Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #287 - Pets
Posted By: atupdate, 06-08-2014, 01:19 PM

This week's challenge is Pets. Your challenge this week is to show me your pet or your neighbor's pet, or visit a pet store.

Pets can be a challenge to shot, as they don't always want to pose. So break out the treat box and give it your best shot.

This challenge will run until Sunday June 15th at 5PM EDST. Can't wait to see the entries!

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Examples

Moe

Amber

Marty with his "captured" leaf (One of our foster puppies that was adopted this past weekend)

Good luck to everyone.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-09-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Views: 7,799
06-08-2014, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

PENTAX K-50
'Sumpy' my 4mth old rescue kitten.

Motivation? Very little needed with a new kitten around the place. She's a delight and has many faces and moods. I have more than a hundred photos already of her - difficult to choose

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 06-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.
06-08-2014, 04:34 PM - 9 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tia Maria

This was a very difficult choice as I just adopted a border collie puppy last week and I have years of pet photos I adore (but not as much as I adore my pets!)

Here is little Tia Maria with Misty who has happily taken on the role of mother, babysitter and playmate.

My Entry:

06-08-2014, 05:49 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is Chloe, sadly no longer with us.

We got her several years ago at an indeterminate age. She had been in training as an explosives detector dog but failed her final stamina test. Her trainers were puzzled and somewhat disappointed as she had been seen as one of their better recruits. One day a few weeks after we took her home, she started behaving strangely, refusing to chase a tennis ball and scratching around under trees in the back yard. Thinking nothing of it, I went to bed to be woken up at 2 am by strange noises outside the bedroom window. Grabbing a torch I went to investigate and found she had just delivered 10 almost pure black puppies. The previous owners identified the father as "Nitro" a Border Collie, who was also in training as an explosives dog. Little wonder she had failed her stamina test.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 06-08-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
06-08-2014, 11:20 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have chosen this shot of my most beloved pet in the last month of her life, two years ago this July. Casper was my girl. Her mother was a stray who had a litter of kittens in our garage while we away one year. We kept her and her mother and she lived with us for 16 years. Her mother died of heart disease and I made the mistake of waiting until the last miserable moment to rush her to vet. When Casper developed the same congenital condition I promised I would not allow her to decline to that point. After a close call in February of 2012, she was able to live in relative comfort for 5 more months with the aid of liquid heart meds. I took advantage of that time to cherish her and when the weather warmed I allowed her to explore the yard (she was frail and long past the risk of running off). This shot was taken on one of those last outings. The morning she was "ready" to let go, I found her panting in the living room. It was as if she knew and I had no doubt. I took her down to the emergency vet (it was Sunday on a holiday weekend of course) and was able to hold her and say good-bye at the end of her life... a sad but absolutely perfect way to see a faithful companion out of this world.
06-09-2014, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I have no pets but Snoopy is a neighbour's dog that was trained and purchased for pig hunting. Didn't like the camera much.
06-09-2014, 03:26 AM - 6 Likes   #7

Weekly Contest Entry on Pets.

Photo of my daughter trying to pick her favorite Kerry Blue Terrier Puppy. I think this photo captured her selection criteria, which one loves me the most. This puppy tried to seal the deal with a kiss.

Last edited by kraigg007; 02-28-2016 at 05:06 PM.
06-09-2014, 04:05 AM - 3 Likes   #8

This is Willow. She is a rescue cat that now thinks she owns the place.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
06-09-2014, 05:01 AM - 3 Likes   #9

My hiking buddy

Name:  OnBlodgett1-Sized.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  127.3 KB
06-09-2014, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Forum Member

Stewart

K-30 50mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
06-09-2014, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Einstein

I myself do not own any pets, but I jump at the opportunity to photograph pets of friends and family. Domestic animals can be such interesting and difficult subjects to capture, not just technically, but in a way which communicates something of the character of the pet.

This is my friend's dog whose name is Nigel but he looks like Einstein with his wily eyes and zany hair. I opted for black and white here because of the pillowy fluff of Nigel's hair.

Camera: K-50
Lens: SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2.0

Last edited by oculus; 07-15-2014 at 05:44 PM.
06-09-2014, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Glenn, my Airedale Terrier puppy..... sticks - no such thing as too big, too long or too heavy!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-09-2014, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I may change it later, I really didn't get a shot I liked and it's hot and buggy out.... but for now...
OK one change... none of that sweet syrupy "cute puppy" stuff for me.

Last edited by normhead; 06-09-2014 at 11:26 AM.
06-09-2014, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #14

Tom getting ready for a night on the town!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX X90  Photo 
06-09-2014, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #15

Sanû, my cat !