Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Weekly Challenge #292 - Ordinary Miracles
Posted By: Rense, 07-20-2014, 03:23 AM

When I was a boy, I was addicted to a book series, titled (in Dutch) "Wonder van het Gewone", which translates literally as "Miracle of the Ordinary". It was all about natural history, and we wonders we can see in the ordinary things surrounding us. It was the first thing that came in mind when I had to decide on a new theme for the weekly challenge, and after I slept a night, the idea is still there.... So be it: show me your ordinary miracles! And of course you don't have to stick with natural history wonders, there are many unexpected things around us which can leave us in awe!

The challenge will run until midnight my time (Central European) Sunday July 27th.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Some examples from me

Last edited by Rense; 07-20-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Views: 4,187
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Came across these two this afternoon: they are Common Blues (Polyommatus icarus) at Aston Rowant nature reserve in Oxfordshire. Beautifully marked, delicate creatures and so small as they balance on a seed head. I used my K5 and the D-FA 100mm f2.8 macro.

oxford-1-240714

--

Last edited by mecrox; 07-27-2014 at 04:48 PM.
07-25-2014, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After several days of near cyclone weather on a recent cruise in the South Pacific, to be greeted with sunrise like this felt like a miracle. Of course the sun rises every day but this one was special.

07-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This would qualify as a little miracle to me-a one legged Water Thick Knee, that I have watched, first being raised by its parents, and then gaining full independence. Besides the normal dangers of life, the retirement village where it mostly resides has its fair share of cats and dogs, making its survival a miracle. When it was young, on approaching the birds, frantic screaming and hopping would result, and the parents playing the "injured wing" trick to distract would be predators away from the chick. Even life as an adult is not without its struggles- the bird will only fly if it is really necessary. It makes no noise when approached, still hoping its excellent camouflage will work.
07-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My entry is a tribute to an ordinary miracle that we all hold dear—photography itself. The fact that we can capture a scene onto paper, or now a digital file, to save the moment essentially forever is something with which we are oh so familiar, but which is truly remarkable in the scope of our history.

Here my aunt is looking through a book filled with the ordinary miracle of decades-old photographs. And for me this photo is itself such a miracle that I will keep of her.

Memories
by pentaximus, on Flickr

07-27-2014, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Babies are born every day, I can think of nothing that more defines an ordinary miracle. And in my recent history nothing has been more miraculous than the birth of my two granddaughters 26 days apart. This isn't going to be the best example of photographic skill in this thread, but is my ordinary miracle.
The picture was taken a couple of weeks ago with my K-3 and the Sigma 17-70 mm zoom. Ophelia on the left is just over 21 months, Juliette on the right is just short of 21 months.
<edit> Heck, it was an ordinary miracle to get them sitting still long enough to take the picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This one is closed. I will judge your contris as quickly as possible, which won't be an easy task...
Well done all!!!
07-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
Babies are born every day, I can think of nothing that more defines an ordinary miracle. And in my recent history nothing has been more miraculous than the birth of my two granddaughters 26 days apart. This isn't going to be the best example of photographic skill in this thread, but is my ordinary miracle.
The picture was taken a couple of weeks ago with my K-3 and the Sigma 17-70 mm zoom. Ophelia on the left is just over 21 months, Juliette on the right is just short of 21 months.
<edit> Heck, it was an ordinary miracle to get them sitting still long enough to take the picture.
What a good thing I am not the Judge on this one- they are soooo cuuute! On that alone I would probably have given it the nod!

07-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dear friends, I got a PM of Tess with the question if this one slipped my mind. And yes, it did... So sorry, but I will judge it tonight!
07-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This challenge is closed and the winner is published in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/269319-weekly...-miracles.html