Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge 278- Winter Loses to Spring
Posted By: OrangeKx, 03-17-2014, 05:51 PM

This weeks challenge is Winter Loses to Spring. Show signs of Spring as Winter tries to hold on.
*This challenge will run until Sunday March 23 at midnight PDT.
Thank you casil403 for hosing last weeks Challenge Something from Nothing.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week. This challenge is Pentax-only.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Have fun and I look forward to seeing your entries!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/254234-weekly...#ixzz2wGq95nno
Views: 3,813
03-19-2014, 09:05 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I saw the theme I immediately thought of one of my skunk cabbage shots, I've got a bunch of them but this is one of the best. Some of you may have seen this shot before. Eastern Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) is one of a few thermogenic plants, meaning that it generates heat to melt its way up through the snow. I've seen them melting as much as 6" (15cm) of snow. It's fun to tromp thru the swamps and wetlands of the eastern US and Canada in very early spring and see bunches of these plants melting their way up thru the snow.

NaCl(you can use google images "skunk cabbage snow" to see a bunch more shots)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 03-19-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar
03-19-2014, 01:33 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perce neige

My pic for this theme is a perce neige, one of the first spring flowers, although we didn't have a real winter here north of the Alps. Last snow we had a couple of weeks ago, since then no more, and i just got my Pentax K-3 days ago, so it´s one of my first outdoor shots.
Sincerly yours,
Oliver
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-20-2014, 01:54 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Way too much choice... this is what I settled on...

03-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Despite the fierce winter we have had, life shows amazing resilience. This will be covered with snow again by morning.

03-21-2014, 01:28 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ice Float Races on the Grand River

Taken yesterday in Grand Haven, Michigan.

Tim
03-21-2014, 03:17 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Nature passes the baton.

Vacationing in Florida while my snow was giving up in Boston I didn't have much to pick from for this challenge except make this collage of "old man winter" surrendering his grip and letting "mother nature" take over" for the awakening season.--charliezap
Name:  final.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  215.8 KB