Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Weekly Challenge #288 - OLD
Posted By: tessfully, 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks to Tim for the honour of last weeks win. This week's theme is OLD.

Old anything.
Old house. Old face. Old stone. Old cheese. Old hat.
Give me your best most unique Old.

And if there is an Old Story to accompany your Old Image that would be awesome.

Few examples.

These are Old cars taken with an Old camera (Optio W80), my first Pentax. Till this day it is one of my favourite photos and I always wish I could take it again with my new camera, new lenses and new skills.

Here is part of the Old Power Plant in Niagara Falls commissioned in 1905, and in the background you can see the Old Scow that got stuck on the rocks August 1918 moments before it would have gone over Horseshoe Falls, much to the relief of the deck hands.

And I cherish this photo. My grandmothers hands on mine. She was 91 and she passed away a year after this was taken.

This challenge will run until Sunday June 22nd at 5PM EDST.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by tessfully; 06-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Views: 4,255
06-18-2014, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's one I took recently. This is my youngest son at the grave of his great, great, great grandmother.

Matt and Mary Lou
by pentaximus, on Flickr

06-19-2014, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

My mother at 88yrs being taught Chinese by her great grand daughter who attends a bilingual kindergarten.
06-20-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

La Tour Eiffel, Eiffel tower errected in 1889 for the world fair 1889. Different perspective, as guarded by the women in gold in front of the Théâtre National de Chaillot.
Very special light at that oment i pressed the button. Over 100 years of history.
Greets
Oliver
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-21-2014, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #19

Elk Skull - Yellowstone

Elk Skull - Yellowstone

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-21-2014, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the most exotic photograph but this book was given to my father in 1938 when he was 10 but judging by the condition it was likely much older than that (I can find no date). It is now my son's prized possession preserved in a plastic bag at all times. The pages and colorful plates . It is not only old and well thumbed and marked by my father, it is truly a family treasure.
06-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a wonderful line-up of images. The challenge closes at 5:00 today so still time to dig into your archives /or excavate something new that's old to you .
06-22-2014, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

An Old(ish) locomotive given an "old" feeling

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/8601939086/in/photostream

06-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Public Library-Port Elizabeth

Here is some of the History, taken from Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism
The splendid old Port Elizabeth Main Library is situated in the North-Western corner of Market Square. The first building on the site was constructed in 1835 and was initially used as a courthouse from 1854. The present library building was officially opened in 1902. The building is regarded as an excellent example of Victorian Gothic architecture and the terra-cotta façade was manufactured in England. The majestic Sicilian marble statue of Queen Victoria, which keeps watch over the Market Square, was erected and unveiled in 1903. Visitors are invited to browse around inside the Library.
In Port Elizabeth, a small reading society, known as the Port Elizabeth News Society was established in 1844 and housed in a rented room above a shop in Jetty Street. The reading matter consisted mainly of English magazines and London newspapers and the main South African newspapers published at the time, in addition to a small collection of books.

In 1845, the Society moved to a rented room in the Commercial Hall which stood on the site of the present Main Library building. At a public meeting held on 26 July 1848, the residents decided to start a subscription library. £585 was collected from public subscriptions, and a yearly income of £197 was guaranteed. In addition, the government of the day gave a grant of £200. The Public Library was very successful and, partly through buying shares, but mostly through members who donated their shares, managed to acquire the Commercial Hall wholly as their own building. In 1854, the library moved out and rented the building to the Government, which used the old Commercial Hall as a court house. The library was housed at various sites until 31 July 1902, when it was officially opened and housed in its present building. In the 1960’s, plans were mooted to demolish the building in order to make way for the erection of a Provincial Administration block, which would include space for a Provincial Library Service. Fortunately, this never happened, and in 1983, the building was declared a historic monument. Today it is the only historic building in South Africa built as a Public Library which is still functioning as a public library. In 1965, after a public referendum was held, the assets of the Port Elizabeth Public Library and the North End Library were handed over to the Port Elizabeth Municipality and, together with the assets of the Walmer Library, formed the nucleus of the municipal Port Elizabeth Public Libraries.

And as an added note, I have some memories scrounging around this library researching philosophy. A lovely smell of old books, and stunning quiet atmosphere.
06-22-2014, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Public Library-Port Elizabeth

Here is some of the History, taken from Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism
The splendid old Port Elizabeth Main Library is situated in the North-Western corner of Market Square. The first building on the site was constructed in 1835 and was initially used as a courthouse from 1854. The present library building was officially opened in 1902. The building is regarded as an excellent example of Victorian Gothic architecture and the terra-cotta façade was manufactured in England. The majestic Sicilian marble statue of Queen Victoria, which keeps watch over the Market Square, was erected and unveiled in 1903. Visitors are invited to browse around inside the Library.
In Port Elizabeth, a small reading society, known as the Port Elizabeth News Society was established in 1844 and housed in a rented room above a shop in Jetty Street. The reading matter consisted mainly of English magazines and London newspapers and the main South African newspapers published at the time, in addition to a small collection of books.

In 1845, the Society moved to a rented room in the Commercial Hall which stood on the site of the present Main Library building. At a public meeting held on 26 July 1848, the residents decided to start a subscription library. £585 was collected from public subscriptions, and a yearly income of £197 was guaranteed. In addition, the government of the day gave a grant of £200. The Public Library was very successful and, partly through buying shares, but mostly through members who donated their shares, managed to acquire the Commercial Hall wholly as their own building. In 1854, the library moved out and rented the building to the Government, which used the old Commercial Hall as a court house. The library was housed at various sites until 31 July 1902, when it was officially opened and housed in its present building. In the 1960’s, plans were mooted to demolish the building in order to make way for the erection of a Provincial Administration block, which would include space for a Provincial Library Service. Fortunately, this never happened, and in 1983, the building was declared a historic monument. Today it is the only historic building in South Africa built as a Public Library which is still functioning as a public library. In 1965, after a public referendum was held, the assets of the Port Elizabeth Public Library and the North End Library were handed over to the Port Elizabeth Municipality and, together with the assets of the Walmer Library, formed the nucleus of the municipal Port Elizabeth Public Libraries.

And as an added note, I have some memories scrounging around this library researching philosophy. A lovely smell of old books, and stunning quiet atmosphere.
Don’t know much about Fosi, …. her life, her dreams
but her look of amused satisfaction makes me think she was doing just fine.

K2000/Vivitar 70-210 of unknown manufacture

Last edited by DeepThrob; 01-28-2015 at 08:56 PM.
06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. This one is closed. I will post the winners in the morning.
06-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Winners are posted here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/266369-weekly...e-288-old.html