Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Weekly challenge # 290 parade
Posted By: lukulele, 07-01-2014, 05:18 PM

Thanks to Arjay Bee for allowing me to judge this week's theme. After searching through past weekly challenges I think this would be appropriate for this time of year all around the globe.

This Week's theme is PARADE. Use this as noun or verb and make it quirky or obvious. If there's a story to further your image's history, be sure and tell us.

This challenge will run until Tuesday 8 July 2014 at 2400 EST
Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Two examples to consider………….and let's see your images.

Last edited by lukulele; 07-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Views: 3,533
07-01-2014, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Annual Doodah parade in Pasadena. The Girl Scouts of America are known for their fund-raising cookie sales.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-02-2014 at 06:04 AM.
07-02-2014, 12:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

A parade of ghosts. THis was a happy accident that occurred when I was trying IR photography on my K-7 the first time. During the 30-second exposure, someone walked up the ramp to Muni. He stopped every step or two to see if I was going to take the shot.
07-02-2014, 06:10 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leader of the Pack

07-02-2014, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I don't have many parade shots (noun or verb). Here is a typical 4th of July parade shot with the fire department trucks.

Tim
07-02-2014, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Seagulls to Infinity

I was walking along the beach in Malibu in an area where a lot of seabirds apparently like to gather. All of a sudden, I hear "HONKAHONKAHONKA..." One of the seagulls had suddenly decided that they were going to march around with their beak open honking. Then, a bunch of other seagulls decided to join in. I really don't know what was going on, but it sure did seem important! I took a bunch of photos, but this is the only one in which they lined up in a nice, straight line.
Attached Images

07-02-2014, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The undead on parade This was during a parade that opens the county fair each year. This ghoulish character was singing on top of the hearse to advertise a haunted house for Halloween season, there wer also several zombies walking along the parade route handing out brochures absolutely nothing to do with the fair but a pretty cool display.

07-03-2014, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Aquatic Parade!

Well, it's got floats, brightly-dressed participants and many are moving in the same direction. A celebration!
K-5, DA 35mm f/2.4AL @ f/9.0, 1/250s, ISO 100. The South Platte Riverfest, Confluence Park, 6-28/29, 2014. Lessons on all sorts of watercraft, all free.
Ron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-03-2014, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took this photo while in Hong Kong, many years ago. I didn't realize the veiled message it contained until I had developed the roll of film and had time to study the results. I realized that although, at first glance, all the gum ball machines looked the same, further study revealed that they weren't. Much like us humans, there were subtle differences that set them apart from each other. Some had blemishes and yet functioned flawlessly. Some were pristine and near perfect in appearance but failed to perform as expected. Some were taller that their shorter neighbors. Some held more enticing rewards that their counterparts. Some demanded more for the prizes they held in seclusion only to be proven no more desirable than the less expensive ones. But, in the final analysis, they were all part of a much bigger picture and functioned well as a group. They were, indeed, a parade of individuals - the same, but oh, so different.

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 12:57 PM ----------

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:35 PM.
07-03-2014, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is some little parade here tomorrow (the Calgary Stampede led by William Shatner this year). I don't think I have gone since the 1960s. How about this informal "parade"of visitors and locals on and off the Peace Bridge on Canada Day 2012.

07-04-2014, 09:54 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Site Supporter

Gull parade in formation.

I guess that I was leading this "Parade" of the laughing gulls. It was easy to do when I was holding a pretzel rod and they just hovered there waiting to make a move.--charliezap
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh man, I love it. I've had crowds of seagulls follow me around on the beach even when I haven't had any food! You know how physicists talk about gravity wells in spacetime that can attract and retain objects with their gravitational potential? I think I must have been attracting and retaining this cloud of seagulls because I was a walking well of food potential.
07-06-2014, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terracotta Warriors on Parade in Xian, China. A section of the army made to protect the Emperor's tomb.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-07-2014, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Albums
Eynsham village carnival
Oxfordshire
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-07-2014, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

And now for something completely different...

Oktoberfest 2010 - there was a part dedicated to the celebration of Wiesn (this is the Bavarian name) in a more traditional manner, not what most people believe the Oktoberfest should look like. This is the first band marching on the place prepared for the horse races which were part of the Oktoberfest before it became what it is now.