Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Winners: Weekly Challenge #244 "Reflections"
Posted By: NaClH2O, 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM

Yikes! So many good photos! I'm tempted to declare half of them honorable mentions and the other half tied for first. But that's cheating. As for the judging, I'll be honest, it's mostly subjective on my part. It's about what the particular photograph says to me. It's not really much about technical aspects, they are somewhat important, the shot should be in focus, it shouldn't be unintentionally either over or under exposed, and that's about it. If your photo speaks to me, it gets my attention, the more I like something the higher it will score on my own personal scale. All this is to say that if your shot didn't win, place or show doesn't mean it's not good, just that my subjective judgement scored someone else's photo higher. Without further ado, my comments on the shots:

Bramela: Bruce, for some reason I can't see your image any more. Flickr says it's unavailable. Unfortunately I can't comment on something I can't see.

atupdate: Tim, I vaguely remember seeing this image before, I love the kaleidoscopic effect. Nice use of color and form. Well framed and executed.

smf: Stu, what I like about this image is the understatement. I like how the sky is reflected in a blue grey, the building feels like part of the sky, but just a different color.

Tamia: Lovely shape and form. The river is a perfect mirror and I really like the B&W conversion. Highly evocative.

Clou: Michael, I really like how the two reflection are divided and changed by the entrance way slab. The two resemble each other but are different enough to make it really interesting. Well seen.

Slowpez: Sue, One of the reasons I like reflections so much is that they can show us the hidden undersides of things. The Spoonbills foot is much clearer in the reflection as is the end of the bill. Nice capture and the color contrasts of blue water, pink bird and dark red algae are wonderful. Simple shot, but beautiful.

Into the Lens: Ben, I like the juxtaposition of the old shape of the cathedral and the new shape/form of the modern buildings, especially as the spire is reflected in the building in front and then the reflection of the modern building behind the church spire. Nicely done.

Charliezap: I wasn't fooled. But then again I take LOTS of reflection shots. The give away is that the reflection is almost always a bit darker than the object, so the brighter green below gives a big hint that the shot is probably upside down. But well seen and well shot! I hope you have it printed and framed somewhere.

jmschrei: Joe, what I really like about this image is the old building in the foreground contrasting with the reflection of the Tower and the other building in the reflection. The clean straight lines of the older building are a very nice opposite statement to the wavy distortions of the reflections.

Powerstroke 7.3: Nice reflective shot. I like how the dead snag leads the eye off into the distance. I want to be there just relaxing!

Tessfully: Tess, Nice dog! even if he is upside down. I like the humor hidden in the shot. And great water color contrasting with Kenzie's coat. And it looks like he couldn't resist taking a dip.

fotogaffer: Don, A postcard shot! Lovely colors and composition. This is the kind of shot I can NEVER pass up. I'll take about 15 different angles, settings, etc and usually end up keeping the first one I took. Another place I'd like to be right now.

pentaximus: Kevin, another shot that could be turned 180. A perfect mirror indeed. But I betchya the kids had a LOT of fun destroying that perfect reflection. Well captured.

SpecialK: One of the nice things about reflections is that they can give really nice abstract images. There is a small waterfall on the Bronx River and I have several dozen shot of the water and it's reflections just before it goes over the falls. Water abstractions are lovely with their varied shapes, forms colors and movement. It's the kind of image you can contemplate for a long time.

csmoore: Two skys! Nice mirror image and so calm and peaceful. Another shot I'd like to fall into.

daacon: Dave, what can I say? Colorful, a gazillion starbursts, and you get to see it again in the river. What I really think makes this shot tho, is the edge of the ice on the river and how it just barely ruffles the water, giving lovely distortions to the city's reflections.

Maria27: Another wonderfilled abstract. Love not only the reflections but the color refractions as well. And the two straws really make the shot!

Papa Lazarou: Phil, I love this shot. There are two different sets of lines, one from the building leading to a vanishing point, and another set of radial light rays. And I also like how the sky and it's reflection seem to continue without interruption except by the corner of the building. And then there is the contrast of the straight angular lines of the building contrasted with the organic shapes of cloud and sky. Lovely, simply lovely.

Jools: Julio, this image made me laugh. What fun! In my family boullion cubes are known as "square soup". This reminds me a bit of a Magritte painting. A rubrick's cube of boullion cubes floating in the sky! What fun!

Alkazalsir: I was expecting that someone would post a shot with the other meaning of "reflection". Nice peaceful scene and a nice depiction of quiet contemplation.

ramseyebuckeye: Tom, There are so many things happening in this shot! First of all you've got a truck about to drive thru the brick wall of a restaurant, There are two guys that look like they are carrying the reflection of a chair across the street, the side wall? of the restaurant is being threatened by both another building and also some sort of umbrella type structure. It's the Twilight Zone times 6! Nicely seen btw.

Bill 2849: Oh yeah, the Twilight Zone again, but this time it's leading us into Foglands! But cool. And I would bet anything that it gets lots of smiles!

RollsUp: I've taken shots like this but with marsh grasses, not barbed wire! Love the colors and the creepy feeling it gave me. There is a story here...

Deep Throb: Frank, another one of these '17 different things happening here' type shots, love the juxtaposition of mountains, close in shot thru a window, and the other reflection in front of the window.

mtux: Another lovely city scape 2x, actually it's two by two. Great colors and I like the atmosphere, it looks like a slight mist/fog that gives a nice feel to the shot. Well seen and I'm glad you did the hand hold rather than try to rush to where ever to get a tripod. Great technique in the hand hold.

sealonsf: Love the colors, bright blue, duller green and some nice wavey white lines. Not to mention the otter! Nicely captured.

furryurry: Minimalism works well here. White duck, black background and a faint reflection that to me really really makes the shot. Well seen and great pp work.

noelcm: Noel, I hade to look at this a while before I could figure it out. This a one of those shots that makes real look like abstraction. Nicely done!

rugggiex: Andy, as you can tell by my handle I'm a sucker for nautical scenes. I really like the small boat just to the right of the sun line reflection. And great colors!

mecrox: What lovely clouds you have in that room! Makes a perfect story line for the sleeper. What I really like is the golden bits just around her head, like an aura. Nicely done.

Now comes the hard part: As I said above this is all subjective, and there are only small spaces between HM's, 3rd, 2nd and 1st places.

HM's In no particular order. I had to limit myself to 4, otherwise half the photos would be HM's!
mtux Kuala Lampur

mecrox Summer Dreaming

daacon: Night cityscape

tessfully: Kenzie

third place:
This was hard there were several that I wanted to put here, but I went with Maria27's shot because of how it made me smile.

second place:
Charleyzap for his upside down shot of a crystal clear reflection

and drumroll please...
1st place goes to Papa Lazarou; When I first saw this shot I went OH WOW! It just made me want to look at it and stare at it and then look at it some more. Congratulations Phil.

I want to thank everyone who submitted photos. There were so many very very good photos. If I hadn't limited myself to 4, fully 1/2 of the photos could have been HM's! Well done everybody and you did make me sweat!

NaCl(next time I win I'll pick a boring theme)H2O
Views: 2,492
05-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Sorry about my shot disappearing, a technical hitch there. Doesn't matter, the winner was very deserved anyway, as were all the other commended shots. Well done, all.

*I had a duplication in Flickr and removed the wrong one..duh.
It IS there, after all as Noelcm says. Oh well, I don't work that out, but no matter now.

05-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
It IS there, after all as Noelcm says. Oh well, I don't work that out, but no matter now.
The disappearing/re-appearing egret. Bruce, the image wasn't there when I was doing the judging on Thur. night, I even tried finding in on Flickr but no go. I was surprised to find it was back on Friday morning. I'm sorry I didn't get to comment on it. I have no idea where it went, but I hope it had a good time while it was there!

NaCl(maybe it's reflection scared it away?)H2O
05-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done ALL! Kudos to Papa Lazarou, Charliezap and Maria27 and the Honorable mentions. Fantastic job of evaluating and judging Salty! I think this topic needs to come up more often.
05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WOW, just found out that my photo was picked. I am speechless, especially looking at the other shots in this thread. Some of them are just amazing! Me - i'm a complete novice, only started shooting in January. At least not all of my pictures are hopeless then.

I'll post up a theme for the next competition in a few minutes. Really looking forward to seeing what you guys and gals come up with.

Thanks again

Phil

05-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all, thanks to everyone who posted, and thanks to Salty for the judging and for the comment on my photo.