Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 118 Likes Search this Thread

Weekly challenge #274: Layers
Posted By: TenZ.NL, 02-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Hi everybody!
Welcome to episode 274 of the weekly challenge

Thanks to Ron for last week`s challenge "Work" , a truely inspiring subject with lots of great entries.
For this week's subject I`ve come up with something completely different: Layers.
I hear you thinking: WTH is he babbling about?
Well, it`s about lines and repetition...horizontal, vertical or diagonal, it doesn`t matter as long as subject(s) or fore/background create a sense of (repetive) layering.

For example this image of a seal colony, shot from a ferry. The water, the shoals, the seals themselves and even the frame contribute to a sense of horizontal layering (imho offcourse )

Offcourse, your subject(s) could be anything. Be creative, have fun and make my life as a judge a hard one!
Kind regards,
Jacco

* This challenge will run until Monday, 10 February, midnight PST.

The fine print:
1. Post one photo (max 1024 X 1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single photo in this thread. If it's not obvious, explain what motivated you to submit the photo and how you feel it represents the weekly theme.
4.The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5.The judge will pick the winner, who will then host and judge the next week's challenge.
6.The challenge closes after seven days.This allows a day for the judge to pick the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung) DSLR is acceptable.
8. Photos can be from any time frame, not just the week of the current challenge.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge of the next week's challenge, the winner will PM the #2 winner and pass on the baton to that person to host and judge the next week's challenge.

Views: 6,415
02-03-2014, 10:01 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Line-Them-Up

Hi Jacco, congratulations on winning 'Work', you deserved it!
Great theme for this one, and some fine entries already. I don't envy your duties as judge next week.
Since some recent photos here show a hot, summer climate, here's one to cool us off. 'Three blue bikes' taken about a week ago.
K-5, DA 50mm f/1.8 @ f/4.0, 1/320s, ISO 80, 0.7 EV.
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-03-2014, 10:55 PM - 6 Likes   #17

Downtown Denver

Downtown Denver, the layer of windows going up and disappearing into the clouds and looks as thought the clouds are traveling through the building. Also with the double layer effect of the building reflection in the window of the first building.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-04-2014, 02:31 AM - 3 Likes   #18

Photos: Gallery
Warm December in Carpathian mountains - Romania
Attached Images

02-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Amazing pictures in this challenge and it's only Day One. You're going to be busy, Jacco!

Are those condors in the photo, Don?
Where is the photo-I'm going crazy looking for it!

02-04-2014, 03:13 AM - 8 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Light snow on hills (Shoot on 1 of february, K20D + SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED)
Attached Images

02-04-2014, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Razorback

Weathered limestone sea stack near Port Campbell in Victoria, Australia

02-04-2014, 05:56 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Layers of boxes.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

02-04-2014, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one's a little different, bi-latterly layered. Detail of the Conservatory at the New York Botanical Gardens

NaCl(I'd be totally lost photographically without NYBG)H2O
02-04-2014, 08:36 AM - 7 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Layers of Light

An oldie from an Alabama beach.

Last edited by slowpez; 03-27-2014 at 10:58 AM.
02-04-2014, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #25

Pentax K1000 35mm with SMC Pentax A 70-210mm F/4.0

Kodak Color film, 35mm ISO (or ASA) 200

Last edited by Enrique S Toso; 02-04-2014 at 01:11 PM.
02-04-2014, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #26

A squiggly bright life.

Cebu landscape view from Rm 809 Castle Peak Hotel taken by my son Moises (16 yrs old). To the question, what's the point of this photo because there is no focal point? The answer is:

The preponderance of horizontal lines of buildings tall and short, wide and narrow represents the rules and structures that limit and overwhelm us into dull lives of conformity..When we are lucky enough to see that narrow vertical road which is rght before our eyes, we must be brave enough to break out from the security of the mold, to find our way to creativity, happiness, and fulfillment, so we may have squiggly quirky but bright joyful lives represented those light trails.If we try hard enough, we will discover our own style,our own corner, our own private space, our home.

02-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Amazing pictures in this challenge and it's only Day One. You're going to be busy, Jacco!
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Great theme for this one, and some fine entries already. I don't envy your duties as judge next week.
Two pages allready, I`m afraid my entire weekend will be consumed!
02-04-2014, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

You really asked for it this time Tenznl. This is going to be one tough one to choose a winner.
02-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Apologies to nomadkng. I just opened up your link that I overlooked originally to see that you had posted a Grand Canyon shot already. If I had seen this, I wouldn't have posted mine. So, never having done this before, I felt it fair to nomadkng to delete my prior photo of Grand Canyon. Apologies to Tamia as well who already "liked" the photo. If you would prefer to withdraw the like, I will understand. So, I have decided to post this shot instead showing layers of light, shadow, colour and contrast in Antelope Canyon.
Have got it elsewhere?-would love to see it!
02-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Nicely picked theme, Jacco. I have really strict rules about clicking 'like' on a photo -- only if I would show it off were I to have taken it. And I've clicked more likes for this challenge than any other I've seen on this forum.