Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
P52-5-27: Colour — Colourful WINNERS!
Posted By: Tamia, 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks to Tsukiouji for stretching us with this last week's P52 topic this time around, which was Triadic, Tetradic and Square Color Harmonies. This was a tough assignment for entrants AND the judge! There's a lot of information to juggle and keep in mind when choosing what to photograph for this theme. I suspect that many of us are instinctively drawn to photograph scenes that include harmonious color combinations. But to actually go looking for those pictures is another thing altogether.

Enough throat clearing. Time for judging, which is never easy, and this time around was particularly difficult. In assessing the photos I looked for the usual solid photographic techniques like composition, but also whether the images fits the theme of this contest. I'm no expert on color theory or practice, so there's an inevitable amount of subjectivity in my selections of winners, and it was a very tough one to judge because everyone did so good a job. But here goes, with comments on each entry first and winners later:

Tess/Tessfully: You chose to create a still-life to fit the theme, and have a tetradic combination of colors (blue, violet, golden-yellow, orange-red) that work very well together. Your recent work with abstracts shows, too. The glass "sculpture" is a kind of wheel (a metaphor for a color wheel?). I like the spoked effect, the smooth and harmonious gradation of hue, the highlights, and the patches of bolder color. The composition is strong and carries my eye around the picture, but the sharply focused "hub" is a solid focal point to create a strong image with many pleasing elements.

Maria/Maria27: Violet, golden-yellow, and dark green creates your triadic color combination, and a very pleasing one it is, too. By looking straight down onto the open bloom and centering the flower, then surrounding it with a darker background, the eye is drawn to the delightfully bright golden-yellow highlights. Low light also intensifies the gold and violet hues, and the softness of the picture makes it a very pleasing composition. A fine entry for this contest.

Patrick/Patrick9: Serendipity guided you toward the making of what's, to me, a evocative photograph. (What kid hasn't enjoyed using chalk to draw on sidewalks?) The colors fit the theme, with the predominant impact being muted examples of blue, violet, green, red, and yellow for a rectangular tetradic color harmony. The color balance is very pleasing, the chunky pieces give the photo weight, and the obvious texture instantly brings to mind the dusty feel of chalk in hand. A great job.

Noel/Noelcmn: No need for a shrink! A beautiful scene with a tetradic color scheme where the golden-yellow and orange of the low sun, painted clouds, and reflections brighten a predominately blue and purple scene. The warm brown landmass in the bottom of the photo gives weight and helps unify the picture without taking away from the spectacle of color. The anglers -- with a touch of bright red! -- balance the composition and provide a strong focal point in what is already a beautiful shot. Well done.

Joe/jmschrei: Another pleasing flower photo with a triadic color arrangement. The composition and limited depth of field lend depth and place the scene in a larger context. Out of focus pink and golden flowers on the neutral off-white background help carry the eye around the photo, but always the eye returns to the sharp blooms in the foreground and the green leaves that help frame them. A splendid example of the theme.

Tom/Ramseybuckeye: Rich orange, green, and violet make for another triadic color scheme (practically an equilateral triangle, if one's a geometrically minded photographer or artist). The dark green hues frame the butterfly, while the clover's (am I right on the ID?) intensity is more muted, thus enhancing rather than competing with the main subject. I'd say this is a successful example for this theme. Well spotted.

And now the moment we've all been waiting for. So here goes...

Honorable Mentions: Maria, Joe, and Tom

Third Place: Patrick

Second Place: Noel

First Place and Next Week's Judge: Tess

Congratulations to you all for attempting (and succeeding) in this tough challenge. And thanks again to Tsukiouiji for moderating and choosing it!
Views: 1,056
07-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+Congratulations and well done Tess, yours being the first entry in this set the bar very high and probably kept some from trying. Noel and Patrick well done also. Noel, it looks as though you could have colored that scense with Patrick's chalk. Tamia, well done on the judging, as you always do! Good challenge all!
07-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Tess and Noel on splendid shots. Thank you Tamia on judging a tough challenge
07-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for the honours Tamia and for being such an awesome thoughtful judge. I loved all the entries this week and thought the chalk and sunset very creative and beautiful. I had to enter early as my whole week was tied up and if I didn't take some time to do the shoot and get a submission in I would have had to sit this out. Thank you so much for the "likes" too!

I wonder what this weeks challenge is ... ? .... let's go see

07-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a stunning collection of entries, and a worthy winner that one Tess-CONGRATULATIONS. I like it, I am drawn to look at it again and again, not just the colors, but the abstracts too. Congratulations Patrick-I'm coming for lessons on how to make something so simple, even boring, look stunningly attractive. Thanks for the 2nd place-now I really need to go and see a .... shrink Tamia, really appreciate your expertise here, and your kind comments. So informative and helpful. Well done everyone, and a loud PHEW from me-seeing that that one is supposed to be the toughest for color. I'm breathing easier! Never mind that the asthma is subsiding!
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Such a wonderful shot Tess, congrats! And also to Noel and Patrick.
Thanks Tamia for judging and commenting. It was not an easy challenge, so well done to everyone
07-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
wonder what this weeks challenge is ... ? .... let's go see
Am I missing it? I don't see the next challenge . I am asking because some times I look at or for something and over look it. I blame it on age

07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, everyone!
Stu
07-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I wonder what this weeks challenge is ... ? .... let's go see
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Am I missing it? I don't see the next challenge . I am asking because some times I look at or for something and over look it. I blame it on age
Oh, I'm deeply sorry. I must have been overheated or something. I remember clearly to compose this week's post days ago, carefully handpicking urls of previous years winners, but since it is nowhere to found (I even searched for my latest posts, to see if I posted an announcement as a some threads reply) I could have closed my browsers tab without posting. I'm sorry.
07-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsukiouji Quote
Oh, I'm deeply sorry. I must have been overheated or something. I remember clearly to compose this week's post days ago, carefully handpicking urls of previous years winners, but since it is nowhere to found (I even searched for my latest posts, to see if I posted an announcement as a some threads reply) I could have closed my browsers tab without posting. I'm sorry.
I am glad that that is all it is. I was afraid you may not have been well. Or I was trying to hard and over looking it.
07-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsukiouji Quote
No worries, Tsukiouiji. For what it's worth, you may have hit the POST button and it might then have been lost in the aether. I had a similar experience last week when I thought I'd posted to the forum on another subject. The post vanished after I'd composed and sent.