Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge # 236 - Dramatic skies WINNERS!!!
Posted By: jmschrei, 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM

Obviously lots of people enjoy photographing a great sky and, judging by the number of likes accumulated here, they love looking at great sky shots too. Picking a winner from this amazing collection of entries will not be easy and, as usual, I reserve the judge's right to exercise a measure of pure subjectivity. I am not able to comment on each shot individually this time but I will say that I am looking at several things. If there is a foreground element, how well does it complement and frame the sky? If there are no foreground elements how are the tones, textures and details in the sky used to create a balanced,effective composition? Finally the overall impact of the capture of that perfect moment overrides everything else for me.

So, with that in mind:
Honourable mention: atupdate, casil403, charliezap, Bramela and ramseybuckeye

Third place: rjkfam - I like the way the road leads the eye right into that great imposing sky

Second place: Clou - great lighting, detail and composition

First place and next week's host: noelcmn I asked for drama and this is DRAMA!

Views: 2,800
03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Noel and all of the 2nd, 3rd, & HMs. There were so many great pics in this group. I really feel honored to get an HM in this competition. Great job Joe, I thought Noel's pic was number one too, it's special!
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Another great weekly challenge. Great entries and deserving winners.
03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What a dramatic contest this was and not an easy one to judge. Well done jmschrei on the judging. Congrats to all the winners and especially to Noel for the win.

03-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great contest. Thanks Joe for the challenge and the judging and for sharing your thoughts on your judging.
Congratulations Noel for an excellent photo and to the very good work demonstrated by the runners-up and honorable mentions.

Bill
03-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks jmschrei for a great contest. There sure were a lot of great photos of some fabulous skies. Congrats to noelcmn on winning and Clou and rjkfam on 2nd and 3rd place finishes as well as all the hm's.
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done winners, there were so many good photos they were all winners in that sense.

03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first reaction to this announcement "This is crazy! With all these stunning photo's, and I win? Crazy
Second reaction "There's a conspiracy going on here again all things South African. Especially iminating from Canada Making hard work.
Third reaction "Despair- I have to choose a new challenge" Maybe get the second place winner to do that

More seriously, I am honored, and as Arnold rightly said, all are winners. So a congratulations to all the entrants here, a veritable feast for weary eyes. Thank you Joe, and for all the congratulations. CONGRATULATIONS Clou and rjkfam FOR 2ND AND 3RD PLACE. And all the HM's.

FYI, this was taken at a place called Mathekenyane, a huge granite outcrop in the Kruger Park, and one of the few places you are allowed to alight from your vehicle. It gives some wonderful views, and I had thought the storm was going to break out over the area, but instead it moved more north-east and I was able to capture it.
Joe you are right, seems we all love dramatic skies. Here a a few more that did not make the grade.
The same storm

Fish Eagle Flyby

New Challenge will be posted today.
03-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Noel for a stunning winning photo, and congrats to Clou and Rjkfam for lovely winners, as well. Thanks for the topic and for the difficult job of judging, Joe.
03-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow!!! Great shots ALL, and a most amazing winner. Congrats Noel!! Thanks for judging Joe. Great choices among a stellar line-up.