Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Winners - Weekly Challenge #282 - Show Me The Light
Posted By: atupdate, 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Wow, trying to choose a winner from these entries was overwelming. Of the 34 entries, 1/3 made my initial cut. Of those, I had 7 that made the final round. From there, I pulled names from a hat. Not really but I almost had to resort to that. So I’ll start with a “few” comments and then announce the winners.

Ron (rebfly): I wasn’t sure if I would see any city night scenes in this challenge and you entered one right out of the gate. I didn’t originally consider a city night scenes the best subject for this challenge because usually the “pretty” lights are the main subject. Your image does fit and very nicely. The lights are harsh looking and the people have enough grainy detail to be the main subjects. An interesting interpretation of a gritty urban setting.

Amy (pearsaab): Perfect shot for this challenge. The sky is the first thing that attracted my eyes but it is your husband in silhouette that ends up being the focal point. This picture has so many cropping options that I found three that I really like. Nicely captured.

Tamia: This is by far one of my favorites of this challenge. I take pictures. You create art. However, without your explanation, I would never have guessed that the yellow color was from the reflected light source. A great image none the less.

Tess (tessfully): Another exceptionally artistic entry. The reflections/refractions on the ice merges the light source into the main subject. One without the other would not be nearly as interesting.

SpecialK: I think I would have liked to see this image processed darker. If you shot this in raw, it might be interesting to tone the light way back even if it darkens some of the other faces. People know what those faces look like, so losing some detail to shadows would be no big deal.

Bruce Clark: Another perfect shot for this challenge. My only suggestion would be to crop out as much of the dark land mass on the top as possible. You may end up losing part of the water and the wave on the left but filling the screen with the wave and the skier would be far more dramatic.

Charliezap: You can never go wrong with dramatic side lighting. I was very intrigued by the round handle casting a square shadow. The light had to be in exactly the same plane as the top of the handle to achieve this effect.

StephenHampshire: Your light source is very interesting. It was both bold and up front (bright sun) and subtle (colored patchs). The colored light adds a distinct texture of its own to this image.

fotogaffer: I’ve never seen this canyon in person but have seen tons of photos of it. It is amazing how slightly different shooting perspective and different lighting conditions can change the look of this canyon.

Susan (slowpez): Another delightful artistic entry. This one fits the challenge as the colors from the light are a secondary subject to the shapes.

Jeff413: Competing light sources, very interesting. Adding the lamppost works in this image, as it balances well with the sunset. Since you are only allowed to post one entry, I chose your first one as your official entry. Besides, I like it better than the table lamp shot.

Lucky-Luc: Wow, two different light sources with two different subjects. Throw in some reflections and you have an exceptional image.

Alkazalsir: What a wonderful image. I would have loved to have been there to play around with the sun placement as it was setting. What would it look like if the sun was behind the center of the Ferris wheel, slightly lower behind the track, or if taken with a star filter (does anyone even carry star filters anymore?)? I would suggest you try bumping the contrast and/or saturation just a little bit and see how it looks.

virgilr: Bonus points for entering a black and white photo. Like charliezap’s, B&W really works well with side lighting.

Joe (jmschrei): Your patience was rewarded with this shot. The details captured in the pea pod and the veins in the leaf looking like a star pattern, make this shot exceptional.

Ganda: The classic clouds reflecting on a building photo. Very nicely captured. I have yet to find a shot like this to take but I’ll keep looking.

NaClH2O: I love the sun sparkles on the water. The “star trails” behind the ducks really gives a sense of movement to this image.

jchorst: It looks like the sun is showing through one cloud and reflecting off the back of another cloud. This would be a very routine landscape without the unique light you found.

Beardedclam: There is nothing about this image I don’t like, the strong shadows, the skier, the snow tracts, and the blue-gray color of the sky. What puts this image over the top is the bright sun in the upper left corner. It gives the impression that the skier has nearly reached the pinnacle of his journey.

Bill2849: I love the detail in the leaves but what really makes this image special is the bokeh in the background. I suggest you try cropping this as an 8x10, as the solid white stripe on the right (tree trunk maybe) pulls my eyes away from the leaves.

lukulele: What do they say about red sky in the morning? I too drive to work early in the morning. However, I don’t get to see clouds like this over Dayton very often. Glad you took the time to stop and shoot this one.

Bondezire: Exceptional shot. Including the light source in this image really takes this beyond the typical portrait. Was this part of the stage lighting or did you set up a flash?

Tom (ramseybuckeye): I have driven on roads like this many times and the flat landscapes have left me uninspired to shoot farm shots. You have shown that I am not driving during the right time of day. A very nice image.

zamke14: The sun highlights the miniature cast very nicely. The background is a little distracting and could have been cropped out along with some of the blank space on the left side of the image. I don’t know what was inside the miniature cast but it makes me wish I was invited to the party.

sealonsf: What magnificent light and building structure. If you bump the contrast with a simple S-curve layer, the sun rays really pop out and become more defined.

Jessesdad: This one I had to take a little longer look at to fully comprehend that there are two layers of waves. Once I saw it, the uniqueness of the lighting on both layers was highly appreciated. Well spotted and nice capture.

newton's lenses: I’ve seen reflections in eyes before but never this close-up. Was this a major crop or was it taken with a macro fifty? Well spotted and definitely unique.

daacon: Three distinct lighting sources, on the flags, the tower, and the moon. The perspective really invited my eyes to wander around the image to fully take in everything that is there. This is a good thing in my opinion. For my own personal taste, I would bump the contrast a little to give the image a bit more mood.

ChristianRock: The sun flare really ends up being the main subject in this image. If you bump the contrast with a simple S-curve layer, the sun rays really pop out and become more defined. Well spotted and captured.

tsakatsaka: The reflection of the sunlight off the red blanket has cast a reddish tint on the girls skin. It almost looks like the white balance was set incorrectly but color of the trees has me thinking it could be the blanket causing the reddish cast. I tried playing around with the color balance on your image but it is a challenge. My best results came from desaturating and shifting the hue on the red channel only. However, it is a very lovely image of a very lovely girl. I’m sure in 5 years you will look back at this image with fond memories.

noelcmn: Very nicely captured. The light is wonderful, the fisherman makes for a perfect focal point, and the waves give this image texture and depth. For my personal taste, I would bump the contrast and saturation a little using a curve layer.

Arjay Bee: When you have an image as nice as this one, you really should treat your equipment with a little more respect. The sunlight is perfect in this shot and really highlights the fishnet well. Without this light, the net could be lost in the dark clouds very easily. A great shot and very well done.

PPPPPP42: Between the ice, flowing water trails over the rapids, and the golden colored pools, this image has a lot of texture to it. You got the shutter speed dead on to capture the flowing flowing water and the golden color. Extremely well done.

mattb123: The dramatic clouds and the sun streaming through the clouds was the first thing to catch my eye. Then I started exploring the pond and saw the great reflections and the ducks. The front foliage at the bottom of the image gives this image a lot of depth. Backlighting on the clouds, streaming sun, and reflections, this image has it all. Well done.

Honerable Mention: NaClH2O, Tamia, Tessfully, Bruce Clark, and Pearsaab

3rd Place (Tied): Beardedclam, Lucky-Luc, Bondezire, noelcmn, and mattb123

2nd Place: jmschrei

Winner and Host of the next Weekly Challenge: Arjay Bee. This is one of those images that I wish I had taken.

Congratulations to Arjay and everyone that entered. This challenge really became a showcase of the photographers on this site.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 05-04-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Views: 2,130
05-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratz Arjay really great photo. Thanks for commenting my entry atupdate, I really haven't done anything special in pp of the photo. The WB is not wrong IMHO after a few hours under the sun you get that red look although after you mentioned it I can see the reddish cast on her right hand fingers near the blanket. The original is actually much more red in the face. Thanks again for the comment I have to check my photos more for things like that

Last edited by tsakatsaka; 05-05-2014 at 04:22 AM.
05-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to Arjay Bee, that is a worthy winner. Also congratulations to jmschrei for 2nd, Beardedclam, Lucky-Luc, Bondezire, noelcmn, and mattb123 for 3rd and NaClH2O, Tamia, Tessfully, Bruce Clark, and Pearsaab for getting a special mention. All your pictures are works of art. Thank you all for sharing them

And a special thanks to atupdate for the great theme and taking the time to comment on each picture. That's a work of love for photography, for sure!
05-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
And a special thanks to atupdate for the great theme and taking the time to comment on each picture. That's a work of love for photography, for sure!
I found that if I typed my comments in MS Word as each photo was entered, it was not a lot of effort and it was easy to copy and pasted into the winners thread.

Tim