Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
P52-5-42: Subject — Glass- WINNERS
Posted By: derelict, 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM

So...

Winner: Jessesdad who has not lost his marbles...

Runners up:
jheu02. I wish this was a little more exposed. I LOVE mechanical things and there is nothing cooler than the look (and the sound produced) from tube type amps and other electronics. Maybe black and white would allow a little more detail without it having to be brighter?

Tamia, this was a great photo. I like the distortion through the glass making the pencils seem like more than just pencils.

Last edited by derelict; 11-12-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Views: 1,675
11-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome photos everyone! Love the marbles Jessesdad, wonderful depth of field and colours. I love the lighting on the tubes John, great shot. Tamia, that is a fantastic photo, so full of joyful colour. Thanks for judging derelict.
11-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, sorry about dropping the ball on this one. Work took over my life...
11-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for a runners up spot and great shots all. Re: darkness of the tube shot... It's a bit of a balancing act to do lighting from the outside when trying to show the warm glow from the filaments inside the tube. Since it was about the glass, I didn't want to detract too much by showing a bunch of extra metal of the chassis, transformers, etc., but I may have been able to do so with it being a bit brighter. Looking against a black background helps, as the white really makes it look dark.

11-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to Jessesdad, jheu02 and Tamia. Strong images.
Thanks to derelict for judging.
Really enjoyed this topic and all the beautiful interpretations.
Cheers
11-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Jessesdad- That's a stunning photo, excellent composition and spot on focusing. And John and Tamia are to be congratulated too.. Awesome photos in this round of Project 52. Thanks Derelict for judging and commenting on the winners. If it is not too much too ask, perhaps Tamia can share with us her technique on creating that impressive pencil image? The more I looked at it, the more I keep wondering how it was done? Stirring the water gently I suppose. A bit of lighting too in the background?
11-12-2013, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Jessesdad for first for such a lovely, glistening image. And to John for runner up, too. I love that shot, the colors, and even the darkness with the glint of glass tubes. It's been a long time since we had tube sets! Thanks much for the HM, Derelict, and for your judging efforts. Also thanks to everyone for your kind words about my picture. I really enjoyed everyone's photos for this challenge, with such a wide range of interpretations.

Noel, no, it's not too much trouble at all. I use a glass vase to hold water when I paint watercolors. When not holding water, the vase contains some implements like brushes and pencils. I like the swirl effect, and it struck me this would make a good glass-theme photo, so I put colored pencils inside and shot a variety of pictures against a white drawing paper background (really sophisticated, I know). I decided on a tight crop for the contest submission. Here's a full view:

11-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tamia-Now I am enlightened. Full view is also very nice. Amazing how some simple things often gives stunning pictures. On this round of Project 52 I learned not to go hunting but first look at home. Actually did have an idea, but never pursued it at home.
Thanks again Tamia-good photographers eye to see potential.
And now its good night, while our American friends enjoy the rest of their day.
11-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow. Thanks for the votes of confidence. I came across the thread yesterday and was so impressed with the pictures (I love glass) that I was reminded of the photo of the orbs and thought I'd throw it in.
It is, in fact, two glass paperweights and a hand-blown vase that sit on my shelves. I'm pretty sure that it was one of those "I have anew lens and I need to test it out" shots.
I love the warmth and depth of heu02's shot. Valves...!! Hummmmm. Wonderful.
Also love the clean colour and simplicity of Tamia's shot.
But they all grabbed me - particularly Tessfully' shot that made such a great thumbnail for the thread.
So...in Australia it's time to go to work so I'll set up a new thread later today when time allows.

And in my rush I now realise that posting an old photo is not allowed so please accept my humble apologies for not reading the rules correctly.! Sigh, too many years of placing all instruction manuals in the 'to do later' box.

Last edited by Jessesdad; 11-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.
11-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoyed all the entries., Congratulations to Jessesdad on the win,John and Tamia on 2nd and 3rd places.
11-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations, and also thanks to all involved.
Neat photos!
11-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jessesdad Quote
Wow. Thanks for the votes of confidence. I came across the thread yesterday and was so impressed with the pictures (I love glass) that I was reminded of the photo of the orbs and thought I'd throw it in.
It is, in fact, two glass paperweights and a hand-blown vase that sit on my shelves. I'm pretty sure that it was one of those "I have anew lens and I need to test it out" shots.
I love the warmth and depth of heu02's shot. Valves...!! Hummmmm. Wonderful.
Also love the clean colour and simplicity of Tamia's shot.
But they all grabbed me - particularly Tessfully' shot that made such a great thumbnail for the thread.
So...in Australia it's time to go to work so I'll set up a new thread later today when time allows.

And in my rush I now realise that posting an old photo is not allowed so please accept my humble apologies for not reading the rules correctly.! Sigh, too many years of placing all instruction manuals in the 'to do later' box.
Technically, you are then not the winner-but I am sure that we will go with it as is. What do the others think? Be thankful, as when I did this a few years back, Bruce (Bramela) was the judge, and when I confessed (like you are doing) he promptly gave me a "kick up the pants" (note not a kick in the backside ) which I have remembered ever since. So no kicks for you. In any case, its a delightful pic.
BTW, no new thread needed, as the Project 52 is hosted by Tsukiouji, who posts the new challenge every week. The next one is already up-Sepia I think it is. Better go to that "do it later" box
Speaking of Bruce- has anyone got any news on his condition?
11-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I shall consider my backside very lucky. And I am very happy to concede first place. I'll even give back the prize money, Less what I already spent on the Lamborghini.

How nice not to have to start something new. Thanks, Tsukiouji.

Next time I shall read the rules lest your boot gets twitchy.

Steve
11-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Jessesdad, jheu02 and Tamia! Good jog derelict!
Those are some fine images!