Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread

Weekly Challenge #286 -- Summertime-Wintertime
Posted By: K David, 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

Hello, fellow Pentaxians....

In a few weeks we'll have the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the shortest in the Southern Hemisphere. So, this challenge is similar for but also different for users based on your location.

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, your challenge is to share a photo that conveys a sense of summertime. If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, your challenge is to share a photo that conveys a sense of wintertime. If you live on the equator, well, tough luck for you. (Just kidding because the equator is an infinitely thin line and no one lives directly on it.)

There will be, as always, only one judge for next week. This challenge seeks photos that convey the sense of the assigned season without using any of the stock image crutches, typical seasonal motifs, and so forth. The winner will convey a sense of the season in the most creative and technically well executed manner. Please indicate (if it's not in your biographical details under your user name) which hemisphere you live in.

Normally, this is the space in which the host shares some sample images to set fire to your creative thoughts. However, I'm going to turn things on their head this week and skip the sample image selection. (Read as: All my appropriate samples were taken with non-Pentax cameras.) I want your entries to present to the participants your creative vision in terms of conveying the idea of a season.

This challenge will run until Friday June 6th at 8PM Pacific Time (UTC/GMT -7 hours).

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

---------- Post added 05-30-14 at 10:27 PM ----------

Dangit. Can a moderator add "Weekly Challenge #286" to the subject, please? I got a bit excited about this and forgot that key component.

Last edited by K David; 05-30-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Views: 3,745
06-02-2014, 06:15 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Summer is when the daisies take over!

06-03-2014, 05:37 PM - 2 Likes   #17

This is my entry into the photo contest. This picture shows one of the many fun summer activities that go on in our backyard in the northern hemisphere (Texas). This was taken with my K-r using a Quantaray 70-300 mm lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
06-04-2014, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Summertime means spending time at our little camp on Prospector's Point.

06-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #19

morning in Mussalo

Hi,
Greetings from Finland. I´m a new member and pleased to find this site. I love my Pentax cameras (K-7 and K-3) and as a amateur I hope to learn to take good pics.
This picture is taken in Western Finland early in the morning. I walked by the lake with my dog and enjoyed of the silence...and beautiful views.
Pentax K-7, Pentax 18-55mm AL WR. f 5,6, ISO 100

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-06-2014, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WInter in the Kwazulu Natal, almost sub-tropical weather-Southern Hemisphere.
06-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The weekly contest closes in eight hours! These are some really great entries. I hope some last-minute images make my decision even more difficult. I have no idea right now whose photo I'm going to choose.
06-06-2014, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Early Summer in England....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/5820698007/in/set-72157626249841163

06-06-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Summer in the Bering Sea. One of my Aunts favorite places to be during the summer months.
06-06-2014, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What could be more summer than fireflies? Believe it or not, they are difficult to capture. The human eye picks them up quite well but their flashes are actually rather ephemeral and weak. After 2 nights of frustration, I finally went with my K 50mm f/1.2 wide open and focused at infinity. I got a few of the brighter ones. There were actually easily 2X the number of flashes as what you see here. This was taken at my sister's meadow in late June last year.

NaCl(going to go back and try again this year)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 06-06-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
06-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #25

Come on! It's 8:10pm and the Water's Warm!

The lights are on at the pier in Pacific Beach San Diego and it's 7:52pm but the water is warmer(70+ F) than the wind chilled air so she's going back in! Taken w/ a K3 + Tamron 90mm AF SP Di Macro f2.8@f4 1/250s ISO 800.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by airjames; 06-06-2014 at 11:11 PM.
06-07-2014, 12:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, awesome entries, everyone. I will try to get the winner notified and posted in the morning. If not, it will be tomorrow evening. Great showing and good turnout for this challenge.