Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners #258 The Moon as an Element
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM

This was difficult, not only was the quality of the entries outstanding, there were 31 of the! here we go:

Neville: This is really good, I really like your vision here to see the two light sources as one scene. I also like the long focal length you used to get that big moon look. Good colors and exposure to not blow anything out on this.

Tamia: Great catch on that rare salmon sky. You picked a nice interesting tree line with high and low points, deciduous and confer trees. And of course the added clouds are a bonus. Well done on the exposure .

Tim (atupdate): Not an entry but I like you creativity here anyway. I have several photos from that same room at the Air Force Museum and never dreamed of trying this.

Tess: That’s a nice look through the trees combined with that great reflection, I really like that you used that leaning tree, it just adds interest for me. I like how that cloudy moon creates that jagged reflection, maybe with a little help from ripples in the water?

Charlie: Man, what a great story to go along with this killer image. That’s what I call “planned luck”, a great idea and fantastic when it actually happens. Even with all the planning and “luck” sometimes you can miss, but you absolutely nailed this one.

Don (fotogaffer): Two in a row with a jet and the moon, although nothing alike. This is a cool photo too. Your captured that twilight very well with some great timing. The jet stream line and moon look cool with that nice graduated blue sky. With the moon this high in the sky the jet was just what it needed. The included treetop adds a nice anchor to the photo.

Jools: To me you’ve really showed how to use the clouds as a diffuser of the moonlight and backlight those trees. That effect really brings some new colors to the clouds.

Kyle (SpecialK): Brilliant idea using famous astronomers at an observatory to showcase a lunar image. I didn’t think we’d get many daytime moons because who thinks of it, it’s very creative and well done. I know you didn’t really get to choose the time you took it at this angle, kind of at the mercy of the moon, but the shadows on the monument really work well here too.

Peter (NaClH2O AKA Salty): What a beautiful sky, you done well missing those lines I’m glad you weren’t run over. I really like the composition here whether composed in camera or cropped or combined, perfect position on the moon. I really didn’t expect to see and image where the clouds were such a strong element. Well done.

Ron (p38arover): Well I don’t think for a minute the moon “just appeared at the right spot” for this one, take some credit. Definitely above the gap in the land formation is a pretty cool spot to see the moon. That would be really cool to see it rise there., obviously with the cool shadow that was a very early rising moon, well before sunset. You’ve presented a very nice array of colors here, good stuff.

Savoche: I’m really sorry that you’ve decided to submit an unfit lousy photo, because if that is the case I really want to see your good stuff. This is an amazing landscape, it would be good even without the moon. I love the colors and light here. Not bad for something from you scrap heap!

Arnold: You’ve got some good colors and interesting scenery here, but a bit of a blowout (and a little tilted). I do like the ships in the background and the foreground is very interesting, I just think you needed a little shorter exposure. It is still photo that is very interesting, enough to play with in photoshop.

Bruce: That’s a nice big moon in the clouds. I’m not sure if maybe it’s because cropped a lot with that ISO1600, but it has a kind of a painted effect. Nice touch.

Arjay Bee: The moon coming through the clouds is a nice backdrop to your musician, I think it makes the photo more interesting, without it I would have guessed indoors with the theatrical lighting. I also enjoyed the video on Tjupurru and his Didgeribone, it give stomping ground a new meaning, it’s cool.

Sandy: I think this our first Q in the thread, of course it’s allowed (unless overruled). That is pretty impressive detail from that little camera. In this picture I see the tree as more of the backdrop for the moon. You did a nice job of balancing the composition too. I’m looking forward to seeing what else that Q7 can do.

Scotty: Similar but different that Sandy’s above. I applaud your use of 500 mm to shoot this, You got that BIG moon that I like to see, and those eerie out of focus tree limbs.

John (jheu02): I would have guessed an airplane shot if you didn’t tell us with that sea of clouds below. I like the colors of this, I personally would like this one better if the moon wasn’t dead center, but that’s just my own preference. I think the stratified color layers are really cool! I do see this as a CD cover. And I am listening to Pink Floyd, scary!

Dave (daacon): Well I thought scotty’s photo was eerie, this one is really there. I love shooting in fog (some say I’m usually in a fog) I like this use of the fog, or very low clouds. Your moon has that nice glow that you get with light clouds. Let me guess Dave, you howled at least once, didn’t you?

Noel: Very nice “humble” submission. There is a lot going on here, I’m drawn to the interesting sky and the reflections., especially the moon’s reflections bouncing in the water. I’m guessing dusk?

Stephen: This one is quite interesting, as I think you know that I like your photos of steam driven trains. I love the composition of this one, and you did get pretty lucky with those clouds showing up. I noticed the painterly effect in the clouds so I had to look at the EXIF, ISO 12800, wow! But I don’t think it hurts this image at all, it looks like art. Cool shot!

Sealonsf : I think a lot of the participants here had this idea, you chose a nice crescent moon and had that clear sky. I like the nice inverted arch through the trees as a frame. Maybe not competing because there several variation of trees and moons here, but a nice shot none the less, this one looks like a logo background.

Spikerock: This a beautiful moonlit sky with a nice landscape below, well composed, the silhouette of the barren trees in front of the beautiful sky is very nice. This is just a pleasing landscape. Good job.

Yucel (smldmr): This is a very good long exposure, you’ve got that great effect of the moving clouds diffusing the moon’s light, whilce showing great detail on the ground. Well done.

mattb123: Wow Matt, those are some incredible colors, well composed, just beautiful. It’s guys like you taking photos like this that give the DA15 such a good name. It would be hard to ride away from that view.

Nightfly: This is a pretty full moon rising over the hill. The great detail in the trees tell be you still had a little daylight behind you. Perfect timing to get that perfect exposure.

hongzhibin1987: A nice pic of the moon, but it doesn’t really fit the theme here.

Marc-Antoine (mamethot): I think this is our first and only fisheye of the challenge. There’s lot to view here and a lot to like. The interesting clouds and the well lit pools below, this looks like a difficult job balancing your exposure, you did well!

David (IS050): This is a familiar theme here with the trees, but a good job none the less. The nice silhouette of the trees in front of the moonlit clouds really stands out, well done.

Kiberkli: Welcome to the forum and challenges! See first line in the post above. You went with more of an individual tree, with one behind it for a different look. I would have actually like this better if you had cropped out the tree limbs in the upper right corner, a bit distracting to me. Another very well exposed photo.

Jim (jascar): I see you are also pretty new to the forums so welcome! This is an excellent landscape or bridgescape! This has a nice balance and you elevation really works well to see the distant ridges. I just like looking at this! Good stuff!

Nico (ngrk): This is pretty landscape with some cool colors and a nice graduated sky. Again, my preference would be that moon is not in the center. Beautiful!

I hope I did not miss any, please let me know if I did, these are all worthy photos and I appreciate all the entries, well done all.
I am giving honorable mentions to jascar, mamethot, smldmr, mattb123, Neville, and Salty.
Unfortunately (for me) I am charged to pick a winner. Well I can’t make up my mind between charliezap’s photo and Stephen of Hamshire’s photo. So I’m declaring them both winners! I would like for them to both host a challenge next week, but then we could go out on control, so due to Charlie getting the most likes, he can host the next challenge.

Stephen of Hampshire

charliezap:

Views: 1,430
09-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow Tom I was just going to log on to say what a tough job you were going to have, only to see you have already completed the task! This was a great topic for a challenge and it generated a lot of interest, obviously, and some superb submissions. Thanks for taking the time to comment individually on all these many photos, and for your comments on mine. Well done! Great choice for winners and congrats to StephenHampshire and charliezap on winning the challenge.
09-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well what can I add. Kudos to Charlie and Stephen for a pair of captivating images. And to the HM's as well. Lovely work.
Really a good challenge with fabulous entries all around.
And of course, to Tom for coming up with this challenge, hosting and judging; a much appreciated thanks. Well done.
09-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sure don't envy you having to judge this contest, Tom -- excellent job on an inspired subject, especially as it was the full moon tis week. Congratulations to Charlie and Stephen for super shots, and 'grats as well to the runners up.

09-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent job judging a fun contest and congrats to the worthy winners. As a side note, I normally don't center things in my images, but with this one it seemed a perfect time to "break the rules."
09-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, Tom, you deserve a whiskey on this one. Great theme, and equally great judgement, and comments, all of which is appreciated. Congratulations Charliezap, and Stephen. And the honourable mentions jascar, mamethot, smldmr, mattb123, Neville, and Salty. What a visual feast we have had here. These weekly Challenges brings out the best from Pentaxians.
BTW, Tom, yep- Dusk it was.
OK Charlie, now that we have been mesmerised!
09-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Tom: I hate to tell you that they are still tied in my eyes. I gave both of them a like. ;-) Great job by everyone.

I thought you might recognize the location of my composite image. Using the wide end of the kit lens, I only had a couple of small sections on each side where the other missiles impinged on the image.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 09-25-2013 at 08:22 AM.
09-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd have to concur with your choice of winning pics. Both were great as I pointed out to my wife a few days ago - and she agreed.

Ron
09-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow Tom what a great job. Great theme and great judging. A special thanks for taking the time to comment on all the entrants, that was a LOT of work. Kudos to the other HM's and Congrats to the two winners. When I first sat charliezap's shot I said "bingo!" then I saw StephenHampshire's shot and I said "Uh oh! I'm so glad I'm not Tom!"

NaCl(what a talented bunch we have here)H2O
09-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats to all some impressive shots. Great job on the judging and yes I have howled at the moon on occasion. Tough job to choose but a worthy winner !
09-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to Charlie and Stephen! And thanks to Tom for being a great host
09-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work to the winners and everyone who participated. A great collection of photos!