Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
#271: Silhouette - WINNER
Posted By: mde1970, 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the great entries this week. I was not expecting quite so many and I’ve been hovering over my PC for quite some time now going through them all. Sorry I’ve not commented on every shot, there are just so many and I’ve been super busy at work so did not get a chance to view the completion until this evening. Anyway onto some comments for many of the standout shots this week!

Sealonsf – lovely rich warm tones. The comp is spot on as well. All round cracking picture.

TenZ.NL – very cool shot. Nice repetition of silhouettes through out the scene. Also captured a great sunset. This shot has it all and is one of my favourites.

Clou – real nice soft blue sky in this one and I love all the people milling around on the ridge.

Fotogaffer – nice interesting tree in foreground. Its sometimes nice to have an a silhouette which has a small amount of light and detail in it like this.

Bruce – Very cool shot. A few years back I was a keen wake boarder so spent many days watching friends board and Ski. This really brings back some memories and is a cracking shot executed perfectly.

K-David – lol hard luck dude. I don’t think there’s any rule about posting the same subject matter (although I know what you mean when you’d rather post something different), Nice shot anyway!

Chrisnmn – great mono and love the over exposed sun in the background. Also the slight movement from the guy in the foreground adds some movement to the shot.

Mehl – yep love it but trying to think why. It’s a great B&W image for a start and you’ve caught the couple walking just on the crest of a ridge creates a perfect silhouette. I think it hides enough to allow the viewer to make their own mind up to where they have come from or are going.

Alkazalsir – Very nice image. Great comp and subject for a silhouette.

Workingdog – lovely tones and really nice simple comp (but it really works IMO).

Kkoether – awesome shot. Great silhouette so fills the brief and really interesting subject. What’s the guy throwing out a net??

Tobyshootspentax – nice shot. Love these evening/morning shots in the forest.

Jezzeppi – perfect framing. Real nice family shot.

Dosdan – lovely action shot. Nice blue tones and very different to may of the other sunset shots..

Jaylie – wow those colours!! Fantastic.

altOption - This is a cracking shot. Really unusual the way the colours fade from blue to orange leaving a perfect silhouette of the buildings.

Scratchpaddy – Another cracking shot. Love the subject matter, really different and they really stand out against the soft orange sky.

Firstly a couple of runner up shots. Found it really difficult choosing a winner from these three:

Tenz.NL - cracking shot. Whats not to like about this one. It may be a cliché but I love it.

Scratchpaddy - really like it. The soft graduating tones with the spindly razor sharp phone masts on the hill just catch my attention. Sometimes you don’t know why you like a shot, you just do its simple as that (and I like this one).

Winner - kkoether with ‘Days end’. Just a perfectly executed picture IMO with great balance and colours. I imagine there was a lot of sitting and waiting around to get this shot.

Views: 1,186
01-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to kkoether on winning this great challenge with a truly wonderful photo. Congrats to TenZ.NL and scratchpaddy on their selections for runners up as well. I don't believe I have ever seen so many submissions to a weekly challenge, so well done mde1970. You picked a great theme obviously. Great challenge, it was a treat to follow along and see all the many great photographs. It was also nice to see so many submissions from so many newer members. Well done all!
01-14-2014, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually that's a very large bubble he is blowing!

Here is the whole story on this picture. I fix CNC machine tools for a living so I travel quite a bit. My camera bag always goes with me. I was working in Erie, PA in May of 2012. One evening I decided to grab my camera and head out to the beach at Presque Isle State Park figuring I'd catch the sunset. When I got there the guy in the picture was out off the beach on his paddle board blowing these huge bubbles. I took quite a few shots that evening but this one really stood out. A few days after taking it I posted it several places online. A couple of days later I hear from the guy whole makes the Big Bubble Equipment. He had tripped upon my photo and really liked it. He said that the guy in the picture was a friend of his.

Fast forward about a month. I got another service call in Erie PA only at a different customer. It turns out the operator of the machine I was fixing was the guy in the picture!!! It was quite bazaar since the night I took the picture I had no idea who he was. He had printed out a copy of the shot from the internet. He had it on the wall by the machine he had been running due to his normal machine being down. We've been friends since.

Remember.......ALWAYS take your camera with you. You just never know where you will find the next great picture!
01-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a great shot indeed kloether congrats amd congrats to TenZL and scratchpaddy and all the participants.

01-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That was my favorite shot from the get go--Congrats to Kkoether.Looking forward to Speed and Motion.--charliezap
01-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What an awesome awesome shot, plus an excellent story to go with it too. Worthy winner in a strong line up here. Congratulations Kkoether. And I reckon you got the other two right as well, congratulations to TenZ.NL and Scratchpaddy. Thanks for a great challenge Mde 1970. And for judging-The beast has tamed you-yes!
Saw a guy doing this kind of thing(huge Bubble blowing) on the 1st January-fascinating to watch.
01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats Keith, a very inspiring and worthy capture. Also congrats to Scratchpaddy and offcourse all others with their great entries!

Thanks for the challenge and the nomination, Mde1970. This must have been a real tough one.

01-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Keith on the very well-deserved win. You had a lot of competition for this one!

I appreciated the challenge, mde1970, and I'm very happy for the runner-up mention. Those towers are visible from just about anywhere in the Phoenix metro area, so they're a frequent photographic subject. This picture was taken a little bit later, with a wider lens:

01-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done, kkoether. That shot is the one I would have picked were I judging this week.
01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me on this weeks too!!!