Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners of Challenge #291
Posted By: charliezap, 07-18-2014, 07:23 AM

The results are in boys and girls and here are the winners of this week' "It's seen better days" Challenge.

1st Place--Rense.
Right out of the starting gate this was a favorite of mine and others.The B&W presentation evoked the spirit and essence of the theme with a good amount of pathos to make one wonder about the "better days".

2nd Place--Daacon.
Having grown up along the Saugus River in the Boston area I have seen many boats that have seen "better days". Dave's colorful presentation brought me back in time to those times that I fondly remember.

3rd Place--Mblanc
As with the boats from years ago there was a junk yard down the street from me where we would play hide and seek as long as the watchman didn't see us.Matt's entry was also a vehicle that transported me back to that era of "better days"

Name:  betterdays-9.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  268.7 KB

Honorable Mentions

Noelcmn---A very nice shot.I really liked this capture.If the main subject of man and belongings were in different thought provoking surroundings I think that it would have made the top 3.

Alikaytan--A simple shot that conveyed the essence of the Challenge.It did make me think of those junk yard "better" days.

Michel Dallaire--I see that Michel has been a Forum member for less than a week.Welcome aboard---A great way to start. This shot made me smile.I used to have a pop up tent trailer years ago and that shot brought back memories of those "days"

Thanks to all that entered my Challenge. Judging is certainly subjective and this is the way that my minds eye saw what was presented to me. I'm passing the baton to Rense and looking forward to his Challenge for the week.

To everyone stay safe and vigilant in this crazy world that's all around us.The pictures that we take should always take us back to times that are usually connected with fond memories of "Better Days"---charliezap

Name:  betterdays1az.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  238.8 KB

Views: 1,843
07-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Rense-as usual stunning stuff from you. A very evocative pic, all the more so with that horrible airplane crash. And of course to Daacon and Mblanc, and my fellow HM's. I am honored to receive an HM, considering the very high standard of images in this challenge. Such talent on this forum. Thanks Charlie for a stunning challenge, its popularity to be gauged by the number of entries on this one. Judging could not have been easy, so a hearty thanks for taking the time out to judge this one! Great stuff everyone.
On another note, yes I did want to capture him from another angle- he was coming up the road close to where I live, and by the time I got the camera and settings all right, he had turned the corner next to my house. I was tempted to ask him to turn around, but some of these guys keep their pride intact and do not like being photographed, and some can get downright nasty if you just take photos of them. This was a "stolen" shot through the picket fencing. Never seen him again, but on the lookout.
07-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was a tough one Charlie great job on the judging. Thanks for the 2nd place an honor among all the outstanding entries. Congrats to everyone as always, all the HM's , Michel and of course the winner Rense. We'll see what's up next.
07-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners. Charliezap, I did not envy your position in having to pick a winner. Lots of great images. Great theme as well.

07-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Congratulations Rense-as usual stunning stuff from you. A very evocative pic, all the more so with that horrible airplane crash. And of course to Daacon and Mblanc, and my fellow HM's. I am honored to receive an HM, considering the very high standard of images in this challenge. Such talent on this forum. Thanks Charlie for a stunning challenge, its popularity to be gauged by the number of entries on this one. Judging could not have been easy, so a hearty thanks for taking the time out to judge this one! Great stuff everyone.
On another note, yes I did want to capture him from another angle- he was coming up the road close to where I live, and by the time I got the camera and settings all right, he had turned the corner next to my house. I was tempted to ask him to turn around, but some of these guys keep their pride intact and do not like being photographed, and some can get downright nasty if you just take photos of them. This was a "stolen" shot through the picket fencing. Never seen him again, but on the lookout.
It was a pleasure to do this challenge.I'm always thinking ahead. If I'm lucky to win another I'm toying with the idea of the challenge being "A picture within a Picture" where you submit 2 shots one of them being a shot within the original shot.Just a thought---charliezap
07-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Rense and the other winners! I wouldn't want the judge's job.
07-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #7

Thanks for the "Honorable Mention" and lots of congrats to the winners...

07-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, thank you Charlie! Concrats to the other winners and all the participants, I very much liked the entries!

I will think about a new contest... The burden of the winner, I suppose...
07-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congrats Rense! I knew when I saw yours the game was up for the rest of us. Very provocative image!
07-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Rense, great image, also to Dave and Mblanc! Excellent Challenge Charlie!
07-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Congrats to all and to Rense a special thanks for bringing the history and beauty of Slovenia to the Weekly Challenge in B/W. Great images this week!
07-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Enjoyed all the shots this week. Well done all and Charlie for judging.
Now waiting for Rense's theme.
07-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also add my congratulations to the winners and thanks to Charlie for a great theme. Looking forward to the next one.
07-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all, and thanks to Charlie for the excellent theme.