Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
P52-5-40: Idea — The Feel of Place / Sensual Exploration WINNERS
Posted By: Tamia, 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks to Rob/robjmitchell I have the honor to judge this week's P52 challenge. Huzzahs to everyone who participated in P52-5-40: Idea — The Feel of Place / Sensual Exploration. A special thanks to our innovative and capable host Tsukiouji for coming up with this theme, which seems particularly apt at the change of seasons from autumn to winter here in the northern hemisphere, and spring to summer in the south. It's a moody time of flux and drama in the natural world as well as the social, human world.

This is not a conventional subject, with more than the usual amount of subjectivity expected of the judge as well as the photographers, but it's my view that everyone met that challenge admirably well. For myself, when I'm on a photo walk I often try (but don't often succeed) to capture the sense of the place. We can't, after all, capture smells, humidity or aridity, birdsong, the sound of leaves underfoot or the breeze in the trees. Yet with the intellectual participation of those who look at our photos, who we hope has some experience of such places, we try to suggest the sense of the place, not just chronicle its visual character. I mention this because it lets everyone know the basis from which I've judged your pictures. It is, in other words, my interpretation of Tsukiouiji's assignment.

Enough background now. I'll comment in order on each picture and then announce the winners at the end.

Mar/Photolady I'm glad you resubmitted this picture, Mar, as I love everything about it. Even before reading your description of the location, I could imagine the dampness, and could almost smell the rich aromas of wetland. The fresh, bright colors, the details of the snail shell, his (or her -- aren't they hermaphrodites?) determination and remarkable ability to cling to a reed, all make this a very good picture fitting the theme. Kudos for the skillful use of bokeh to suggest a "field" or rushes -- the sense of the place -- as well as the linear components to make a fine composition. Well done.

Rob/robjmitchell I love the night, and as a teen I'd walk through the nighttime streets in my village to enjoy its special kind of intimacy and freedom that night provides. This picture takes me back to those days. The mysterious darkness beckons while also being just a hint intimidating. Pools of light allow color to show in an expanse of black and gray, and help set the scene of a settled neighborhood. The light seems almost feral in how it creeps away from the pools of brightness below the lamp to highlight the curving curbs and shrubbery leaves. The street sinuously meanders through the picture, luring the eye to the darkness. And the bins! They really add to the photo. During the day they're practically mundane, but here, they're like sentinels or sentries, keeping watch, waiting. You beautifully captured the feeling of the place.

Tess/Tessfully I knew that you'd give us a photo that I'd take to right away. This is my kind of place, a place of transition, a wild place, one not solid land nor fully watered. Even the season is in transition, with the last vestiges of autumn evident in the colorful deciduous leaves, mostly fallen from the limbs. The distant views through the trees, at the end of what seems to be a winding channel, is a tease, and one isn't quite sure what's beyond. I want to make my way through the tangles and mossy boulders and pools, just to find out what's there, knowing the trek will be an adventure in itself. Were red squirrels watching from on high, and chickadees darting in the balsams or hemlocks? Or was there an expectant hush? The stillness which is visually evident in the pools of water is palpable. I definitely "feel" this place. And yes, you HAVE succeeded in capturing the beauty and individual elements intertwined to make the place a synergistic whole, an living breathing organism. A very successful portrayal of the sense of the place.

Lou/lukulele This picture is great. The glistening water in brilliant sunlight, the mist, the sun's rays like an open embrace of the live-giving orb just outside the frame ... just magnificent. A very sensual photo, indeed. The dampness, the smell of the river and woods, the light. Riffled water tells me the river was whispering and telling its tales of where it's been. I can imagine this being a photo from early in the day, given the light's angle and the mist, and in a way, that enhances the feel of the place. Great job.

John/jhue02 I am drawn to decaying buildings and abandonments of all kinds, and this barn makes me want to go near and listen to the stories which come from from the weathered wood siding, the solid stonework, the rust, and loose siding boards and shutters creaking in the breeze and clattering in the wind. The colors and composition are magnificent and compel the eye to stay awhile to explore. That dark maw of a door opening and smaller openings in windows and even siding all seem to breathe or pulse. I bet a musty, rich pungency drifts from it and the other openings into the structure. And the mystery... What's in there? If I look in, will something come rushing past me? Who lives in there now that the farm stock are gone? A terrific capture of the feel of a place. Love it.

Patrick/patrick9 I can almost hear those oak branches scratching on the metal roof in a fitful breeze portending winter, but at the same time they are alive, extending a friendly warmth and embrace of the building as well as the viewer. The leaves are on the brink of change that will lead to their demise, yet in falling they'll provide nutrients to foster new growth. The building has been there a bit, it seems. The paint is thin and dusty spiderwebs danglie from the roof, while curled brown leaves have blown under the ridge cap and collected on the pitch. Definitely an excellent atmospheric shot and appropriate entry for the theme. Great job.

Noel/noelcmn Another picture with water playing a vital role, and a lovely role it is, too. The gently arching jet of water and the agitated pool really bring this image together. Composition and colors are top notch as well. Though you didn't have a lot of time to devote to photography, I'd say you came home with a very sensual shot as well as one that portrays the sense of the place. Sensual in that the cool colors and setting convey calm and invite reflection. The liquid water with its lapping low ripples, the flowing green lawn and bordering shrubbery, and the solid but not overwhelming strength of the stone retaining wall all create a sense of well-being. Beautiful.

Tsukiouiji Goodness yes, there's no doubt but that your photo conveys the sense of a community perched between land and water. It's clearly season's end, enhanced by soft light, fog, and muted neutral colors. The water is undisturbed by boat wakes, the docks are vacant. And there's a sense of mystery -- a hint of a distant landmass, the docks telling me that this is a busy place in its time, but where is everyone now? I have the impression that the community has contracted, preparing to hibernate, perhaps. Or maybe it has been abandoned. Is it sensual? Sure is. I can almost taste the shoreline tang and smell the moistened fallen leaves and dormant grasses. Excellent entry!

The hard part is choosing the winner out of such a superb lineup. Yet it has to be done. So at long last, the drumroll for...

Third Place Tess/Tessfully

Second Place Rob/robjmitchell

First Place, and the Winner is... John/jhue02, for his captivating abandoned barn.

Honorable mentions to everyone else, because they're all evocative in their own way, and because you all made my job so very difficult!

A special thanks to you all for entering. It's always a humbling privilege to judge one of these contests, but this one was even more so, as each photo opens a window into the heart and soul of the photographer who feels something special about the place depicted. It's an honor to share that.
Views: 967
10-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to John and all. Tamia, a special huzzah for the most coherent and deliciously described commentary I've read since grad school. I feel like everyone won with such evocative writing.
10-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Tamia, thanks for detailed and sensual comments on my entry, and thanks for the honorable mention. Kind of glad I didn't win, I couldn't type that much without rewriting it many times.

Congrats John and others.
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
I feel like everyone won with such evocative writing.
+1 thanks for the kind comments and for judging this challenge Tamia.
Congratulations to John for the win along with Rob and Tess.

Last edited by patrick9; 10-28-2013 at 06:50 PM.
10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow Tamia, I don't know what to say... except thank you for sharing your ideas and feelings about this challenge and about each of our entries. Lovely writing, lovely to read.

Congratulations John! That was a very evocative image. And congrats Rob for second, terrific composition and lighting.

I really enjoyed everyone's images and resonate with everything Tamia said about each one.
10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamia, thanks for the nod for first. Many great images and Rob's had it for me...the winding road lit in spots at night. Anywho, I too love finding old barns, sheds, buildings in decay. This one happened to be just off US 340 in Northern VA, near the WV border. I had driven to Harpers Ferry to pass some time and take a few shots while sitting reserve for the airlines. I was heading back to my inlaws' house when I spotted it and just had to shoot it. Wished I could get closer to the house that was nearby, but the area was fenced off.
10-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations John, Rob and Tess. Its a lovely photo of that barn, beautiful lines. Rob, equally lovely, curves are flare, and mystery too! Tess- Stop it . Now I don't only want to visit America, but Canada too. My first thought was- was there a Beaver dam nearby.
Such a visual feast here, and then Tamia goes and add all her insights and excellent comments too. I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments Tamia, and I have to say this, you are an excellent judge, and your appreciation of an artist, and photographer in particular, is refreshing, not to mention challenging. What you see is amazing. I've learned a lot here.

10-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations John on the win. Tamia you are AWESOME!!! Best commentary ever
Thanks for the positive comments from everyone too.
Cheers
Rob
10-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gosh you guys, thanks for all your kind words -- I'm humbled! I've learned so very much from you all and from others on this forum. The amount of talent and good nature here is amazing. And a big thanks to Adam for making this place available to us, too!