Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  
#274, Layers: the winners!
Posted By: TenZ.NL, 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Allright...like some of you allready mentioned I had this coming. OMG, what a massive amount of entries
Well, I think I got you all covered so here goes nothing!

Thanks to all who participated and for sharing your views on the subject. I learned a thing or two and got some good inspiration, cheers for that!
I must admitt, this was the toughest challenge I did sofar. The sheer amount and the high quality of the entries were overwhelming and I think that each and everyone of you are winners.

Atupdate:
Nice shot, the circles really draw the eye to the window? with the stars.

Comprock:
Now here are "some" lines Are these carpettiles? I kinda like it, allthough it seems to lack a restingpoint for my eyes. Nice shot though.

Nomadkng:
A grand scene with gorgeous light. A spectaculair view and beautifully captured, the rockformations make beautifull layers.

Sealonsf:
Very good, nice layering. That wildebeast in the foregrond and the cloud are real bonusses.

Mattb123:
Stunning landscape, the B&W treatment combined with the portraitstyle work very well for me.

JMschrei:
Another fine B&Wlandscape, some really good lines and layers here.

K David:
B&W was also a wise choice here, making it very abstract. Strong repetition of shapes and lines here.

Tamia:
I think you need new gears
Original, great shot!

Hks_kansei:
Good eye! Minimalistic yet powerfull.

Fotogaffer:
Antelope canyon...if you wanna shoot layers, this is the place
Lovely colors and lines, also beautifull light from above.

Special K:
Nice one! I love the colors and lines.

vroom_skies:
Wonderfull use of square cropping, it really draws he eye to the centre. Stunning colors too, the petals (is that correct?) defenately work as layers for me.

rbefly:
This one also really works for me. Because of the white snow the lines aren`t obvious and forces my eye to look longer. I dunno, it`s like a negative. Very well spotted and executed. (You shopuld call it "White lines" like the old song by Grandmaster Flash, allthough he ment something else)

jfuqua11:
Very interesting shot, well executed also. I was wondering if the image will be more powerfull if it was more symmetrical?

Daddycool:
Very beautifull scene! Not critisizing but I think this would even work better when cropped to a panorama (loose some water and sky).

Caver:
Simply gorgeous...allmost an abstract painting! That diagonal is subtle but very powerfull.

Bruce Clark:
Now that is some serious erosion (and layers)! Beautifull scene and shot, I would love to stroll around there with my DA15ltd and ND110

Arnold:
This is film, right? Great subject and very nicely captured. Looks like something from old East-Germany or the USSR.

NaClH2O:
Great concept, I like it. It`s allmost like a mirror.

Slowpez:
Gorgeous, Suzan. Great mood, great light and great layers!

Enrique S Toso:
Another filmshot, correct? (I`m such a noob when it comes to film)
I love the small DoF and the layering of the bars here.

Jalba:
At first I thought: This is somewhat messy...but after a short time the lines and layers emerged. Only then I started reading your discription. This is a bold image and I like it

Nbriz:
Strong framing (litterly, lol). The structure is open enough to be seen as layers but it also functions as a see-though to focus the view in the distance. I love the treatment and IR as well, nice!

Lukulele:
Nice shot of layers brick and mortar, I love the details and colors here.

Charliezap:
A refreshing take on the subject, Charlie. Grea detail of those dewdrops, I also love the faint spidersilk and the intense greens of the grass.

Flomat:
Interesting shot, the contrast created by the modern glass vs the mirrored and distorted buildings is really cool as well as the office lights shining though the reflection. The windowframes create a nice sense of layering.

Daacon:
Now that are some awesome layers

Elpolodiablo:
V for Vendetta
Beautifull, love the textures and the light here. A very strong example of layering, nice!

Arjay Bee:
Very good shot, beautifull exposure too. Those bracelets are creating beautifull layers. I wouldn`t have thought of this, good eye.

Papa Lazarou:
Strong with crisp details and nice light too. I assume this is stereo? I would love to hear the sound of that

Ramseybuckeye:
Gorgeous scene with beautifull layering, Tom. The ditched field in the foreground really adds to the feeling, nice!

Neville:
I`m biased here...I`ve been to the royal natal NP last year so I have a very strong feeling of what this must look like irl It`s a stunning scene and a good example of a layering landscape. This is an image I could have shot myself.

Jessesdad:
Original take of the subject. I see the layering but imho it would be stronger if you cropped of shot more close. But don`t get me wrong, I like the picture though.

Noelcm:
Very nice layers of light reflections in the water. Detail on the feather and it`s reflection is also superb.

The HM`s:
Elpolodiablo - V
Arjay Bee - Bracelets
Ramseybuckeye - Grey barn
K David - Sun shades
Vroom_skies - Flower heart

3th place:
Tamia - Crank study

2nd place:
Slowpez - Layers of light

1st place:

Caver:

Once again, thanks to all who contributed. Now it`s Caver`s turn to come up with with the new challenge

Kind regards, Jacco
Views: 2,137
02-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Congratulations but...

When will the new comp be up Caver?
Thanks Arjay, and your question is completely understandable, today is monday - and I am already late on this.
I'm planning to post the new theme for the weekly challenge late this evening... (my location is Europe, Hungary CET timezone, which is 9 hours difference from yours - Queensland, Australian Time) Thanks for your patience!

02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Weekley challenge #275 is on!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/252022-weekly...ml#post2702365
02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Congratulations to the winner and thank you for the feedback.

Yes, those are carpet tiles. How could I get a resting point in there? More tilt or firmer axis alignment maybe?