Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Project 52 P52-5-43: Colour Sepia WINNERS!!
Posted By: Jessesdad, 11-18-2013, 03:53 AM

Judgement time has arrived and I think it's reasonable to say that you have made it very difficult for me. Particularly as a novice judge.
An excellent selection of photos around a theme that has obvious sparked interest and creativity. Thanks, Tsukiouji.
Judging will be erratic, idiosyncratic and entirely subjective.

In order of appearance:
Normhead: Beautifully sharp, fantastically isolated and incredibly cute (my eight year old added that!). A great picture even in sepia but I'm not sure because it's in sepia.
Tamia: Certainly sepia suits the subject superbly. Classic in every sense. Perhaps a few too many ideas for one photo? Even so, Shakespeare feels left out.
Tessfully: It's an upside down world. Excellent framing and a really good eye to get so many shapes working together alongside so many textures too. Does sepia enhance it? Perhaps it does. If you can have a little, red Corvette then why not a smashed-up, sepia Chevrolet?
robjmitchell: This is the colour of a hot, Australian summer - and just as flammable. Takes the mind on an idyll into insubstantial imaginings. Sepia turns the clock back. Not sure about the glowing seeds.
bucfan 1234: Ok, at first I thought this was an eskimo duck with a golden beak. And I really liked that. But it's a boat (I think). Crisp, clear and carefully caught. Is this the duck with the million-dollar 'bill'? Has a real delicacy.
lukelele: Sometimes texture and depth of field combine beautifully and they do here. Almost Escher-like infinity without a clear point of focus. Sepia suggests a season but are we being fooled. Nice one.
ramseybuckeye: This shot somehow brings to mind seventies movies and two men crouched in the back of the van listening to the bugs they've placed in the hero's room. Loads of 'mood' and the sepia treatment adds gravitas.
Jessesdad: Pffft! Read the rules!!
Patrick9: I think this is the next scene in Ramseybuckeye's movie. Bad things are going to happen at the end of that 'dead-end' road. A little more contrast and shadow might help with the depth in this one and I think the sepia 'flattens' it somewhat. Still, it's an image that takes the mind to some mysterious places.
jmschrei: The captured cat considers....(killing? cream? contempt?). Who can tell with cats? Great picture with the markings on the object right of screen (a book?) highlighting the cat's markings. Again, great textures. Sharp and simple. Does the sepia separate it from the litter? Hmmmm.....
noelccm: A majorly beautiful Minor! Looks good in latte too! I think I would have preferred a bit less crop to explain the interesting shapes and textures behind.
mtux: Now that looks delicious. The perfect baking shot but also a possible still from a Miyazaki animation. I always wondered where he got the inspiration for his monsters and now I know it was in the kitchen! Sepia works here to turn it from the obvious into the unknown. In fact it may be the beast from which Jools is hiding.
Jools: Is it? Very Hitchcock. Clever, off-centre and alive. Too many zombie movies make blinds a cliche but it works here. Grainy, rough and ready for sepia.
Tsukiouji: Just as Juliet left it after the ball. Who was she and shall we ever meet again? The golden afterglow? Pretty, evocative and maybe just a little static.

So, an amazing group of shots but only one winner. And a second and third.

Third: Tessfully.
Second: Jools
First: lukelele. I can't explain it but I keep coming back to this image. A golden carpet. What lies beneath?

Last edited by Jessesdad; 11-18-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Views: 906
11-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to lukulele and tessfully for some remarkable images.
Thanks for judging Jessesdad and taking the time to comment on a fine list of entries. Likewise for the nod for 2nd.
I want to also thank Tsukiouji for carrying the P52 mantle this year. Solid and fresh themes throughout the year.
Saludos, Julio

Last edited by Jools; 11-18-2013 at 04:57 PM.
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, congratulations Lukulele, a worthy winner there. I also keep coming back to it- its beautiful. Congrats too, to Jools and Tess. A great challenge, and echo Jools sentiments of thanks to Tsukiouji for hosting this interesting challenge this year. BTW Tsukiouji, Jessesdad is a prime candidate for next year . Thanks Jessesdad, for judging and commenting-good stuff. Appreciated! Novice judge my foot!
And I see another toughish challenge this week.
11-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jessesdad Quote
Judgement time has arrived and I think it's reasonable to say that you have made it very difficult for me. Particularly as a novice judge.
An excellent selection of photos around a theme that has obvious sparked interest and creativity. Thanks, Tsukiouji.
Judging will be erratic, idiosyncratic and entirely subjective.

In order of appearance:
Normhead: Beautifully sharp, fantastically isolated and incredibly cute (my eight year old added that!). A great picture even in sepia but I'm not sure because it's in sepia.
Tamia: Certainly sepia suits the subject superbly. Classic in every sense. Perhaps a few too many ideas for one photo? Even so, Shakespeare feels left out.
Tessfully: It's an upside down world. Excellent framing and a really good eye to get so many shapes working together alongside so many textures too. Does sepia enhance it? Perhaps it does. If you can have a little, red Corvette then why not a smashed-up, sepia Chevrolet?
robjmitchell: This is the colour of a hot, Australian summer - and just as flammable. Takes the mind on an idyll into insubstantial imaginings. Sepia turns the clock back. Not sure about the glowing seeds.
bucfan 1234: Ok, at first I thought this was an eskimo duck with a golden beak. And I really liked that. But it's a boat (I think). Crisp, clear and carefully caught. Is this the duck with the million-dollar 'bill'? Has a real delicacy.
lukelele: Sometimes texture and depth of field combine beautifully and they do here. Almost Escher-like infinity without a clear point of focus. Sepia suggests a season but are we being fooled. Nice one.
ramseybuckeye: This shot somehow brings to mind seventies movies and two men crouched in the back of the van listening to the bugs they've placed in the hero's room. Loads of 'mood' and the sepia treatment adds gravitas.
Jessesdad: Pffft! Read the rules!!
Patrick9: I think this is the next scene in Ramseybuckeye's movie. Bad things are going to happen at the end of that 'dead-end' road. A little more contrast and shadow might help with the depth in this one and I think the sepia 'flattens' it somewhat. Still, it's an image that takes the mind to some mysterious places.
jmschrei: The captured cat considers....(killing? cream? contempt?). Who can tell with cats? Great picture with the markings on the object right of screen (a book?) highlighting the cat's markings. Again, great textures. Sharp and simple. Does the sepia separate it from the litter? Hmmmm.....
noelccm: A majorly beautiful Minor! Looks good in latte too! I think I would have preferred a bit less crop to explain the interesting shapes and textures behind.
mtux: Now that looks delicious. The perfect baking shot but also a possible still from a Miyazaki animation. I always wondered where he got the inspiration for his monsters and now I know it was in the kitchen! Sepia works here to turn it from the obvious into the unknown. In fact it may be the beast from which Jools is hiding.
Jools: Is it? Very Hitchcock. Clever, off-centre and alive. Too many zombie movies make blinds a cliche but it works here. Grainy, rough and ready for sepia.
Tsukiouji: Just as Juliet left it after the ball. Who was she and shall we ever meet again? The golden afterglow? Pretty, evocative and maybe just a little static.

So, an amazing group of shots but only one winner. And a second and third.

Third: Tessfully.
Second: Jools
First: lukelele. I can't explain it but I keep coming back to this image. A golden carpet. What lies beneath?
Wow, this is a surprise as my entry was due to a kind comment by Tess. Congrats to Jools and Tess and everyone who've participated this year under Tsukiouji's excellent direction.Thanks to Jessesdad for the insightful commentary and judging. This week's subject is up……Game on!

11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Luke, and Jules and Tess too. And good picks Jessesdad! Lots of good quality!
11-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to winners,
Thanks for judging and leaving a comment for each photo
11-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to lukulele, Jools and Tess. To Jessesdad thanks for judging and for taking the time to comment.
11-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Lou for your lovely, delicate photo. 'Grats to Julio and Tess also for your innovative, imaginative shots. Thanks much for judging and commenting, Jessesdad. You did a fine job. This has been a terrific P52 contest -- chapeau to everyone who entered. Tskuiouji, your efforts keeping this project going are to be commended.

11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow! Another amazing challenge with outstanding entries and a most awesome winner! Congratulations Lou !! Very beautiful and as Tamia said so well, delicate image. Congrats to Julio too, I thought that was creative and cool, albeit creepy shot. Thanks for the great comments Jessesdad and thanks to Tskuiouji for the inspiring challenges. Loved the varied interpretation