Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Winner Weekly Challenge #241
Posted By: slowpez, 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Well, you guys really made my job almost impossible but it was fun traveling to so many wild and wonderful places. Please remember that all comments are my own and mean absolutely nothing in the world of photography. I enjoyed viewing each and every image and found something pleasing in each one. Thank you all for participating.

ramseybuckeye: you gave us an icon of the American wilderness. A wonderful wild and dangerous place.
SpecialK: hiking four miles up a mountain got me at the start. Definitely wild and untamed.
daacon: Capitol Reef right? Those reds against that unbelievable blue sky with the addition of the cloud formation is gorgeous.
jmshrei: wild and scenic and it looks to be a great place to settle in with a good book to get away from civilization.
bramela: when I look at this I feel lonely, cold, exposed and lost. A desolate scene.
fotogaffer: Antelope Canyon is a mecca for photographers. This is a wonderful image and captures the sandstone formations perfectly.
atupdate: perfect shutter speed and the subdued greens of the trees accentuate the waterfall.
Rense: wide, flat expanse that looks like it goes on forever. No one in sight. Wild looking indeed.
Jessesdad: it is hard to image such a large stretch of wild and untamed beach in this day and age. Nice to know these places still exist.
David0815: swamps always speak to me of wilderness. Hard to tame and uninviting and unforgiving. I like the muted colors of the scene.
Tamia: you have depicted our wild and untamed past that occurred not so long ago.
Clou: love the misty mysterious quality of the B&W.
noelcmn: what invokes images of wild and untamed but the African plains. Beautiful capture of a herd of elephants grazing in the untamed park.
lukulele: minimal plant life adds to the wildness of this scene. Very stark looking peak.
pentaximus: one of my favorite beaches. The ghostly trees emphasize it's wildness and the B&W suits it perfectly.
Mattb123: the yellow-jacketed skier really emphasizes the loneliness and wildness of the place. Danger and space are equally found here.
salty: hard to believe this is the Bronx. The colors are wonderful and who knew you could go wild in NY?
Charliezap: lonely boat on an empty landscape. Quite a story could be made from this image.
Arn: this makes me want to see a little more of the sunset. I keep trying to see around the foreground trees.
Dr. Orloff: beautifully framed. The wonderful textures of the wall surrounding the wildness within. Beautiful.

Whew, I managed to get through them all. What a job.

Honorable Mention: pentaximus. you really captured the wild and lonely aspects of this beach.

3rd Place: Tamia. I shiver to think of what living conditions were like in the winter. A beautiful image.

2nd Place: Dr. Orloff. I really enjoyed the glimpse through the wall in this one. It is wonderful.

And the winner is: bramela. I couldn't get this one out of my mind since you first posted it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/1053-bramela/albums/62-my-photos-...cture58941.jpg

Congratulations everyone and I look forward to the next challenge.
Views: 1,433
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for a great weekly contest slowpez, there were a lot of wonderful submissions! Thanks especially for taking the time to comment on each individual photo. Congratulations to bramela on winning and to Dr. Orloff and Tamia for 2nd and third place finishes, as well as to pentaximus for the HM.
04-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats to all - yes that is indeed Capitol Reef that cloud went from a spec the this size in a matter of 10-15 minutes. Wonder image Bruce and well done Tamia and Dr. Orloff. That was a tough one to judge nice job on the comments Susan.
04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Bruce! That is some awesome shot. Congratulations to Dr Orloff, Tamia and Pentaximus. Thanks for chosing such an inspiring theme Susan!

04-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the first place, one of those shots, I guess, right place/right time. Congrats to Dr Orloff and Tamia, and indeed to all entrants. Well done all.
04-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Bruce, that is indeed a lovely image, and I am tempted to ask "how stable were you?". I feel quite unbalanced just looking at it-rough and tough. Great capture. Congrats too to Dr Orloff, Tamia and Pentaximus. And congrats to Susan for a wonderful challenge (put us all in holiday mode), and equally wonderful judging. Phew! I see the new challenge is already up!
04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Thanks for the first place, one of those shots, I guess, right place/right time. Congrats to Dr Orloff and Tamia, and indeed to all entrants. Well done all.
This was the winner when you posted it, it's an awesome photo and perfect for this theme. Congrats also to Dr Orloff & Tamia. Well done jon Susan!

04-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great competition, some wonderful views. Surprised to get 2nd amongst that lot. Well done to Bramela and Tamia too.
04-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job with an expansive and enjoyable subject, Susan. I enjoyed seeing what everyone came up with, and did NOT envy your judging task. Congratulations to Bruce for such a raw example of nature's power, and to Dr. Orloff for your wonderful example of nature clawing her way back, and Pentaximus for your haunting lonely photo. Thanks for 3rd place, Susan. I'm stunned. There were so many good shots.

Last edited by Tamia; 04-30-2013 at 09:19 AM.
04-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks for the HM. That was a wonderful theme with very worthy entries all around. Thank you, everyone, for a great competition.
04-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Kevin, Tamia and Dr. Orloff. Special congrats to Bruce for an amazing shot. Special thanks to Sue not only for a truly difficult judging task, but also for commenting on all of the entries. WTG slopez!

NaCl(looking forward to the next challenge)H2O
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to Bramela, Dr. Orloff and Tamia! Nice job with the contest, slowpez.