Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
P52-5-41 Subject -Vehicles --- WINNERS!
Posted By: jheu02, 11-05-2013, 06:41 AM

I guess not too many folks noticed the challenge this week as we only received 5 entries this go around. I guess I should have encouraged participation with a couple extra bumps etc. the entries we did receive are very nice, however, so all that entered are to be commended.

As this weeks judge, I'll admit that I'm a little out of my element. I occasionally shoot cars, but they've never been a favorite topic. Nor do I get really excited about them as a driver...they've always just been a way to get from point A to point B for me. I'm saying all this because in judging this, the subject didn't really matter to me...just the photographic technique, processing, etc.

So....

Patrick9 - great opportunity here by having your camera with you. Nice colors for the night scene and well done with no tripod. Artistically I would like to have seen less of the overall scene, and more detail for the part shown...who's driving, what's in the hatchback, why are the lights on, is it a "Munsters" car or did the driver run over the skeleton and the skull ended up on the hood? Those sorts of questions. As it is, it's just a side view of a car in an interesting place.

Tamia - story told well. I like the shiny vs rusty juxtaposition going on here. Nice and sharp. Not sure if it was possible, but I'd like to see what's a little beneath the rust area where the wheels and underside should be. Is it even more corroded? I think I'd also like to see the vertical and horizontal lines made by the panels perfectly v and h...for me would add more tension. The shiny perfectness marred by the ugly rust.

Derelict - I know the feeling of being in a crammed area trying to figure out just how much to show and from what angle. I think you chose well here. The angle and front curves give the sense of speed potential, and the OOF racing number, and side exhaust backs that up. Nice full tonal range in the monochrome conversion...rich blacks to bright whites. Just waiting to see the checkered flag wave.

Tess - you also told a story without words. We've probably all seen the car or truck that's been parked and abandoned which slowly gets absorbed by nature. Well, in this case, nature had a little help with the condition this vehicle was originally in before she took over the rest of the process. Nice blue against the browns and greens and in this case (as opposed to our first entry) we really needed to see so much of the scene to be able tell it was a vehicle at some point.

Noel - kudos on finding the orange, err, vehicle. We just now need the Weinermobile in the background and we have lunch taken care of . I also like to see the effort taken to go out specifically for the challenge. Photographically-speaking, there's not much you can do given the constraints of museum shots. You wanted the orange color to come through as it's the reason for the shape to begin with. You also needed to show the whole fruit, sorry, car, so that the viewer knows it is a vehicle. About the only thing different I would have tried is a square crop, which you just missed by a little on the top side.

Thanks all for participating in this weeks challenge. For me, the winner, and next week's judge, is... derelict.

Last edited by jheu02; 11-05-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added photo
Views: 1,119
11-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Derelict- I like the lines and curves on this one. B/W works very good too. Good choice Jheu02-thanks for judging. "Constraints of Museum shots" is putting it mildly-it was crowded, very crowded, and I wondered why there were so few images on the website-well its because if they want a good pic, its a herculean exercise, having to move these vehicles.
Now for the marbles- uhm glass I mean!
11-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Derelict. Thanks for judging this challenge, and for the feed back John.
11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats Derelict! Thank you for the great commentary John Nice photos everyone!!

11-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, Derelict! Thanks for judging, and for the thorough and helpful commentary, John!