Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread

# 265 - beauty of things imperfect and transient
Posted By: tessfully, 11-19-2013, 03:56 PM

Thank you Mark (mecrox) for the inspiring challenge last week and for awarding me the honour to host this week.

This week I would like to bring in an aesthetic ideal --- the beauty of things imperfect and/or transient. I have included two examples that are my attempts towards this ideal. Both images portray imperfection and also transience as life ebbs and flows. I think that it is within the flow I found beauty.

But, please interpret the theme in a way that is meaningful to you.

This challenge will run through Sunday November 24th and close by midnight GMT (which is EST +5, CST +6 and PST +8).

Rules are as follows:

1. Post one photo (max 1024 X 1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3.Post your single photo in this thread. If it's not obvious, explain what motivated you to submit the photo and how you feel it represents the weekly theme.
4.The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5.The judge will pick the winner, who will then host and judge the next week's challenge.
6.The challenge closes after seven days.This allows a day for the judge to pick the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung) DSLR is acceptable.
8. Photos can be from any time frame, not just the week of the current challenge.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge of the next week's challenge, the winner will PM the #2 winner and pass on the baton to that person to host and judge the next week's challenge

Last edited by tessfully; 11-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Views: 4,501
11-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow! I am completely overwhelmed by the specialness and beauty of each image. Lovely evocative work everyone! And it is only Wednesday!!

11-20-2013, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

The Mantlepiece | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Transience, melted wax. a dead bird posed as if living, a fleeting shadow, time itself captured in the imperfection of a twisted clock. Beauty is there too, in the eye of the beholder
11-20-2013, 06:42 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Living in Canada where spring, summer and fall pass so quickly, I have learned to find lasting beauty in transient leaves, flowers and grasses. It was hard to chose an entry but I decided on this shot from last November because it has the added touch of the light hitting ice crystals in the snow.

11-21-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tree Face

Great theme and entries so far!
Here's a graffiti tree-face I spotted the morning after Halloween. The 'Beauty' part may be in question, but it's certainly imperfect and probably temporary.
K-5, DA 50mm f/1.8, f/5.0, 1/60s, ISO 80.
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-21-2013, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine- Some leaves in various stages of trying to cope with the arrival of the winter season in Kwazulu Natal- known more for its humid weather conditions. I simply liked the backlit, afforded by the rising sun.

Last edited by noelcmn; 11-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.
11-21-2013, 04:06 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

For some reason when I read the description for this one I instantly thought of this shot. So I'm entering it...The seed may be as close to perfect as any seed but the twig it's hung on is not...broken...and transient as it gets, the seed is the link between dead and brown this fall and green and alive next spring...if it ever lets loose and the wind takes it to a new home...

11-21-2013, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about an old pair of sneakers hanging on a wire in ice fog?

11-22-2013, 04:36 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

In terms of the picture content it might not fit the theme, but this is my pet rat Nutmeg. She has a growth on her back leg that a Vet thinks may be cancer. We don't know how long she has left if it is cancer, but apparently once it starts to spread she'll die in a few days, maybe less. Rats only live for two years or so, so it's about her time anyway. I bought her an advent calendar a while back, and with luck she'll get to the end of it with Pepper, her ratty friend.

The picture was taken the day before the vet gave us the news. I personally think it's just a fatty thing, as the last vet reckoned a while back, but I guess eventually she's going to die anyway. In any case, I've shown her the sun, good food, flowers, music, affection, protection and all I could think of through her life that would make her's a good one. People find rats weird, and with her growth (which is now disturbingly enormous, much larger than her head) she's not the most elegant sight in the world, but I think Nutmeg is beautiful, and every day I see her she makes me happy.

11-22-2013, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uh oh Tess! You are surely in trouble now! What a great bunch of photos so far and I'm sure more to come. Good luck with judging this one. And thanks again for the great theme.

NaCl( you could always use a dartboard as a judging tool...it too would be 'imperfect and transient' )H2O
11-22-2013, 12:04 PM - 5 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

The sand is both changing and eternal. The feather carries its own symbolism here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
11-22-2013, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The feeling I get from this one matches the subject perfectly.

Last edited by Workingdog; 12-22-2013 at 06:50 PM.
11-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Uh oh Tess! You are surely in trouble now! What a great bunch of photos so far and I'm sure more to come. Good luck with judging this one. And thanks again for the great theme.

NaCl( you could always use a dartboard as a judging tool...it too would be 'imperfect and transient' )H2O
You are right NaClH2O… and I was worried people wouldn't like this theme, yet in this thread are lovely, evocative and sensitive images. I am not even trying to judge at this point. Just enjoying the unravelling of each.
11-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Closes at midnight! Last day to contribute your unique interpretation of the theme.
11-24-2013, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Definitely imperfect but still transient at age 57.

Last edited by lukulele; 11-07-2014 at 06:03 PM.
11-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #30

Thought about entering a self-portrait but the timer on the camera isn't working well. :P