Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners Weekly Challenge 288 - OLD
Posted By: tessfully, 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM

I enjoyed everyone’s interpretation of the theme. I love how photography can capture time and hold it still long enough for our imaginations and memories to grab hold and set it back in motion. That is how your images affected me. This challenge turned into an interesting journey, so thank you one and all!

charliezap/Charlie, 98 and going strong
For a quick candid this is a beautiful portrait of Aunt Ardie. There is a lifetime of stories written on her face, and in the expression you captured, the experience of deep time. Lovely black and white rendering … a sense of tenderness conveyed by the soft vignette.

sealonsf – Old Roman Bridge – Cordoba, Spain
1st century BC is almost the oldest subject in the challenge. I absolutely love the lighting in your shot. Very nicely framed. An overall gorgeous image.

Matz Chase – Chaleur 10
The mood in your photo is palpable. The grainy gray clouds and derelict boat resting against the grass vibrating under a wedge of setting sun. I love how the boat is lit and the geese formations in the sky. This is a scene I would love an opportunity to take. Btw, welcome to the Forums!

Atupdate/Tim – Old Glass
I lived in a century old farmhouse and many of the windows had wavy distorted glass with little trapped air pockets here and there. Always fascinating… the uniqueness of each piece and the old process of making glass. Your framing of your image really shows off the beauty of both pieces.

Bluesman – Old Man messing around with Old Helmet
Memorable portrait with visual impact. Love the tilt of his head and his smirk. The black and white rendering adds to the image. Really like this a lot!

K David – WWII Relic
The story that accompanies you photo is nicely written, thoughtful, and very interesting. It draws me into that contemplative state of mind as I look at the image of the plane’s carcass. Seeing the bones of war plunked down in parking lots as a form of tourist attraction is to me a strange idea but a good photo opt.

Warmwindynights – Nepali Woman
That is a very touching and beautiful portrait. Literally a slice of time, but all of time reflected in the face of this dozing woman. Nice work!

SpecialK-
Just an incredible tree that totally reflects its subalpine arid environment --- even the colour is similar to the dolomitic soil it grows in. But for me, what your photo makes me think of is those twisted old walking talking trees in The Lord of the Rings.

Tamia – Old As the Earth
I love rock formations and the stories they tell. This would be the Bones of the Earth. I am not sure but I think your subject is just about the oldest entry in this challenge. Nice job on the processing.

rbefly – School is Out
What an incredible opportunity you had --- dramatic lighting and great vantage point --- an opportunity you did not waste. This is the historical present. Absolutely love the shot.

Bruce – terracotta warriors
This is a super intriguing photo and very cool artifacts. I did a google search and learned these were part of the Emperor’s tomb. Amazing what human’s have done/will do to honour our dead.

mkymic – car show bone yard
Awesome that you described these as from the bone yard … guarantee, if I was at a car show that is where I would spend my time. I also enjoy partial views and this is a great one, complete with rust and cobweb.

Normhead – woodworking planes
Love that you took the time to set this up for the challenge, and that you took so much time to tell the story. Beautiful tools. One of my favourite quotes on photography and time is by Roland Barthes:

…I recall that at first photographic implements were related to techniques of cabinetmaking and the machinery of precision: cameras, in short, were clocks for seeing, (...) - Barthes, R. Camera Lucida, 15

Bill – Old flower
I almost selected a spent flower as one of my examples, so I am really happy to see you posted this. I really enjoyed your narrative as well. Your flower shares time and space yet embodies both old age and renewal at the same time.

Pentaximus – Matt and Mary Lou
You have captured a special moment. Love the framing and absorbed nature of this image. It looks like your son is totally engrossed in the idea of this being his great great great grandmother.

Arjay Bee --
For me this topic is driven by emotion (rather than an eye to the technical) and your image is very tender and touching. I also really appreciate the composition, focus, softness and the black and white rendering. Beautifully done!

Zamke14 - La Tour Eiffel, Eiffel Tower
Wow, this is an amazing shot! Love the golden glow and the composition absolutely rocks.

Scuffer – Elk Skull, Yellowstone
Ah ha! Literally, old bones! Photos I love to take and truly enjoy viewing. I always think it is a privilege to come across a skull like this. Nicely seen and photographed.

Joe – Grimms Fairy Tales
This is a real treasure and I think your take on the book is very evocative and expertly processed. The depth of field is awesome. I have stared at this photo for long moments as it stirs memory and imagination. Really nice work!

Stephen Hampshire – an Old(ish) Locomotive

I am a fan of your train images and this one does not disappoint. I was wondering if someone might pp for antiquity…glad you did as it suits your image perfectly. Wonderful to view.

Noel – Public Library _ Port Elizabeth

Wonderful image with a terrific wide angle view. Your narrative on the history of this building is fascinating, but it was your addendum that took me inside: A lovely smell of old books, and stunning quiet atmosphere.

DeepThrob – fish fossil

Wow! Great fossil, so nicely photographed. Love the textures and tones… and the sepia colour. I’d love to come across a fossil as crisp as this one.

Btw, I have an old vivitar 70 – 210…. Paid $30.00 for it and it’s one of my favourite lenses.

Well, I see a trend in my selection. I thought to select based on category (cultural relic, nature, etc.) but in the end, I came full circle back to our Elders.

First – Arjay Bee

Second – Charlie

Third - bbluesman

Honourable Mention - Warmwindynights

Thanks again EVERYONE for the lovely submissions.

Last edited by tessfully; 06-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Views: 1,104
06-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I saw that image of Arjay Bee, I said WOW, what en emotively charged shot! Excellent Arjay. A worthy winner-no contention there! B/W adds a wonderful dimension there too! Congratulations. I hope you enter it for PEG. And the same applies to Charlie's and bbluesman images, and of course that other evocative image of warmwindynights. I'm tempted to think you chose your forum name based on that photo warmwinternights. Never saw anything like it when I was in Nepal myself. Thanks Tess for a wonderful challenge that produced another feast for the eyes. And for judging and commenting. As usual-not a single word of criticism. I appreciate it that you are able to appreciate other photographers creations.
06-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Congrats to Arjay for winning the challenge. I am honored to have come in 2nd and congrats to bbluesman and warmwindynights. Tess did a great job of judging. I'm looking to Arjay's challenge.--charliezap
06-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Old and New

Congratulations to Arjay Bee, Charlie, bbluesman and Warmwindynights, fine candid portraits all.
Thanks to Tess for her work on this challenge, many worthy entrants to choose from.
Ron

06-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for choosing my mother's picture - I don't think I will tell her though as I am sure it will not be taken as a compliment. Tess, you had a beautiful range of memorable images to choose from and made lovely comments on each. I hope you all will make my choice just as hard... Well done all.

Image details: In camera B&W processing so straight to JPEG using K20D with Super Takumar 105 2.8 lens at about f4. The northern light was coming from a well lit window but as it was taken in NZ this is the same as using the well known "Southern Light" technique..

Next week's comp. up in a short while.
06-24-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A very worthy winner!
06-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely portraits in this challenge, and well deserved wins to Arjay, Charlie, Mark (bbluesman), and Warmwindynights. Another excellent choice of subjects, Tess, and your comments are always appreciated. Thanks for the time you put into that.

06-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I want to submit a protest. How are we supposed to compete against the well known "Southern Light" technique. Congratulations to all of the winners and thanks to Tess for hosting. A great range of subjects that was fun to view.

Tim
06-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #9

Congratulations to the winners!