Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Speed or Motion - Winner
Posted By: kkoether, 01-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Boy do I have my work cut out for me this week! Bear with me here. This is a first for me as far as judging others work. Guess we all have to start somewhere.

rbefly - WOW!!! The B&W really makes the Vette POP in this shot. It darn near looks 3D. Great shot.

daacon - Outstanding exposure! That is one technique that is on my to do list to master. Well done.

atupdate - Interesting interpretation! I like it. Wonder if I could make this work for the cars and boats? I see you’re from my home town. I grew up in West Carrollton.

Clou – A Ghost Train. Definitely gives the impression of movement. I wonder what a strobbed flash would do here. Not that it needs anything just a thought.

fotogaffer – Great capture! That thing looks like it’s really spinning at a higher speed than it really is! Exposure and lighting just right.

lukulele – Interesting color treatment. Definitely highlights the rider as the central focus of the shot.

charliezap – Nice capture of motion in a freeze frame. Between the hair flowing and the facial expressions you definitely get the impression of motion.

Tamia – Nice capture none the less. I’m starting to think about playing with some of my stuff in B&W. It seems to work with panning and such.

SpecialK – Another motorsports fan I see. Nice shot with the outside bike lifting the front wheel. Drag racing both autos and boats is another thing on my bucket list.

tessfully – Beautiful shot. Looks like a real busybody on the left. Definitely put the motion in the shot.

asp1880 – Very nice capture. Great use of DOF to focus on the center rider. Nice depiction of speed. Well done.

NaClH2O – Wow! Now that’s COLD!!! Some people with do anything for a thrill won’t they! Nice capture Wind, Waves and Riders in motion. I’ll bet there was a good breeze that day judging by the whitecaps. Can you feel your fingers yet???

K David – Nice time lapse. Must have been somewhere out of the way with only one car coming by. To me it helped bring some dimension to the sequence though. Haven’t tried any of these type of gif’s. Might have to dig into this also.

TenZ.NL – Yes I’d say it qualifies. Great capture. I’m sure that didn’t come easy. Those darn little bugs don’t stay that still! Great detail and bokeh that perfectly highlight the subject.

smf – Another interesting entry. It’s got motion though. If nothing else this week has given me a new perspective. Thanks for sharing.

1AboveU – 2nd time using a DSLR huh? Stick with it. Looks like you’ve got the hang of things! Nice exposure. I like the way the clouds are lit over the mountain in the center of the shot. Great work.

noelcmn – Another motion in a freeze frame shot. Nice work here. It’s nice to see others that realize you don’t always have to have blur to have a sense of speed and or motion. Well done.

ramseybuckeye – Another Great capture. I wonder if he caught you on his GoPro on his helmet? The white background provides a great contrast for the flyer. No doubt who the real subject is in this shot.

Congrats and thanks to all that entered this past week. All GREAT submissions.

The one that keeps poking me in the eye though is rbefly’s Corvette. It's a perfect pan. Blurred spokes and spinners on each wheel and blurred background. The B&W just really does something for this shot. It makes the car just POP out of the rest of the photo. As I said earlier. It darn near looks 3 dimensional!

Congratulations to this week’s winner rbefly!

Views: 1,248
01-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Gifthorse, You must of hit enter just as I hit enter. Nice shot. Sorry I didn't catch it sooner. I was trying to wrap up before going to bed. Haven't seen any rocket cars in years. However rbefly's Corvette is still my pick for the reasons I gave above. It just POPS. Thanks for the submission though. We Motorsports photographers must stick together!
01-21-2014, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rbefly (Ron), WOW that is a super super shot. Agreed with Kkoether, the corv just pops nicely, but the concentration of the "old" man makes it for me. And B/W is just perfect for this too! Worthy winner!
Thanks Kkoether for judging-tough one too! All round positive comments!
OK Ron-What you got up the sleeve? Or should that be in the lens!
01-22-2014, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Ron and thanks to Ken for hosting and judging. So many great images in this challenge.

Tim

01-22-2014, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to rbefly on winning with a great shot. Well done kkoether, interesting challenge and well judged! Thanks for taking the time to comment on each photo. Well done all!
01-22-2014, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Great shot Ron hard to argue with that choice. Thanks kkoether for taking the time to comment on all the shots. Once again well done all.
01-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What? I Won?

Whoa, I won my first Weekly? WOW! Thanks for running such a fun contest, Keith, and for your kind words. Congratulations to all the entrants, I wasn't sure who would win, so many good entries this week.
Thanks also to noelcmn, Tim, fotogaffer and Dave, I appreciate the comments.
I've got some interesting ideas for the next one, I'll be posting soon.
Ron

01-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats on your win Ron.I looking forward to the work theme.I have one that fits the bill right off the top of my head.--charliezap
01-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Ron on the win and an excellent shot. Special thanks to Keith for the interesting theme and taking the time to comment on all the shots. Well done.

NaCl(looking forward to next weeks theme)H2O
01-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations rbefly, that's just a super shot, it really nailed the theme, great pan and then the "extra" motion of the wheels going around. Good pick kkoether!
01-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for the feedback. It was a tough pick for sure. Looking at the challenges certainly sparks the imagination for my future work. I've always been a "Gearhead". I started working on race cars about the time I turned 16. I bought my first SLR at 21 to take pictures of race cars primarily. I still like my cars, boats and airplanes but these days I like to try different things which is much easier with digital. Here's an oldie. A.J. Foyt at Daytona in 1983.

01-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrific shot, Rbefly/Ron! Beautiful metallic gloss and a worthy winner. Wonderful job of judging and commenting on a fun subject, Keith/kkoether!