Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Weekly Challenge #276 - Winners
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM

Firstly I would like to thank and congratulate all participants in this challenge. The number of responses had been fantastic and the quality of the submissions has been outstanding. I was initially surprised by a number of entries that took a different interpretation to mine on the subject. I quickly learned that not only do the participants have to interpret the challenge but the host has then to interpret the responses. I was also delighted at the many different techniques used. Selective focus, colour, contrast, texture, time, light, framing, shape, position, symbolism and context, radial blur are but some of the techniques I have identified. If I have missed any I apologise.

#1 jacamar Ruby Beach. Jacamar has created a very clever optical illusion. On first opening this it seems to be a depression in the sand and it was only on second look it resolves itself to be stone on the sand. Every time I look at it I have to second glance to be sure. As soon as I saw this entry, I knew I was not going to have an easy task. It fits the criteria using composition and texture to highlight the subject.

#2 slowpez Serene Sea. The job just got harder. Besides composition, Susan has added another tool to isolate the subject, time. A long exposure has reduced the swirling sea to a blur.

#3 atupdate Simply Cold. Three classic methods of isolation, focus, colour and composition are used here to good effect. A pin sharp bird is sitting in just the right spot, with just a dash of subdued colour against a well blurred and almost colourless background.
#4 charliezap A "Simple" guidance. At first glance I thought; “No, there are trees everywhere, which one is the subject?” The answer slowly dawned on me or at least several answers.
Solution 1 – None of them. The subject is the channel between them.
Solution 2 – The big one in the middle, isolated because of its size relative to its peers and location in the frame.
Solution 3 – All of them. After all they are all quite simple structures isolated in silhouette against the coloured background.
Solution 4 – The real answer I believe is none of the above but is in the title. (A “Simple” Guidance) What Charlie has done is photograph an idea, a concept that mankind, even in these days of radar and GPS is using time honoured simple techniques such as a stick in the sand to solve complex problems.Thanks Charlie, you just made my task a whole lot harder.

#5 Clou My Pick – a heart. A universal symbol, so instantly recognised that no words are needed.

#6 rbefly Snowmelt? There are two strong techniques at work here, composition via very strong vertical lines and time, isolating the individual droplets. Rbefly has also utilised light with bright highlights contrasting with the dark background.

#7 NaClH2O An iconic fall shot. 1 leaf, water, ripples. NaclH20 makes an observation that there is not too much negative space in this image. Personally I rather dislike the term ‘negative’ space as it implies nothingness. While there is detail, quite a lot, in the background of this image, this sets the scene and provides context. This leaf has just dropped onto a pond, it is not floating in space. There is no mistaking the subject.

#8 normhead A classic. Strong composition, good lighting, texture and colour all contribute to this image. The detail is superb as we would expect from an artist of Norm’s calibre. He is at home in his environment. The small object in the bottom left adds so much strength to the composition.

#9 lukulele Flood Victim. I have to admit, this one had me wondering for a long time. Where is the simplicity? We have a bridge, we have an abandoned toy, we have all sorts of angles and details in the concrete, the river bank and so on. There is obviously a very powerful story behind this image. Who was the boy who owned this toy? Where is he, is he ok? And so on.
As the saying goes, “a picture tells a thousand words” so does this image. By the depiction of a simple, out of place toy, lukulele has confronted us with potential human tragedy. Very powerful use of a simple object to covey a story.

#10 SpecialK There was no title attached to this picture. If I may be so bold I might call it “S”
S for the curve.
S for the sea.
S for the sidewalk.
S for the skater.
S for the shadow.
S for simplicity.
S for superb.
Colour, composition, texture, shape, point of interest. This has it all.
#11 Tamia Late Autumn Dew Droplets. The so called negative space here is a riot of colour and blurred forms. Sharp focus is confined to two very small water droplets. Their location in the frame and sharp focus ensure they are the subject. Proof once again that negative space need not be bland.

#12 photolady95 While the leaf pattern is quite complex, slight blurring ensures that this does not dominate proceedings. The viewer’s attention is focussed on two small water droplets that contain some intriguing detail.
I do like the comment. “Again I torture myself and join in, knowing I'm not going to win.” That’s what I thought with the last one. Very neatly followed up by Atupdate’s response “Most of the time I would rather come in 2nd place than win. It is way more fun to enter than to judge.” Truer words have never been spoken.

#13 dcBear78 For one who claims to have few photos that could be classed as simple, dcBear78 is on the right track. I find this a very pleasing image, very soothing to the eye. A generous crop of the left lower corner would strengthen the composition greatly. But apart from that small critique, this is an excellent shot.

#14 tessfully Tiny Insect. I was expecting for and hoping for a very strong submission from Tess as she is one of the masters of the art on this forum. With this one she has certainly lived up to her reputation. Tess has produced an excellent image of a grass stem which would stand up on its own, pardon the pun. Not satisfied with that she has captured the tiniest insect so that this little beast dominates. A picture within a picture.

#15 jmschrei A very nice image here; beautifully framed and focused to perfection. DoF at it’s very best. Deep enough but no more, shallow enough but no less. I would be proud to hang this on my wall.

#16 mecrox In All Souls. This is another slightly different interpretation of the theme and in my opinion a very good one. Mecrox has taken a simple every day implement and framed it in such a way to leave no doubt as to the subject of the image. There is a mass of detail in the background, lines, textures and shapes abound but it is the simple broom in the corner which dominates. Amidst all the strong straight lines, there is curve of the broom handle. This surely is no accident.

#17 sealonsf View from Castle in Spain. Another interpretation of the theme. At first sight, I was not sure if this is a photo of the clouds or of the window frame. I now think it is neither. Sealonsf has taken the theme and reduced it further than most to the point where there is no real identifiable subject. There is just the shape. This is one of the many images submitted so far that have challenged my assumptions and that is a good thing.

#18 christophleipzig Ice fishing. Despite the size of this image being larger than my screen, I will not hold it against you, this really hits the spot. Uber simplicity. Featureless ice apart from a few footprints, totally featureless sky and the slimmest of horizons redefine simplicity. I have never been in such a situation but if I ever were, photography would be the least of my concerns. With almost nothing to compose, you have composed it very well. This challenge is getting tougher to judge with every photograph.

#19 casil403 Another image that breaks several rules and is all the better for it. Forget all the conventional theory about histograms. OK there is a white point and there is a black point as is decreed in conventional theory but there is virtually nothing in between. The conventional rule of thirds for composition has also gone by the wayside, yet the composition works and works very well. The black border is a vital component with the major branches leading towards the upper corners. Very nice work indeed.

#20 Arjay Bee Reduced to the essentials. A couple of insects engaging in the essential task of perpetrating the species. This is a nice shot with sharp focus highlighting the main subject.

#21 K David Suicide door handles. Another dramatic image throwing out conventional composition. Essentially monochrome with just small splashes of colour and using complimentary shapes, K David produces a very intriguing image. The title alone suggests something more than a cupboard door.

#22 tsakatsaka There is nothing complicated in this image. Simple shapes, good composition and a predominantly green hue all shout simplicity.

#23 vroom_skies I do like these sorts of misty images very much. The receding lines of trees fade into a featureless sky providing some depth to the image.

#24 noelcmn Yes I will have that whiskey. Thanks for your thought and your submission. Subtlety has gone, blown away by a vivid red field. While obviously a motor car, hopefully a Ferrari judging by the colour, the bulk of the car is gone leaving only a single wheel to define this image. What looks to be radial blurring adds a sensation of speed and movement.

#25 Beardedclam Crocuses coming through a late winter snow. A ripper photograph from a new member, well done and welcome to the forums and this challenge in particular. A simple composition with strong vertical elements, yet Beardedclam has captured nothing less than the change of seasons. I heartily endorse the comments from atupdate and noelcmn.

#26 mattb123 Just me and the ravens out for a ski in the foothills. A curved hill side, a graceful S curve through the snow. All simple elements combined well in a graceful composition. Then there are those two ravens, an extra touch that adds interest far in excess of the size of the two birds.

#27 Knock Early Spring Fig Leaf Sprout. Great colour, a very nice bokeh effect. Let down in my opinion by the tip being slightly out of focus. Just a fraction more depth and Knock would have been a hot contender.

This is tough and I feel most unqualified to pass judgement but here goes.

Honourable mentions
jmschrei
Beardedclam
mecrox
jacamar
SpecialK
3rd place - tessfully
2nd place - charliezap
1st place - casil403. For sheer simplicity, I simply could not go past this one. Well done and best of luck in hosting the next challenge.

Attached Images

Views: 2,355
03-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup. When I saw the winning image I knew exactly which would win.

03-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #17
Forum Member

Congrats to Casil403! That shot is really simple and strikingly elegant.

And thanks for the honorable mention! I hope participating in these will keep pushing me to be creative in how I look at modus operandi for photography.
03-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everyone for the congrats and kind words....what a surprising win considering all the terrific entries.Thanks too to Bruce for a very kind and thoughtful critique. The new challenge is up...I look forward to everyone's entries.