Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
P52-5-33: Subject — Bridges WINNERS!
Posted By: Tamia, 08-28-2013, 01:08 PM

This week's P52 challenge was Bridges, and though we got off to a slow start, in the end we had a modest turnout, and I'm very pleased with the quality of entries. Thank you all for your efforts! Of course, whenever the entries are uniformly of high quality, choosing a winner becomes an even harder job than usual for the judge. In addition to good photographic technique, subjectivity plays a role in assessing entries. So let's get to it in order of submission:

Brice/Alkasalsir: A very blue photo, with plenty of angles and strong leading lines drawing the viewer into the mysterious distance. What's at the end of the line? Good and sharp, with every rivet-head and every netting shadow line crisp. Along with the trestle, the trees on the other side hint at a deep valley below, giving the photo a sense of "bridgeyness." (How's that for a word?) Very good.

Noel/noelcmn: This shot borders on sublime, with fine lighting, dabs of bright color, and bold shapes. The cyclist crossing the bridge only improves the shot, lending scale to that impressive and stylish structure. The cable stays lead the eye toward the cyclist in a striking way, emphasizing the solid yet static nature of the bridge and its purpose in one go. There's tension and serenity combined. An inspired capture.

Patrick9: It might be a simple structure, but the bridge is effective and handsome in its simplicity. The missing board somehow enhances the picture, a kind of wasi-sabi imperfection that adds beauty to this inviting scene. The dry-stone channel leads the eye into the photo, where the bridge is a contrary line, with the cool pool beyond a trail, requiring decision, a small bit of tension... linger or move on? And knowing that this is a Civil War battlefield conjures up thoughts of what it might have looked like, sounded like, smelt like, during a period of turmoil. Well done.

Gareth.lg: Another handsome bridge, and an unusual photographic angle that enhances its appeal. Great idea to include the young chap for scale, and also to emphasize the purpose of this as a pedestrian bridge over a river quite a distance below. Dramatic scenery only improves the picture, and the hint of something Big off to the upper right lends even more appeal. Top notch.

(As a side note for anyone who's interested, the history of La Manche (now a provincial park) is worth a read.)

Savoche: A beautiful and dramatic scene, sharp, well composed, and mysterious, with a solid functional bridge that has interesting engineering elements. The wide-angle focal length and time of day (or, I should say, evening) are good choices that make a strong image. The bridge pulls the viewer deep and to the vanishing point, and everything about the shot makes me want to see where this bridge leads. I can almost hear my solid wooden footfalls and feel the breeze on my face. Good work.

John/Jheu02: Well worth the wait, John. This takes the cake for number of bridges in one shot! It's like one of those nested Russian dolls. The more deeply you go, the more bridges you see. Great capture and lines, with reflections on the Susquehanna River's (I believe) surface doubling the pleasure. The steel supports of the Walnut Street Bridge are a strong counterpoint to its own stone arches and the concrete ones in subsequent bridges along the river. Light reflected from the river to the undersides of the bridge arches adds to the picture's depth, while the mid-range telephoto perspective fills the frame with the subject material. An intriguing and beautiful picture that offers artistic appeal while also hinting at the nature of Harrisburg's industrial history.

Neville: You're on time! More rails -- love them -- and this bridge looks as if it's undergone a number of alterations and modifications in its lifetime, which makes it an interesting study and an intriguing photo, as well as an apt entry for this theme. Its purpose is clear, and the composition carries the viewer arond the picture without being confused. Backlighting is effective, too, helping to emphasize the solid form of the bridge. Overall a very effective shot.

Allan/Scottiedug: Welcome to the Pentax Forums, Allan. It's always good to have new members participating in the weekly challenges. The perspective you chose for your photo effectively highlights the solid build and craftsmanship of the stonework. (I half expect Fred Dibnah to steam by, may he rest in peace.) The river is low, but the bridge supports are high, making it clear that this bridge was built to withstand seasonal high water. The lush foliage only helps enhance this beautiful setting and handsome bridge. I really like the muted lighting here, as well as the dark shadows. Well done.

Well, now to the hard part, choosing a winner. Before doing that, though, I'll say that I love bridges from an architectural and engineering point, of view as well as from an artistic perspective, so I've really enjoyed seeing what you've all come up with. Thanks to you all once more! So here goes...

Third Place: John/Jheu02

Second Place: Allan/Scottiedug

First Place (and next week's judge): Noel/Noelcmn!

Views: 1,255
08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent comments on the photos and 3rd place nod. I had a hard time choosing one from my Harrisburg shots. Noel's was my choice also for lighting and lines.

Just one note about my shot though: the steel bridge isn't resting on the stone supports, it's a separate bridge entirely, and a city-block closer to the camera than the one below it. It's an optical illusion. Map showing the location

Last edited by jheu02; 08-28-2013 at 02:16 PM.
08-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done Noel, Allen, and John! Good job Tamia! Sorry I wasn't able to get a bridge this week, but the competition was really stiff!
08-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well judged as always. Thanks for the great commentary on the pictures. Also, Well deserved winners.

Also, great link for LaManche!

08-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations John, Allen, and Noel.
Thanks Tamia for the kind words and commentary on each shot, and for judging this contest .
08-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Thanks Tamia for the critique. This is one of my favorite bridges as it leads to the 17 miles of bike trail that ends up just about 4 miles from my parents house. It's a great ride and always worth the trip. This bridge sets at the trailhead and is the "gateway" for the rest of the trip.
It was some very stiff competition and I agree with the placing. So glad I didn't have to judge this one.
Congrats Noel on a magnificent shot and on the win. Very beautifully done.
Congrats also to Allen and John. Allen, that looks like a great place to start a hike. With a dry bag full of water and snacks and a rubber raft, I bet it would be a nice little trek up river.
And John, the angle! What a shot! That takes a very well trained eye to see and I am glad you shared it with us.
Again, Thanks Tamia and so glad I didn't have to judge this one.
08-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh boy! I'm somewhat stunned. There I was having a personal critque of the photo "how can you go and cut of the end of the bridge and hope to win". Thank you Tamia, I apprecaite the win. Literally a few last minutes I had, and I have about 20 or so shots of this bridge-all of them long exposures- so a rather precarious exercise when it came to time management. It paid of, and I am grateful. This round of P52 had a much better turnout, and as mentioned high quality entries, so I feel very honoured, Funny how bridges enjoy such attention from photographers. Congratulations Jheu02 and Scottiedug. Way to go Scottie , 3rd posting and already on the podium. Thank you Tamia for judging (you are an expert on this I am gathering as we chug along) and as always I appreciate your non-critical and positive appreciation of other photographers work. And crickey, I can't participate in the next P52-one of my favourites-reflections
And I should add this forum is not good for my budget. Every now and then you get links to places that suddenly you want to see and visit. LaManche is added to the list. Any day now I will start living on bread and water-the rest goes to the Noel's dream-trip-courtesy-PF.
Now for some reflections.

08-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great entries, indeed! Kudos to all of the participants!