Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Potw #6
Posted By: Bramela, 04-13-2008, 01:16 AM

Hi, it seems I am hosting this weeks POTW from "Down Under"
POTW #6. 6th to 20th April.
Looking at Dave's #5 you all supported with some really great shots.
Lets all come up with some equally good material for this weeks.

Here's the link to the First POTW #1 to get an idea of how it works https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/22484-potw-1-a.html

The rules are simple:
1) No theme just your favourite stuff.
2) lets keep it to about 4-6 images just so the thread doesn't get too big each week
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days April 6th to April 13th
5)Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Next Sunday I'll pick a host for the next week from the entries.

Here's my shots to start, taken this morning, a very foggy morning with a great deal of dew.

Attached Images

Last edited by Bramela; 04-13-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Views: 14,366
04-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peter really nice shots

04-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
racinsince55, Post some pics. This is a place to share and learn as well as just have fun. I bet none of us ever remembers a no-class comment made about anyones stuff. We all started somewhere.

Btw, Great stuff everyone this week. Nice to see these threads getting some attention. Gawan, I really like the shot. Much better than you give it credit for.

Dave, Man I feel for you. These spring snows don't last but they make you just want to go to bed for the rest of the day.
Very well stated. Technically I am not even in the same league as most here but the comments I receive about my stuff is nothing but supportive and that makes it fun and inspires me to keep shooting. I learn more and more each time I pick up the camera and mostly due to the support from the forum members. After all for many of us it's a hobby and it's supposed to be fun.
04-20-2008, 03:28 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the encouraging comments to my bird/mirror image

Last edited by gawan; 04-21-2008 at 03:08 AM.
04-20-2008, 06:03 AM   #79
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My point about having the POTW's in the first place was just to share. If you want critical opinions of a shot, then there are better places here for that. This was just meant to be a casual spot where any shot is fine. Family pics, the dog, whatever. I really like the diverse shots everyone posts. Someday Dave even will have a few shots with some colour other than white.

The comments about posting got me to dig out an old book I got back in my K1000 days. It’s titled “Photography for the joy of it” by Freeman Patterson.
He writes in the preface:

For me Photography lies in being at ease with my camera, being keenly aware of the things around me and feeling free to photograph them as I please. It’s not being restricted by rules or formulas, by equipment or technical considerations, by subject matter or type of film, or other photographers and their work. It’s in being myself and in making photographs that communicate what I see and how I feel about what I see.

… But most important this book is about learning to “see” – learning to be aware of the things around you, seeing things you never noticed before, using your eyes all the time, not just when you pick up the camera…. It’s about learning from others without letting them direct your interests or cloud your personal vision…. More important, if the image you made accurately represents how you felt at the time you made it. It’s looking at yourself as well as your photographs.

It's a good book to learn from and I understand he's updated it for today's cameras. His web site is worth checking out:
Freeman Patterson : Photographer and Writer
He has several very good books and worth checking out.

So I hope anyone who's lurking in the background or thinking they don't match up to someone else's standards, toss that idea and join the gang. We're a lucky bunch in many ways. Go to the other forums some days and read the fist fights and camera snobbery that can be posted. We have a group of "lets be slightly off beat" not follow the crowd, shooters. Everyone's welcome to the party. One example is the great stuff Kim's been posting with that $25.00 flea market macro lens. Just go shoot and share.

04-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Did you miss winter ? Come one Come all ....(airport may be closed )

Well said Peter and nice Bird shots btw - you will have fun with that lens I am sure. And thanks for the comment on posting something other than white.

What was originally a bit of snow for the weekend has now turned into it should stop on Wednesday.

Last Night
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2428037042_5813f4898f_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Colors other than white ! (well ok there is some white in there)
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2428037152_a1c329f6e2_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Hour 48 or so ..depression is in it's early stages ......I told myslef I was not going to shovel anymore until next fall but alas resistance appears futile
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2025/2427223877_06fd3cf55a_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
04-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #81

Dave - got a chuckle from your latest snow shots - we are skipping spring and going straight to summer here, over 20 degrees C this weekend - C stands for Canuck degrees Ken.
04-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #82
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Man You guys are getting it Dave. I was just watching the weather network and it looks pretty bad out west. Not a bad day here, at least this morning. Gave me a little time to try out this FA*300 with the 1,7 TC attached. Easy to handle and I like the results. Giving some serious thoughts to selling the Bigma. The IQ is so good with the 300 @510mm I just don't see grabbing the Bigma as much.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-20-2008 at 03:09 PM.
04-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some really interesting shots there.

Dave : I understand when you say your sick of the weather. What ever happened to Spring. They make me feel cold just looking at them. Nice shots nevertheless.

Peter : Contrast to Dave's series. Spring is in the air. The buds are appearing, the birds are singing and the squirells are active. Thats what I read from your lovely set of photos. Love them.

As regards your earlier comments, I fully agree. POW is a place for photos of interest. Family shots, holiday shots whatever. just a place to put shots that may be interesting to members.
Not seeking prize winning photos.

I"d like to say again thanks for the great support with all the posts this week. Some really interesting shots have been posted. Keep it up.
04-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Potw #7

Hey everyone!! Bruce has asked me to host POTW #7!! Thanks Bruce it would be an honor!!!

Next Weeks POTW should contain pictures taken last week.. April 14th to April 20th!! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/25661-potw-7-14th-20th.html#post224833

See ya there!!!! Kim
04-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for all the great photos in the past week. I appreciate all your input.
Now its over to Kim, a very keen member. So lets all support Kim for POW7;Thanks again all. and special appreciation to Kim for her willingness to take up the baton.