Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners Weekly Challenge #289 Used
Posted By: Arjay Bee, 07-01-2014, 05:41 AM

Well 24 images to review and as wide a range of images as I could imagine and in fact invited. Thank you all for participating and I have enjoyed spending several minutes with each image, at several times over the week, thinking about what you each have written and uploaded.

For me, the chief litmus test is ‘memorability’. In a month or two’s time which of the two dozen images will I remember? Hooks into my memory primarily involves subject matter. This may at times be a picture that resonates with me and that I would have possibly seen and taken or at times be at complete odds with my experience and jars me into really looking at it closely and wondering about the story behind it. My selections this week have examples of both.

Just as the music in a film should not be consciously noticed while viewing the movie, technical aspects of the image should not be obvious (imho). If these aspects are prominent then they are detracting from the image not supporting the image. Thinking about what makes an image work will then lead me to review the technical aspects that contribute to the image’s strength.

Dewman - Broken Bottle Beneath Wagon
The image was well worth the effort. The blown lights at the rear of the image and the dust and decay generally are redolent of old barns and derelict buildings once commonly used in past times. I enjoy the treatment and the memories it evokes for me of aged relatives and their old sheds in which I played and explored in my childhood.

Airjames – Decoration on Church
Another place another time before GPS when such ornaments gave us direction and orientation by standing on the highest point in the community and gave us wind direction as well. An interesting choice of a used object which is still serving a useful purpose.

Jmschrie – Boots and Pants
There is a story here – what industrial accident has triggered the jettisoning of the clothing? Is that paint or cement? Intriguing subject for a photograph and an interesting treatment.

Dieterson – Pair of shoes
The processing was an interesting non obvious choice here. More sepia and softness would have perhaps been the more unexamined direction that another photographer may have taken. Again, there is a back story that lies in here with such an obviously well used pair of runners that have been so weathered in more recent months.

Knock – Old Coke Bottle
Truly a found object that would be recognisable in all corners of the planet. I enjoyed your treatment and the textures that make the smooth old glass surface stand out from its natural surroundings.

Tessfully – Suspended in Frozen carbonated H2O
The flat plane and the frozen bubbles make a very strong image. I enjoy the leaves sandwiched below the surface and the strong colors and textures.

Charliezap – Used but not forgotten
I have lived in a city near a river in the past and the juxtaposition of the old wharves, the industrial landscape on the other side and the somewhat bleak open space above the river all speak to me and recall similar landscapes. I enjoy your treatment here.

Rebefly – Baggage?
I have a number of bags that I use depending on the excursion but never had a Domke. You have beautifully set up this product shot and show the bag off very well. Image, together with your story, makes me want to try a Domke next bag purchase.

Tamia – Old Campaigner
I very much enjoyed the story of the jacket. I think we all enjoy our ‘comfort clothing’ as well as comfort food. Strongly framed and posed the jacket arm is waving to me. Looks like it could make a great cushion as well as a jacket.

Normhead – Junk from woods
I enjoyed the care with which you set up this shot and the story and lyric fragment with which you introduced the image. I look forward to seeing other found objects from out of the woods. Starting point for a Stephen King novel here.

JonAaby80 – Rusty
What did this object used to hold or cover? An interesting texture and detail shot that perhaps raises more questions than it answers.

Cindyhess – Old Instruments
My grand father used to play the piano accordion – a different instrument but a memory was touched none the less. Very colourful image and interesting story. Again relics from another time and another culture.

Z-jay – Overused city map
A feature of city living is this defacement of public property and the way the institution owning the surface just gives up and abandons the space to the despoilers. I am glad I live in a country town where such scenes have a short life span. Pity the purpose of the map – to guide the lost – is now buried in the superficial graphics created by the truly lost.

CatsCradle – the cameras
As a camera collector myself I appreciate the mechanical cameras from a few decades ago. I enjoyed your obvious shared appreciation and the treatment you gave these two worthy subjects.

Smf – Gettysburg Railroad
Rolling stock from another time – in need of restoration. I enjoyed the colours and the textures. What age is it from and is it readily visible or hidden away in a museum backlot? The size, weight and power of these old vehicles and sheer visual mass is always an intriguing photographic subject.

Bruce Clark – Outrigger Canoe
An interesting image of a much used canoe from another culture. Rough hewn and elemental, I am sure you will have taken further shots of this construction exploring its design elements and details

Amez – Old Gear Wheel
Good toe stubber, leads me to wonder where the wheel was encountered and the machine it may have come from, or still be attached to beneath the ground. Similar sights can be seen near where I live with abandoned machinery in the rain forest from WWII.

KDavid – Used light bulb
The incandescence is well depicted and in this age of LED and fluoro lights it is clearly a very used bulb. Limited colour palette supports this old style image.

Special K – time for someone else
A common sight these days. I enjoyed your comment where you saw the woman’s action as preparation for the next contributor. Clear image strong colours and interesting street photo.

Toastong – security shoes
An intriguing image and point of view. The stubbed toes and very shallow depth of field had me stumped for a while but I enjoyed reading the commentary and learning just what the image means to you.

Sealonsf – well used bicycle
Good spot to take this image. Do those wheels still turn. Colours and cobble stones and stucco walls indicate a European locality. Interesting image.

Reeftool – Ratommy truck
Great contrast with the neighbouring vehicles – tried to identify the vehicle – I do enjoy these vehicle threads on these boards and this one is a worthy companion to those.

Atupdate – Old time fun stilts
I learned to use similar stilts when I was a kid. This image brought back memories. Modern stilts need a fixture to carry the modern day kids’ cell phones.

Lukulele – WWII Catalina
Used plane, used boat, used slide, used Spotmatic, so much to enjoy in this image. The kodachrome colours are vibrant and the tropical sky makes an strong back drop.

First place:
Lukulele: This image reminds me of the beaches where I live 42 years later. Same seascape, same foliage and war wreckage still buried in the trees. The kodachrome colours and the contrast between the wrecked plane and the locally built boat all contribute to my enjoyment of the image. We don’t have Catalina’s and wooden boats but Beaufort bombers and aluminium dinghies.

Runner Up 1
CharlieZap:
Old piers remain from times of the sailing ships. Built from hardwood they resist and remain and bear testimony to the way the river was used in decades passed. An interesting shot and echo rivers and cities where I have lived and travelled.

Runner Up 2
Dewman: The image reminds me of buildings around my childhood and the carts and broken bottles have lots of history to tell. Your treatment supports these wisps of memory.

Over to you Lukulele - look forward to seeing your topic...
Views: 2,126
07-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great competition and very well judged. As always I am looking forward to the next installment.
07-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice work with the comments Arjay and congratulations to the winners.

Tim
07-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks to Arjay Bee for his subject and commentary. Congratulations to CharlieZap and Dewman and all who entered. I'll have a subject (and a verb) up later today

07-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners! Gorgeous shots!
07-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for a great topic and super job judging. Lukulele's find is pretty hard to top for sure. Congrats to all.

As for the boots and pants, I suspect the offending substance is mud, possibly someone caught down on the delta during a spring storm. Funnier is the image in my mind of someone driving home in underwear and bare feet on what was likely a cool night!
07-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #7

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you Arjay Bee for giving feedback to every single picture. It is appreciated! :-)

07-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations!

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to Arjay Bee for the judging and commentary.
Ron
07-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great challenge! I enjoyed the entries and a special thanks to Arjay Bee for commenting on everyone's photo. Congrats Joe... super shot! And congrats to Charlie and Dewman as runner's up
07-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

A very good challenge and judging. 2 weeks in a row I've placed 2nd.I'm going to try a wee bit harder for the next challenge.--charliezap