Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
P52-5-43: Colour — Sepia
Posted By: Tsukiouji, 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM

QuoteQuote:
Black and white photos give pictures a romantic quality but sepia tones give a more softer appearance that anything in grayscale. Some viewers feel that sepia photographs feel more alive and at times elegant often provoking images of a bygone era that still captivates our imaginations, an era that was more simplistic and focused on finding the beauty in everything.
( The History of Sepia Tones in Photography )
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog:
You can change the settings on the monochrome (BW) filter to be sepia-toned, and it will keep them, but so far as I know, you can't replace the other digital filters with a second copy of monochrome.
( PentaxForums.com/Setting Sepia setting in camera? )
I know that sepia is, well, kind of cliche, but couldn't help myself. Sorry! I hope that you will enjoy this week's theme as much as I am.

More tips and References:
30 Beautiful Examples of Sepia Photography
Creating Sepia Toned Photographs

(Photos for the Week #43 competition are to be taken between Nov 11 2013 and Nov 17, 2013.)

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be
have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques with fellow
Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-5 thread for the week. Explain what
motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color
saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.
Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot, Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post
black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is
active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable.
Views: 3,681
11-13-2013, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From today's time in the blind.

11-13-2013, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice one, Norm (cool avatar, too).

Dusty Books

11-13-2013, 05:56 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Tamia, love the cobwebs on those old books… amazing collection!

Crash

11-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Funky perspective tessfully!
I was pretty happy with this in black and white but the sepia tones lighten the mood nicely. Makes me think of summer as a kid! (Technically an antique filter, is that ok?)

Last edited by robjmitchell; 11-14-2013 at 01:31 AM.
11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow, four posts already… things are looking good.
11-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There are some excellent examples already posted to this thread.

This shot was taken just after a snow...our earliest on record.

11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ginko Carpet from school this week and crossed from POTW.

Last edited by lukulele; 10-04-2014 at 06:52 AM.
11-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some good stuff here already! I'll go with this one from tonight.

11-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In recognition of breaking all the rules last time I took this today at the Birdwood Motor Museum. Sigma 17-70 (the do-everything lens!). Was taking pics with my eight year old.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
11-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jessesdad Quote
In recognition of breaking all the rules last time I took this today at the Birdwood Motor Museum. Sigma 17-70 (the do-everything lens!). Was taking pics with my eight year old.
Oh dear.... you will have to go back to that manual stuck away somewhere. You are the judge of this weeks "Sepia" Project 52 challenge, and as such, you are not allowed to enter the contest (which I seem to think is the rule-please correct me if I am wrong) (its a pain having to be the judge when you so much want to enter the challenge- that'll teach you to post such fab pics here ) but you can happily post images for interest sake, which I must confess, you shot has certainly pricked the interest for my part.
I see that this is not listed under rules- I thought it was- that the previous weeks winner is automatically the current weeks judge. So maybe Jessesdad does not know about that rule. He can leave the manuals there for now
Perhaps we can/should include that in the Rules Tsukiouji??

On a different note- I have a Sigma 28-80 Macro. Also a do-everything lens. Except when I need wider.
11-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Oh dear.... you will have to go back to that manual stuck away somewhere. You are the judge of this weeks "Sepia" Project 52 challenge, and as such, you are not allowed to enter the contest (which I seem to think is the rule-please correct me if I am wrong) (its a pain having to be the judge when you so much want to enter the challenge- that'll teach you to post such fab pics here ) but you can happily post images for interest sake, which I must confess, you shot has certainly pricked the interest for my part.
I see that this is not listed under rules- I thought it was- that the previous weeks winner is automatically the current weeks judge. So maybe Jessesdad does not know about that rule. He can leave the manuals there for now
Perhaps we can/should include that in the Rules Tsukiouji??

On a different note- I have a Sigma 28-80 Macro. Also a do-everything lens. Except when I need wider.
Oh, for goodness sake, I've done it again! At least this time I didn't read the rules that weren't there!
Happy to judge if need be and you can be very sure mine won't get a look-in!
Sigh, back to the drawing board.......
11-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes I feel quite inadequate at photography. The shots in this set of challenges don't happen to help with solving this issue. The shots here are sooo good. But since my wife says my ego is so large it can block the Sun, and can't be damaged. I submit a shot I took today I found there is a lot you can do with the filters built into the K-30. I do not do much PP for the P52 challenges. All PP work is done after the submission. This one is no exception. Problem I have is I don't remember all the in camera filters I applied to this one . I have passed this lane several times and thought I need to shoot it so when this project came up . This came to mind immediately.
I hope the P-52 challenge continues for a good long time since I am enjoying it so much. keep up the great work everyone.
Attached Images

11-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice images folks!
One question: When does this challenge end. I know it says Nov. 17th but is that in the morning, later in the day or by midnight?
Cheers.
11-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not positive. I assume it is midnight on the 17th. If we don't count the Sunday after the next project is announced then we lose a day each week. So I have always assumed it was 12:01 Monday thru 12:00 Midnight Sunday. I could be wrong tho. Please correct me if I am wrong