Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Weekly Challenge #285 - Light Painting
Posted By: Rakmup, 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM

Hello fellow Pentaxians....

What I love most about photography is seeing things in a new way that my eyes don't usually see them.
Light painting definitely fits the bill and can show motion or stills with specific shadowing and highlighting depending on your take.
I've seen many many steel wool sparks flying and globes of spinning light and this should not be about that. I will be looking for out of the box thinking and creativity. Try something new to you and maybe become the next big thing everyone else copies!
...oh yeah...Have fun!

This challenge will run until Friday May 30th at 8PM Pacific Time (UTC/GMT -7 hours). Can't wait to see your light paintings!

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Here's mine...just running a flashlight around the balls while in bulb mode.

Attached Images

Views: 4,647
05-23-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2

In cave
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-23-2014, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

This was a fun one. Foam ball covered in tin foil. doused the ball in lighter fluid. lit ball on fire while suspended on a microphone stand with someones hands held by the side. blew out fire. painted on the blue/green elements with finger lights. result: world on fire
05-23-2014, 08:16 PM - 3 Likes   #4

Photos: Gallery
I do a fair bit of Light painting and have a lot of custom made tools etc. but I often find the simpler methods work best. Old house lit across the front with a blue gelled flashlight, a pink gelled flash inside and a bare flashlight over the exterior.

No one home

05-24-2014, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5

Taken with a wide open M 50mm f/1.7 on a K-5. M 100mm f/2.8 also wide open on aluminium foil.
Light source is a single LED. 8 seconds exposure.
05-24-2014, 05:28 AM - 4 Likes   #6

Can't help but think that "Mother Nature" has the best light painting .. Shot with my K-r & Sigma 18-125mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
05-24-2014, 09:27 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

This was an experiment in long-exposure table-top light painting. I wanted to make it look like multi-colored steam was coming off ice water. So I grabbed a small freebie flashlight that I got from a trade show and taped some colored thread to it. The only light in the image is from that little three-LED light as I pointed it downward into the glass with the threads trailing below it. I think I used green, red, yellow, and white thread.

05-25-2014, 01:31 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Not sure if this counts.....light painting wih gas flame.......

05-25-2014, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

All of these images are amazing, folks. Lots of talent on display here.
05-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
light painting wih gas flame
Great punchy shot. I can almost feel a blast of heat myself.
05-25-2014, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Caution: Contents Are Hot

Snooted flash to light the cup.

Tim
05-25-2014, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glowing fig leaf

Late in the afternoon, as I was losing a battle to the relentless mosquitos when I noticed a beam of light coming through the darkening trees and shining down on a welcoming fig leaf., I crawled underneath and shot the illuminated fig leaf, I beat away a few more mosquitos, and was ready to catch another pic of my leaf, but when I looked back the sunbeam had moved on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
05-26-2014, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

"Just a drop in the bucket"

I raised a glass water filled container an 1" or "2 off the quartz counter top and shined a light under the container to reflect the color of the quartz and then fired the flash to catch a water drop falling into the container.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-26-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #14

Hi there,

I took this photograph with my Pentax X-5 when I was working in Lesotho, Africa. One of my colleagues was running around with an LED torch while I attempted to capture some interesting shots
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X-5  Photo 
05-29-2014, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

[IMG][/IMG]