Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Weekly Challenge #288 - OLD
Posted By: tessfully, 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks to Tim for the honour of last weeks win. This week's theme is OLD.

Old anything.
Old house. Old face. Old stone. Old cheese. Old hat.
Give me your best most unique Old.

And if there is an Old Story to accompany your Old Image that would be awesome.

Few examples.

These are Old cars taken with an Old camera (Optio W80), my first Pentax. Till this day it is one of my favourite photos and I always wish I could take it again with my new camera, new lenses and new skills.

Here is part of the Old Power Plant in Niagara Falls commissioned in 1905, and in the background you can see the Old Scow that got stuck on the rocks August 1918 moments before it would have gone over Horseshoe Falls, much to the relief of the deck hands.

And I cherish this photo. My grandmothers hands on mine. She was 91 and she passed away a year after this was taken.

This challenge will run until Sunday June 22nd at 5PM EDST.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by tessfully; 06-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Views: 4,249
06-16-2014, 03:13 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
98 and going strong

My wife's aunt had a 90th birthday celebration on Father's Day.This is the older sister "Ardie" who came to the party and she is 98..She came in a wheel chair because she had broken her hip about a month ago and I took a quick candid of her so as not to put her on the spot with a posed picture.I have a plethora of old shots that fit the challenge but I like this shot as a tribute to her longevity.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-16-2014, 03:54 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Old Roman Bridge - Cordoba, Spain

[IMG][/IMG]
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #4

Chaleur 10

Coming from a small town where fisheries is the main job giver, this boat has been rotting away in the field for as long as I can remember. Close access was even at my own risk! Done with my Pentax K-X.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
06-16-2014, 05:04 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Old Glass - Besides the oil lamp, some of the glass in the window is the original glass from 1898. This is from a working historical farm that is now part of the regional park system.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 06-19-2014 at 04:23 AM.
06-16-2014, 05:30 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Old man messing around with old helmet eyeing slightly younger photographer using 1 year old K-30 camera with 2 year old DA40 lens...
06-16-2014, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Okinawa is littered with WWII relics. Some, like many thousands of tons of unexploded bombs, remain buried waiting to be found by a metal detector or a shovel. Others, like dilapidated planes, found their way over time to parking lots as parts donors, attractions, and tourist traps. The valuable parts -- engines, weapons, and systems -- are long reclaimed by governments or sold for scrap, but these relics carcasses remain as quiet testament to the long-lasting ripples that warfare causes in peoples' lives, cultures, and our overall human psyche.

06-16-2014, 08:40 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Nepali Woman

I actually did not see this little old Lady at first. I was almost standing on her then I realized there was a person a couple inches from me. I stepped back and saw she was dozing in the sun. I took the photo from chest level hoping to get her... amazing weathered and just sitting .... This was in Muktinath in Nepali Himalayas..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
06-17-2014, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

At 1,600 years, this is the oldest known bristlecone pine in Cedar Breaks, Utah.
06-18-2014, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great theme, Tess. I'll go with...

Old as the Earth This rock outcrop is 600 million years old and the geology student in the lower left is examining the underlying rocks, which are about 1100 million years old. (The professor described himself as ancient, but not quite as old as the rocks.) A scan from film transparency shot with a Pentax K-1000 with a 50mm f/1.7 lens.

06-18-2014, 05:56 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
School Is Out!

Hi Tess, good theme this week!
Here's my 'Old' entry, it's not millions of years old, but by the standards of public US buildings, it's old enough to be considered historical.
East High School, illuminated by a break in a stormy sky. Built in 1875, the first high school in Denver, with a total enrollment of 2,500 students. The first graduating class was in 1877. Still in operation, 139 years later.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-18-2014, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Possibly the oldest human arfifacts I have set eyes upon are the terracotta warriors in Xian Province China. Dated at approximately 200 BC, they were discovered by chance by farmers digging a well. While may hundreds have been restored, these fragments are shown as they were uncovered. The numbered tags on some of the fragments are used for identification. Of the many hundreds of these figures restored no two have identical features, even details in their clothing and footwear vary from one to the next.

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 06-18-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typo
06-18-2014, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Was at a car show last weekend but had more fun in the boneyard with the old stuff
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-18-2014, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

My old thing is an old woodworking plane. I worked for awhile in a factory that made reproduction pine furniture and we took care to use some period tools and sometimes used hand planes in levelling and finishing the tables. A hand plane properly sharpened leaves a much smoother surface than sanding if done right. One of the problems with this approach is the poor standards employed in making modern quality tools. You can get good stuff made in europe but most of the NA stuff is currently garbage. When smoothing tables it makes it a lot easier to get the table flat if you use a smoothing plane, a #4 1/2. It's wider than the more common #4 but the same length. As far as I can tell this is one from the last run made in North America, in 19010.

There are so many tip offs to the kind of quality that used to be common in these tools that is sadly lacking today.

The base of the plane was cast and the thrown outside to "age" for a year. It takes that long for a casting to become stable. Then they were machined flat. You can see how much it warped because the sides thickness varies as dose the base. The base is perfectly flat after 100 years, if you check anything made recently, you can't even find a flat one in a lot of 100. They are machined while still warm and warp brutally. Also, notice the brass screw in the Rosewood knob and the brass fittings and rosewood handle. Both the brass and Rosewood are fittings of a bygone era. When I worked in the plant, this tool was prized by everyone, and borrowed for almost every table that went through the plant. Now it sits out in the shed in my tool box, it's got some rust and saw dust sticking to it. You can see where my hand rubbed off the sawdust last time I used it. I bought it at auction , I found it in a retiring farmer's tool box, along with another old treasure, a routing plane from the same era. I got the both for 5$ each in the late 70's. Even then they were worth 20 times that.

This one patented in 1902, the last date listed is 1910 so I'm guessing it was made then.

Beside it is a circular plane, that's was used to plane wagon wheels, it's bottom could be adjusted to conform to the diameter of the wheel. I have no idea who the maker is or where it came from, and it's missing it's handle, there was a poory made substitute handle on it when I bought it at auction, it looks better without it, and those things are darn hard to use, handle or no handle., another strange thing found in an auction lot in at the Auction Hall, 1/2 mile from my house near Perth Ontario.

And to the far right is a routing plane patented in 1907. These are my old treasures from my cabinet making days.

Last edited by normhead; 06-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.
06-18-2014, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not everything grow old at the same pace. This flower is old - the shot was taken around Thanksgiving of 2012. This flower has been touched by frost and its petals have grown dull and dry and discolored. It is in its "old age" but still has seeds yet to be sown. Photo taken with Pentax K-x and Pentax DA L 18 - 55 mm f3.5 -5.6 kit lens at f22, 1/100 sec.