Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Winners #254 Nobody At the Park
Posted By: Paleo Pete, 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM

Tough one to judge, some really cool shots here. I forgot to include the time frame in the original description, should have been today at 11:59, sorry about that. It's actually a couple of hours later but I won't tell if you won't...

slowpez - Excellent shot, perfect example of the theme. I like the composition, some may think the trees are a distraction but I kinda think they add to the overall shot and accent the scene, as if they're standing watch over things.

sealonsf - Very good job of a tough lighting situation. You even managed to hide the light creating the blown out reflection in the pond, impossible to avoid the bright reflection I'm pretty sure.

Jools - I'm not a fan of fisheye lenses, most people tend to really over use them, and especially in situations where they don't really work. This is a fine example of a scene where it does work, plenty straight lines to give it a surreal look, I like the composition and the one swing seat in the foreground that is almost not distorted at all. Really good background for it too. Nice job.

Tamia - Great shot, what more can I say. Oh wow moment for sure.

scratchpaddy - Another great shot, the background in this one is amazing. I wanna sit on that bench and point a 28mm the other direction. Except that it would be right into the sun...if I had been there I would have never thought to get that bench in a shot.

atupdate - Yet another excellent shot, I think the perspective here is the best thing about it. The shadows and snowdrifts give it some very nice texture.

Bramela - Until I spotted the park benches I wondered what the...??? Looks like a great place to sit back on a bench and look for some Pigeons to feed.

Johan Holmgren - Another one with some really tough lighting to deal with. One the one hand if you expose so the sky is not blown out the foreground is a dark blur, expose to bring out the foreground and the sky gets blown out...this is probably the best compromise of the two. I didn't like it at first but the more I look the better I like the treeline against the sky and clouds.

charliezap - Excellent picture, great job of capturing this scene.

photolady - Nice scene, I have a friend who is a WWII vet, I can see him sitting on a bench telling war stories...really good picture of it, I think I would have included the top of the tree on the right though.

Alkazalsir - Another very good shot, makes you wonder where the kids went.

jmschrei - That's just a killer shot, no self respecting kid could pass that place up.

jheu02 - Just amazing. One of the best perspective shots I've seen in a while. The mist makes it really nice.

NaClH20 - The crooked sign does do a lot for this one, nice job. I liked it at first glance, before even reading your comments.

Neville - Another killer shot, the colors just jump off the screen, background is nice.

casil403 - Another very nice winter shot, I like the way it fades into a blur in the middle. And dogs would have been ok, I didn't say no animals, just no kids...then again a lot of kids these days are animals...

paulh - Another great shot, the walkway winding through the picture makes it very interesting.

Clou - One more killer winter scene, and another example of great use of perspective. Not a lot of people who live in warmer climates realize how hard it is to get a good exposure in snow scenes and without it winding up looking grey or blue...

noelcmn - You should have digitally removed your comment about the black spot in Clou's picture, I never noticed it till you blabbed... Great job on that shot, another place no self respecting kid could pass up.

OK...can I pick 16 first place winners and a couple of honorable mentions?

As I said this is going to be a tough one, just about every one of these shots is excellent, you people have succeeded in making me wish I had never gotten myself into this...

So here goes...

Third place has to go to Jools for such a creative shot. Just because I don't like a fisheye lens doesn't mean it can't get a great shot if used well. And this one was used well.

Second place..is a tie between about 6 people...especially every one of the winter shots, but I think I have to go with a tie between scratchpaddy and Clou, never mind the errant black spot, that's still a killer shot.

And first place was the one that jumped out at me at first glance, jheu02 with that really nice perspective shot in the mist.

Honorable mentions - jmschrei, atupdate, Tamia, Neville and NaClH20.

I've been sitting here looking through these for an hour trying to decide, I could have listed a 3 way tie for everything...and a half dozen honorable mentions. Great job by everyone who participated, every one of these is a very good picture. Definitely a good group of wall hangers here...
Views: 1,983
08-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK I don't know what I did wrong, but I tried to include the 2nd and 3rd place shots, not sure if the IMG tag just didn't work or what...sorry guys, I tried...
08-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I thought I might have a chance to win this one, but then jheu02's shot rolled in, and I though, "Oh, no..." And, Clou, your frigid amusement park shot was my favorite of the lot. I'm honored to share 2nd place with you.

Good job Pete, and thanks for the great topic and taking the time to comment on all the shots. I love lonely bench shots, so when I visited Zabriskie Point in Death Valley, that bench was the first thing I noticed, of all things.
08-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Congratulations jheu02. Excellent pics all. Looking forward to the next challenge.

08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job judging Pete and appreciate your making comments on all the photos. This was a tough one but congrats goes to jheu on a wonderful shot and to jools, scratchpaddy and clou on second and third place.. Congrats also to the HM's. Can't wait to see the next challenge.
08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congratulations John, well done!!

Thanks Pete for the comments on mine. Yes, looking at that tree I should have included the top or just cropped that one out.

Congrats to the honorable mentions too. Well done!
08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks to Pete for coming up with this great subject, for judging, commenting and the third place mention.
Congrats to John for a lovely image I still remember from a Single in ... challenge. Kudos to scratchpaddy and clou for second place and the HMs.
A real nice assortment of interpretations in this round. Thanks to all.

08-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for a great challenge Billy and taking time to comment on each shot. Thanks for the HM and congrats to all the winners, especially John for his somber winning shot.
08-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the challenge Pete, & congrats to the winners
08-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a wonderful shot Jheu02, love the perspective, and the mist only adds to the appeal. Great shot and a worthy winner, Congratulations. And to the 2nd and 3rd places. and the HM's. Thanks PP for a most interesting subject, and for judging and commenting on all the entries. The weekly challenges are such fun, and keeps producing excellent creativity and skills. And there I go and spoil it with notes about black spots-naughty me
OK, Jheu02, over to you.
08-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was a tough one for sure, I wanted to make every one of the winter time shots a tie for second place, and Neville's shot too...all just amazing...if I could have just done a dozen 1st place and a couple of honorable mentions that would have been fine with me...I never expected such a wide range of interpretations, and didn't see a couple of things I expected...a killer backlit jungle gym, and a swing in the air, having just been jumped out of...great job everyone.
08-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #12

Thank you for hosting and commenting Pete, well judged. Congratulations jehu02 great shot. Congrats to the runner ups scratchpaddy, Clou, jools and the HMs.
This is fun!
08-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
This was a tough one for sure, I wanted to make every one of the winter time shots a tie for second place, and Neville's shot too...all just amazing...if I could have just done a dozen 1st place and a couple of honorable mentions that would have been fine with me...I never expected such a wide range of interpretations, and didn't see a couple of things I expected...a killer backlit jungle gym, and a swing in the air, having just been jumped out of...great job everyone.
Pete, you done good.
Coming up with a theme and then seeing/judging the various interpretations is daunting. One moment one sees one sequence of images then another. Really a testament to some good photography on this forum. I often just come here to absorb and seek inspiration. The learning never ends.
08-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job, Pete. A tough contest to judge, and thanks for commenting on everyone's photos. Thanks also for the HM. Congratulations John -- love the BW conversion and the subject -- and to all the other podium placers.

I often just come here to absorb and seek inspiration. The learning never ends -Jools

I couldn't agree more with Julio on this.
08-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I'm honored. I thought it may have been on the edge for fitting the theme even though it was shot at a park. A lot of great entries. Now to come up with a new theme...