Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

All About Doors
Posted By: Colbyt, 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Caption contest Thursday , March 7 to Thursday 14 March

The object of this Challenge is to come up with the most humorous, thoughtful, Original Caption for the displayed photo that will collect the highest number of “likes”.

Submissions can be of any type - caption, limerick, motivational, poem, and speech - whatever inspires you to describe the photo or catch attention.

Contestants may submit more than one entry but it must be in a separate post. Important: whether you submit an entry or not, please “like” any posts you feel deserve it!

The Thread Starter is the moderator and must post an original photo at the start of the thread. Respondents have 1 week to submit entries, after which time the number of “likes” will be totaled to determine a winner. In case of a tie the Thread Starter will choose one to break the tie. The winner of that contest will be notified by PM by the current Thread Starter/Contest Host and will become responsible for posting the next original work to be Captioned.

The winner for any reason can decline by PM to the Host. Then the second most liked entrant will be designated to Host the Contest and so on. Good luck to all entrants, thank you for entering, Now let the fun begin.

Last edited by Colbyt; 03-07-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: change title, I messed it up
Views: 3,289
03-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's Behind The Yellow Door

Midnight, one more night without sleepin'
Watchin', till the morning comes creepin'
Yellow door, what's that secret you're keepin'?

There's an old piano and they play it hot behind the yellow door
Don't know what they're doin' but they laugh a lot behind the yellow door
Wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's behind the yellow door

Knocked once, tried to tell 'em I'd been there
Door slammed, hospitality's thin there
Wonder just what's goin' on in there

Saw an eyeball peepin' through a smokey cloud behind the yellow door
When I said Joe sent me someone laughed out loud behind the yellow door
All I want to do is join the happy crowd behind the yellow door

Midnight, one more night without sleepin'
Watchin', till the morning comes creepin'
Yellow door, what's that secret you're keepin'?

Saw an eyeball peepin' through a smokey cloud behind the yellow door
When I said Joe sent me someone laughed out loud behind the yellow door
AII I want to do is join the happy crowd behind the yellow door
Wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's behind the yellow door.

03-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Inactive Account

What follows is about a green door not a yellow door!

If anyone cares. But why should they. What follows is about a green door not a yellow door!

In his compilation of gay pop anthems, From the Closet to the Charts: Queer Noises 1961-1978, Jon Savage missed a trick: he never told us what was going on behind The Green Door.
"Green door, what's that secret you're keeping?" asked Shakin' Stevens for four weeks on Top of the Pops in 1981. Jim Lowe also had a No 1 hit with the song in the US back in 1956, while in Britain Frankie Vaughan took it to No 2. One might have hoped the Cramps, famed for prurience and sleaze, might provide some answers when they covered it in 1981, but the green door wasn't giving up its secret easily.
The green door actually exists, it's on Bramerton Street, just off the King's Road in west London. If you take a look behind it now, you'll find it's a storage space for a nearby dress shop. So why did so many people feel the need to ask?
We know it wasn't always a storage space from the lyric: "There's an old piano and they play it hot behind the green door/ Don't know what they're doing but they laugh a lot behind the green door/ Wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's behind the green door." Even the code hidden in the lyrics - "Joe sent me", referring to Joe Meek, the gay record producer who oversaw Vaughan's version of the song - doesn't provide much help. As the singer explains: "When I said, 'Joe sent me,' someone laughed out loud behind the green door".
If you want to find out, all you have to do is rent a copy of The Killing of Sister George, the 1968 lesbian-themed film starring Beryl Reid and Susannah York. A 15-minute sequence was filmed behind the green door, which was the entrance to one of London's first lesbian clubs - the Gateways, known to its denizens as the Gates. A lot of its regulars appeared as extras in The Killing of Sister George. So the mystery then can be reduced to the simple fact that it is a man trying to get into a lesbian bar.
The Gateways closed in 1985. You would think that some sort of plaque marking the venue's small role in popular musical history might be considered. After all, there can't be that many doors out there responsible for a song charting in the top 10 on three separate occasions. And there can't be another song that has been played so widely, without anyone knowing what it's really about.

Last edited by Sparkle; 03-08-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: To add
03-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Shirley you jest! I mean “Sparkle” you jest! Perhaps though “Shirley” is my sue de nom. or my real name since “Sparkle” is a term of endearment used by my husband. He says for an old girl I still have “that” sparkle in my eyes. Oh, Oh, it should read “surely” I jest and I surely do. I’m on a roll, being as I use a Walker and a Wheelchair.
03-08-2013, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Inactive Account

If this door were ajar

If this door were ajar it would likely look like this!

Attached Images

03-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charles lacked the imagination to figure out why people didn't think he was on the level. Colourful paint work was of no help either.
03-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
Inactive Account

The address for the building containing this entrance is definitely not along the Yellow Brick Road.
03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Inactive Account

This old man, he played four,
He played knick-knack on my door;
With a knick-knack paddywhack,
Give the dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.

03-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
Inactive Account

striking a door-knocker

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
The Minister was walking down the street and he saw a sweet little girl standing on her tippitoes trying to reach the knocker on a bight yellow door. Concerned, he went over to help and rapped the knocker three times very loudly. 'Great,' said the little girl, now 'run like hell.'
During the war, the big one WWII, when I was a youngster "playing knick-knack or knick knock" was ringing a doorbell (or striking a door-knocker) and running away before being caught by an irate householder. That custom of mischief may be universal.

Last edited by Sparkle; 03-09-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: To add
03-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Inactive Account

This old man

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
This old man, he played four,
He played knick-knack on my door;
With a knick-knack paddywhack,
Give the dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.
The complete song is a Nursery Rhyme to teach children numbers.

It seems “paddywhack” is an English expression dating from around the 17th century and means an Irishman - deriving from the Erse name “Padraig” (as in the presently popular PGA golfer from Ireland, Padraig Harrington), rendered in English originally as “Patterick” and more recently as “Patrick”. In context, “paddywhack” nearly always means someone who's drunk, argumentative or looking for a fight. Hence, I suppose, “this old man came rolling home”.

“play knick-knack” seems to refer to playing the spoons, which is an old Irish tradition.

"Spoon players" hit various parts of their body while banging the two spoons together. This is still an impromptu popular "join in the entertainment" here. People sometimes simply use their hands. In the past if there were no spoons to play two bits of hollow bones - such as cow's ribs would be used. Perhaps a reference to “give the dog a bone”
03-10-2013, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
'Let's get that straight...'
03-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You still have time to to post a caption, but only for a few more days.

And even if you don't do that, please take time to "like" the one(s) you think best.

Last edited by Colbyt; 03-11-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: never post before coffee
03-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #27
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fire-squad in the Shire had until now only had need for one rescue horse and carriage, but after Mr. Frodo's adventures to the dark parts of Middle-Earth the council was flooded with requests to improve this. Now they faced one major problem, where to put a second port of entry for a new carriage?
03-13-2013, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

He now realised that his one leg shorter than the other was becoming obvious in his work.

Last edited by Bramela; 03-13-2013 at 12:21 PM.
03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By my clock this contest is over.

Will post the winner in a few hours.
03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After the first time host, me, finally got his act together for what was a 3 way tie a tough choice was made and ramseybuckeye will be the host for the next challenge. The winning caption is shown below.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It'll take Mike Holmes to make this right.

I enjoyed this stint and look forward to seeing all of you next week it the new thread.