Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly Challenge #50 - EXPRESSIONS - FINALISTS
Posted By: Mallee Boy, 03-22-2008, 06:31 PM

When I was invited to do this last week, my first thought was to make you all get up early and take Sunrise shots, which hasn't been done yet. But somehow that did not seem challenging enough for you mob...so I came up with "Expressions".
However, I also figured that that may open up pandora's box of interpretation thus the challenge was worded as follows:

"Welcome to Weekly challenge 50.

EXPRESSIONS.

You see them every day, on the faces of those you live with, work with and play with.
And I am not just talking about people.
I will be looking for not only a technically good photo but one that meets the age old criteria of "a picture is worth a thousand words". "
So with those words here are my Finalists & Winner.

Many of the submissions told me the beginning or the end of the story...but not the whole story.

Firstly an Honourable Mention for creativity of definition goes to Salty with his Orchids and tpeace for the live Greek Theatre Masks. Very clever.

The following is a long list of finalists and the reasons they have made it thus far (eventual winner is included in THIS list):

Russblack's cat in the sink: A great capture. The cat obviously sees nothing wrong with the pose, afterall, doesn't everyone pose in the sink? Classic.

Stratman & Sophie: Indeed tells me that the cat is not going to be allowed a peaceful snooze and Sophie's "who me" is a classic capture.

KrisK10D: My first reaction when this photo scrolled onto my screen was to apologise to the young fella for intruding on him. Love it.

Seamius: My first reaction when I saw this one was to let out a very loud laugh. Hope her curiosity is satisfied.

lost: Classic expression, but like so many...left me wondering what it was all about.

leadbelly: This tells me everything about the moment. Good capture a precious scene that will be looked back on for a lifetime.

looms: Another classic capture...keep that one handy for the 21st Birthday Party photo wall.

property#1: So many captions could go on this..."just down a bit" etc etc

Mike L: thought there may have been more like this, but leaves me wanting to know more.

jshurak: certainly surprised! very good shot.

fletcherkane: I have absolutey no idea what the song was...but I can feel it.

atupdate: Technically excellent. So much emotion.

aaalegre: Glad he's a mate!

Finn: Not wanting to get into a scrap about US politics, but this "here, you can have
this back" shot could find its way into advertising for the other side. Great capture.

Nyphotographer: Stunning expression that contains thoughts only known to the wearer.

Gaelen: this is probably the classic "brave face".

Techiechick: OOh yeah...beware this young miss. Obviously not at all happy and retribution is being planned.

Still with me?....this is bloody hard going!!

So lets cut to it; the Final 5 & winner........after much consideration.....(drum roll)

5th: Techiechick. (classic pout shot that will probably follow this young miss at every
momentous occasion in her life)

4th: Fletcherkane. (this shot reached out and connected with me, lots of feeling)

3rd: leadbelly. (Never ever lose this photo, it just says so much.)

2nd: Seamius. (still laughing....could have been #1 but technically not quite up to the winner....Expressions are priceless)

1st: atdupdate. (if you are not touched by this photo then you haven't got a heart)

Congratulations atdupdate. Challenge # 51 is all yours.

Hope you have had as much fun as I have, and thanks to all who have contributed.
Cheers Grant.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 05-22-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Views: 3,943
03-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
SouthShoreRob

Excellent selection. IMHO, there was never any doubt.
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent choice and congrats to all the HM's as well.
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys....now if someone could teach me how to edit/prepare this type of post I would be very appreciative. I can not seem to be able to add text above a photo....help ?

03-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the mention and I agree with the others. You made a great choice as to the winner.
03-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #7

atupdate - a wonderful photo, a well deserved 'win' - congrats as well at all the other 'placers' and honourable mentions - another strong weekly challenge.

GWP thanks again for doing the 'honours' this week - a job well done!

03-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great stuff! Congrats atupdate, well deserved capture. And, thanks for the mention, GWP. Very honoured
03-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats to ALL who entered and to the winners - I certainly wouldn't have known what to do, had I been the "judge".

Eventually, the winner WAS a great choice.
03-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

GWP,

Thanks for choosing my image as the winner this time. There were so many great images this challenge that it was a must read every time I logged on. I'll try to get the next challenge up within a day (I'll have to think hard about a subject).

Tim
03-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Thanks guys....now if someone could teach me how to edit/prepare this type of post I would be very appreciative. I can not seem to be able to add text above a photo....help ?
Grant,
There are 2 ways to do this. The first is to do a normal download. Start a thread or post and go to 'go advanced' below the text box, near the bottom of the screen is 'manage attachments'. Click on that and upload the photo(s) to the site. If you leave that alone you get all the shots added to the bottom of your post. But if you go to the first tool I marked in the graphic below (looks like a paper clip) you can insert a single shot wherever your cursor is. Then you can type a caption above or below.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  33.0 KB

and you will see something like this pop up indicating your image has been inserted.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  62.6 KB

The second way to do it (and gives better resolution as well for your own photos) is to download the shot to the gallery here on PF. Then open the gallery in a second window and open that shot. Click on the shot to see the larger size all by itself (the file that is saved on the server for the gallery).
Then cut and paste the URL from that photo. and you get this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/2071/1_candle_7010.jpg
not this:
User Photo Gallery - Abstract

Now highlight the entire URL and hit the second tool that I marked on the graphic above. It looks like a mountain that is in a picture frame and is pale yellow. You will get this:

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  38.9 KB

Which results in an image posted this way:

and you can put captions above and below the shot.

Hope that helps.
Great job judging BTW

Last edited by Peter Zack; 03-23-2008 at 06:12 AM.
03-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
Banned

damn, didn't expect to get second! Thank you very much. I guess I still have a lot to learn about photography basics though. again thank you, and congratulations to everyone this was a great challenge.
03-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

And I didn't expect to be third! And... seeing all the great photos, it must've been a challenge in itself to be able to choose the top 5! Much so a winner! And congrats to atdupdate! When I saw that photo (and the one from fletcherkane) I thought "now there's a winner right there!"

Can't wait for the next challenge!
03-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well done all and congrats to everyone. atdupdate that is a classic for sure!

Last edited by daacon; 03-23-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Can't spell or type
03-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well done, atdupdate! The shot is priceless.

Congrads to everyone who participates in the weekly competition and makes this a wonderful game each week!