Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Potw #4
Posted By: Peter Zack, 03-31-2008, 05:09 PM

Picture of the Week #4. We seem to be a good roll with these.
Spring is getting close for some and the weather seems good "Down Under" and in the EU. Post up everyone.
Here's the link to the first POTW: Potw #1 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/22484-potw-1-a.html
to give you an idea of how this works.
The rules are simple:
1) No theme just your favourite stuff.
2) lets keep it to about 4-6 images just so the thread doesn't get too big each week
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days March 30th to April 6th
5)Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.
Next Sunday I'll pick a host for the next week from the entries.

I'll start and there wasn't much time for the camera this week.
Name:  IMGP7674 Lilly sm.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  27.9 KB
Taken with the F SMC 24-50 f4 (currently FS on the marketplace)
Past POTW's https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/22484-potw-1-a.html https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/22913-potw-2-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/23708-potw-3-a.html

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Views: 14,047
04-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

Tyler nice B&W conversion well done
Frank beautiful flower shots
Dave I love your grandson shots ahh the age of innocence and no cares ....
Dan that place looks like it could have 1000 more shots in it I like it

dantuyhoa nice close up the cactus
Thanks Dave . Cacti are not native to this region but people grow them and they survive really well . They do produce some nice orange flowers but so far not this year .

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Dave, Great stuff. Made me laugh and remembering when my son's were that age. They're both taller than me now!

Nice spot Dan and well shot. Still ice in them Tar hills eh! I'm hoping things get green myself. Like dave said I bet you'll be back again a few 100 times.

dantuyhoa, what the heck is that? I'm trying to decide between Ritz crackers and some type of cactus. Not to bad for $30. Now don't be so cheap and get yourself some good slide film!

Daacon, Gotta love that fish! Nice shots and you've really mastered that thing. Looks good.
Haha , Peter I woud never thought of it until you mentioned . Yes , they do look like crackers , don't they ? Some exipred films were donated to me by friends or even strangers ! But this batch I bought it from the local store . They have been well kept so it's okay to use . Expired film are not that much cheaper . Somebody have to use it or it will end up in landfill . Not to mention I support my local store. Think of it as recycle and efficient use of a photographic resource .

By slide , you mean this kakaka ?

Tran

04-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
By slide , you mean this kakaka ?

Tran
You pro you!! That'll teach me to open my big mouth.
04-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

This one'e for Peter

Nice shots Peter great to see life in all the white you have been having
Beautiful scenary Ken love the sky and color of the rocks , well done.

Sooooo

Happy Pentax Day all - my intent was to go on walkabouts and shoot all afternoon. It has been relatively nice here the last week or so and all but the biggest piles and shaded snow is gone. I got up - looked out the window and volia!

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2261/2389226747_c99728014d_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Hope that makes you feel better 100% crop in case you want more detail
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2308/2390058644_5c9c65fa0e_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

May have to shoot indoors today haha the dog and family are already hiding

Edit A few more for ya - it is getting worse !

Last edited by daacon; 04-05-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added more Snow
04-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Great shots Dave. I nevere ceased to be amazed at the snow shots that come from that part of the world. Simply awesome. (then again, uncomfortable for the inhabitants, I suppose).
Hope to experience myself one day, always wanted to get to that part of the world.

04-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes...I do feel just a little bit guilty posting these....just a teeny little bit
Taken yesterday, April 5, Pentax *ist DS & DFA f2.8 100mm.

Water is actually very warm but the surf was a bit flat, but perfect for this guy.
Attachment 10425

A view back across the beach.
Attachment 10426

Just a regulation day at Burleigh. :ugh:
Attachment 10428

Oh, Dave??...what IS that white stuff in your photos?

Cheers
Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 05-22-2008 at 03:48 AM.
04-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
bbpa103. Beautiful shot in every way! Love the composition and colour!
Dave, That's the same thing we had here. Friday was +10C and today was -2 and the view was identical although we got less snow, then it turned to rain which in turn became mud. Humbug.
Great shots of the snow though.

GWP, I used to like you. Cheeky bugger! Nice shots though. We'll have warm sun soon enough and I'll stop whining.
04-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Thanks Bruce yep I still like a good snowfall but would prefer flying somewhere to see it haha. If you ever do get up this way I'll glady show ya some ! (it snows somewhere in Alberta evey month)

Thanks Peter - you have been hammered way more than us with snow - still when the wife and I were playing catch on the street two days ago preparing for the slo-pitch season it gets depressing quickly !

And Grant ............... you , you , you .I love those shots ! It was funny while in Mexico our first Scuba dive the locals were suggestion we wear a thicker wet suit as the water was cold hhahah cold haha has a different meaning down there. Once we told them while white water rafting we jumped into a glacier fed river that was about 3 degrees they almost had a heart attack !

The white stuff ?? Well since you asked here (cheeky bugger )

Snow begins in the atmosphere as water condenses into a tiny droplet. As more and more water vapor condenses onto its surface, the droplet grows. Cold air then freezes this water into an ice crystal.

Each ice crystal has a unique shape that depends on the surrounding air's temperature and water vapor content. If it is below freezing and there is a lot of water vapor in the air, the crystal grows six evenly spaced branches. More and more water vapor collects on these branches and freezes, making the ice crystal increasingly heavy. Eventually, the ice crystal falls from the sky, leaving the cloud of precipitation that it helped to form. As it falls, the crystal continues to grow by picking up more water vapor.

As it descends, the ice crystal can come into contact with warmer air that makes it melt somewhat. This melting acts like a glue, causing crystals to bond together into larger flakes, forming what many people think of as the "classic" fluffy snowflake. If the crystals melt too much and then refreeze as they get closer to Earth's surface, the precipitation falls as sleet instead of snow.

Once on the ground, snow will remain if temperatures are cold enough to keep it from melting. Glaciers that form on mountains, for example, are made up of snow that accumulates on the ground and eventually turns to ice.

** plagerized from Ice and Snow

And when you see it 7 or 8 months of year well it can looses some of it's magic haha

Last edited by daacon; 04-06-2008 at 07:21 AM.
04-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Just trying out my new Sigma 135-400mm

Last edited by reknelb; 04-06-2008 at 05:01 PM.
04-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bbpa103 Quote
Just getting through some of my pics from being down in the states for a couple of weeks. A nice change from the snow up here. Something about this one that I liked. Ken.

bbpa103,

Very nice. I know exactly where that shot was taken. You climbed up there, probably from where the quarry blocks were located up against the cliff, no? Looks like you went over to the other side of that rock formation... I recognize the butte in the background as well as the rock formation to the left. I have quite a few pictures from that area. Nice shot.

Have a look here... same butte... my guess is your picture was taken from atop the formation closest to the camera...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2096/2393300377_ff235a577f_o.jpg

woof

Last edited by woof; 04-06-2008 at 03:33 PM.
04-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #40
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
PM Sent Daacon. Great week everyone. a really nice mix of images. Looking forward to another great week with you guys at POTW5 here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/24566-potw-5-a.html