Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
52-6-27: Wide Angle WINNERS!!!
Posted By: jmschrei, 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Sorry for the delay judging but I am glad to see a few more entries make it in. I am a wide angle shooter by nature. Apart from my Tamron 90 I rarely go beyond 50mm and even that's a tight fit for a whole month like a Single In challenge.

mtux - Excellent use of the DA 21. Playing with the angle like this is especially effective for street shots.

patrick9 - nice example of using the wide angle for a close nature shot.

Bill2849 - the perspective with the deep lawn and the buildings along each side works very nicely but I would have zoomed in a little closer to maybe 20 or 21mm to avoid the curb in the front (or crop of course).

scomatic - welcome to the wider end of photography. You will learn that great skies love a wide angle. The haze is important but your composition to make most of the sky is excellent.

Rolls Up - Gorgeous! This is a wonderful example of a what a wide angle can do (of course the scenery helps - I would love to go northern Canada someday). This is also the type of situation where having the horizon in the centre works)

noelcmn - Another great entry. What makes a distant landscape or cityscape like this work is the detail and interest in the foreground.

jcdoss - A completely different take and super effective. Wide angle close ups create a nice vignette - but you do have to get quite close sometimes.

And now for the winners:

Third: mtux, a master of the DA 21.
Second: jcdoss, although I might have wanted the cappucino a little more to the left, I love the intimacy of this tasty little scene.
First and next week's judge: Rolls Up for his brilliant landscape.

Congratulations to everyone!
Views: 1,260
08-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Rolls up on the win also jcdoss and Mtux on placing . Thanks jmschrei on the comments and judging
08-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks Joe, for comments, judgment and third place. I was looking for a shot while walking in that area, when the wife said "hey, the evening market is today.", I knew there's a shot for DA21 in any market.
Congrats RollsUp and Jcdoss.
08-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrate everyone.... Lucky my newly brought 4.99USD full manual lens still able to get average comment.

08-26-2014, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Congrate everyone.... Lucky my newly brought 4.99USD full manual lens still able to get average comment.
Don't be hard on yourself. I tried to draw attention to the varieties of wide angle usage because I know you are new to your lens. When I was new to the forum I forced myself to take part in an entire year of Project 52 (year 3 I think) and I produced some miserable efforts but it forced me to at least try things outside my comfort zone like street shooting or still life. Another idea for your new wide friend is to think tall rather wide.
08-26-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't argue with that choice, its excellent, Congratulations RollsUp, I agree with the Judges comment that the central horizon works very well here. Great stuff. Congrats too to Mtux and Jcdoss,. Great entries here, and thanks to Joe for all the judging duties. Now to go vanishing.
08-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Don't be hard on yourself. I tried to draw attention to the varieties of wide angle usage because I know you are new to your lens. When I was new to the forum I forced myself to take part in an entire year of Project 52 (year 3 I think) and I produced some miserable efforts but it forced me to at least try things outside my comfort zone like street shooting or still life. Another idea for your new wide friend is to think tall rather wide.
thanks for the guidance...

08-26-2014, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Joe for the comments and the judging. Congratulations Rolls Up for your stunning photo and to jcdoss and mtux for placing. And congratulations Scomatic for your new lens arriving in the nick of time. Hope it provides you with many fine photos.
08-26-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Rolls Up for the win, mtux for placing, scomatic for obtaining a wide lens just for this challenge on short notice, to jmschrei for judging, and everyone for participating!
08-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Thanks for picking my image as the winner, jmshrei. Congratulations to the runners up. Great job in judging also, jmshrei.