Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #287 - Pets
Posted By: atupdate, 06-08-2014, 01:19 PM

This week's challenge is Pets. Your challenge this week is to show me your pet or your neighbor's pet, or visit a pet store.

Pets can be a challenge to shot, as they don't always want to pose. So break out the treat box and give it your best shot.

This challenge will run until Sunday June 15th at 5PM EDST. Can't wait to see the entries!

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Examples

Moe

Amber

Marty with his "captured" leaf (One of our foster puppies that was adopted this past weekend)

Good luck to everyone.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-09-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Views: 7,777
06-09-2014, 08:54 PM - 7 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

You must be a glutton for punishment, Tim, picking such a popular theme, and then advertising it on other threads! No shortage of judging to do here. Well, I can't resist joining in.

I took this one the last time it rained here, at the beginning of March. It's the desert, but when it does rain, we might get a substantial portion of the entire year's rainfall in a matter of hours. Lots of places flood, and the dog park is no exception. The dogs all have a blast running through the water.

P.S.: No one was injured while (or immediately after) taking this picture.

06-10-2014, 05:43 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dora, Humane Society rescue and sister to Big Al and Sydney displaying the rabbit/rodent warning look in any form of weather.

Last edited by lukulele; 07-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.
06-10-2014, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My pet Koi

My pet Koi Mrs. Limpet. She was in the middle of laying her eggs last week, and you can see she's laid quite a few already.

Last edited by Kendigitize; 02-03-2015 at 05:13 PM.
06-10-2014, 10:05 PM - 4 Likes   #34
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Jack (AKA "The Wrangler" -- because he fetches like a dog) rarely gives me the time of day, but he loves my wife like no other.

06-10-2014, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smiling for the camera

This is my sheltie, Jesse, who is quite the ham and absolutely loves to smile for the camera... which happens to be my first DSLR, a K-30 that I love.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-11-2014, 07:53 AM - 6 Likes   #36

Proof that dogs and cats can get along

These English labs aren't my pets (neither is the cheetah , but they're really cool nonetheless. This is a shot from the new Heart of Africa exhibit at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio. Cheetahs are naturally very shy and nervous in new settings, so many zoos will raise them as cubs alongside dog puppies, who are essentially their siblings through life, but much more social, helping to build confidence among the cheetahs. In this case, the cheetahs chased a lure around the track, then the zookeepers brought out the dogs to play alongside them for a while, which was entertaining to watch.

Shot with a Pentax K-5 and a Pentax DA* 300mm lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-11-2014, 09:21 AM - 12 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not a portrait as usual, some cats don't like butter on the bread...
May i introduce: Zamke

Greets

Attached Images

06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

You owe me a new keyboard! I had a mouthful of coffee when I saw that shot!

Brilliantly funny capture, well done.
06-11-2014, 01:15 PM - 4 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

My all-black Dalmatian. Yes. He just has one big spot.
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter

The shy one

My daughter in law's pet cat is really shy.I was lucky to catch a shot of him as he was peeping out of his special cat box.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zamke14 Quote
It's not a portrait as usual, some cats don't like butter on the bread...
May i introduce: Zamke

Greets
I'm almost embarrassed for submitting my boy's portrait after seeing your shot. 'AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!
06-12-2014, 02:46 PM - 4 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Foul-Weather Friend!

So many great entries, and I don't even have a pet! But this guy does and I do like street and pan-blur, so here's my entry.
K-5, DA 50mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6, 1/125s, ISO 800.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-12-2014, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Forum Member

I do not have a pet, however... While in Hermansberg, Northern Territory last week I took this shot of an adorable fellow that definitely had some dingo in him. The weather was hot, and nothing seemed to phase this chap. He just sauntered about the verandah-covered lunch tables like he owned the cafe. Technically this wasn't taken within the time-frame of the competition though, so if you can't include it OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE then no problems.

06-12-2014, 06:50 PM - 4 Likes   #44
Forum Member

I seldom use my Pentax K2000 and have been considering making it a dedicated black and white body. I took it outside and was playing around with it. My boy Samson was keeping me company. He seemed like the perfect model to see how the K2000 did shooting in black and white mode.
Attached Images

06-12-2014, 09:43 PM - 5 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

Japanese Spitz puppy, about 5 or 6 weeks of age. We own both the parents is why he was around at such a young age. We kept this one and I'm so glad we did. He turned out to be every bit as sweet as he looks here. A good boy all around!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo