Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Potw10
Posted By: roentarre, 05-12-2008, 06:13 AM

Gawan has asked me to be the host this coming week. Sorry about the delay in posting this as I had spent 14 hours straight in working til now.

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favourite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days May 12th to May 19th
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Here is my shot this week.

Views: 20,676
05-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Toronto Eaton Centre

DA21 F4 1/60 (could have used more DOF)

05-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wayne, seriously your shots are really winners! The scaling of outer coat is the one that does for me. I am soooooo envious of this shot you managed to capture. Very jealous! Great post!

Thank you. This compliment means a lot coming from you.
05-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Kim, I am so proud of you! I haven't been here that long on this forum. But in the time Ihave been here your macro photography has really really matured

Alan, I so love that wall with the little plant growing out of it! what a cool pic

KiooD, that is an interesting pic
05-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #109
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few more bird attempts

I only got a couple of try's at this guy and he wouldn't turn to face me. You guys would have had a chuckle over this one. I was driving home after work and decided to go to this area I'd been to a few days earlier in an industrial park. There was a fox in a field there. So I'm out today, suit and tie with the camera looking to see if the fox was there. The canary was in a tree and I tried to approach slowly then grabbed 3 shots before he and another one flew further into the field. I chased them from tree to tree for 30 minutes but never got close enough for another shot.

05-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #110
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had a chance to go back through this thread. Holy cow! what a difference since the early days of this forum. everyone has really been getting some great work. dws1117, I don't want to single out anyone but that butterfly and especially the lizard shot are excellent. well done! Love the bluejay and what is that a beaver (I'm a canuck and I should know but the colour is much lighter than the ones we have)?

Rosemary, I like the artistic flower shot, interesting approach. The Chalice shot is a stunner. I love the colour and texture. Hard to get original flower shots but this one is.

Eaglerapids, you and me both buddy, we'll have some leaves on the trees in a week or so. Nice shot.

Dave, nice flower shots, great colour and very nice and sharp. The bird shots are so tough and I'm not a machine gun shooter but I have way more throw aways doing this than any other type of shot. Loved the old truck.

Dave K, I like it and the bokeh isn't bad at all IMO. hell only we'd notice anyway...

Jester. Well captured. Do I hear a Bigma coming your way some day?

CycloneBandDad, Congrats in the warmest possible way. It's a heck of a big deal to have your son follow this path rather than all the other poor choices so many take. A credit to your parenting. Again congrats to you both.

ftpaddict. Good shot. excellent colour and sharpness.

Woof, beautiful shot. One that will be viewed more than many others you have for years to come I bet. I like the soft look to it. If it was crisp and super sharp, it would really not work nearly as well.

Lance, making good use of that gear. Congrats on that Btw. Great shot of the oprea house. Nicely composed but the winner is the kid shot. great expression and capture.

Dale, fun shot and well taken, great colour.

dantuyhoa, I'm not sure what that 1st one is - mechanical dragonfly? Like the coffe shop sign and the B&W rose. great stuff!
Nice stuff Kim, The 2nd works best.

maxwell1295, I like it, both the shot and the PP work. Cool perspective.

georgweb, they look like they enjoyed it, maybe a little WB adjustment would help.

Smf. beautiful shot, maybe pump up the contrast/levels a bit and give it a bit more punch.

K100D, great spot to shoot. looks very good. I might try to meet some of you guys for a beer this summer, I'll be there around Canada day.
05-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Indeed a record setting POTW some stunning photo’s....Thanks to all who commented on my humble submissions....

Dave k - There is nothing wrong with that dragon fly shot. Short of a full wing span ad having him do the Charleston I don't think there is much room for improvement.

Jester - it does have a 3D look to it, well done

Jim - what Peter said - congrats on your son entering a new phase in life. Well done.

ftpaddict - nice angle on the car - only flaw I see if some dirt or a bug of sorts on the fender.

woof - now that is a treasured memory great capture.

Rosemary - I like the framing, undecided on the actual picture if I like that PP but it is all subjective and it is a creative shot

Eaglerapids - I hear that! I have a tree in the back yard with some of the same - and a few bushes that are still sticks. soooooooooooon

LanceB - I like #1 the framing is very good. The last one really captures the essence of innocence and wonderment -well done. Again congrats on the 'LBA' reward you are putting it to great use.

Dale - nice shot is that an isolated beach or did you just get there early? well done

Wayne - wow what can I say? Tack sharp Butterfly, Lizard and beaver. Was there any PP done or are those right out of the K20D - you are making me consider that camera sooner than later. were those taken with your Tamron ? Outstanding.

Tran - nice series I like the spider web the best. Although the mechanical dragon fly is unique.

Kim - wow #2 is stunning - have a great weekend.

Alan (and here I have been calling you Max - just call me the Chief ha-ha) - I like this shot - I am a fan of out of the box shots for sure.

Georg (the other) - interesting photo in difficult conditions.

smf - great framing and a nice shot. Looks a tad soft but well done.

k100d - nice urban shot - we have one of those in downtown Edmonton - will have to have an Eaton Center Shoot off one day

Peter - the suited woodsman. Do the birds respect a well sharp dresseed photographer ha-ha - #1 is great - with the white background metering can be difficult. #2 looks like it was a little windy and to me looks a little softer than #1. Just starting to shoot birds , I hear ya on the success rate. There are about 3 or 4 I have I really like don't dare work out the keeper percentage but hey its fun learning.
05-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
[...]only flaw I see if some dirt or a bug of sorts on the fender.

I only noticed that when I got home and downloaded the images. Too late to fix it now.

05-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Beauty :

Do I love you because you're beautiful,
Or are you beautiful because I love you?

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II
05-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #114
Veteran Member

So many photos and the comments are spot on so I won't repeat them .

IMHO , Wayne (dws117) stole the show with his many wonderful images in a variety !

Kim and Rosemary are getting quite well with their images . Knowing that Kim are using her "cheapo 25 " , I'm absolutely impressed !

Peter : I can help but LOL : Suit and birding ? I can see you're getting the hand of your new Star lens .

James : Thanks . I used the Vivitar 105/2.5 for that photo . Very difficult to shoot indeed . I won't tell you how many shots I did before that one hahaha .

ftpaddict ( Dan ) : Nice capture . I always have a soft spot for cars . What model is that ?

Dave (daacon ) : You got the 55-300 already ? Look like a keeper !

Georg (gawan ) : Great model shots . I thought it was the real thing at first !

Gotta run . Thanks folks .
05-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #115
Veteran Member

This weeks potw really is braking records, glad you took the host James!

Alan, I like your "A Weed Grows in Brooklyn" picture as it sets an interesting contrast. Nice red!

Peter, the light and subbtle background in the bird pics (specially the first one) is absolutely refreshing and sets an unusual mood!

dantuyhoa, wonderful colours in your latest and a superb bokeh! And thanks for the comment!

georgweb, thanks for the weekend wish, nice moment you have captured ("two witty men")!

So here are some flowers to congratulate you all!

05-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Indeed a record setting POTW some stunning photo’s....Thanks to all who commented on my humble submissions....

Wayne - wow what can I say? Tack sharp Butterfly, Lizard and beaver. Was there any PP done or are those right out of the K20D - you are making me consider that camera sooner than later. were those taken with your Tamron ? Outstanding.
Thanks Dave and everyone for the very nice compliments. Sometimes you get lucky and this was one of those weeks.

By the way, for our neighbors to the north, that is not a beaver, but the southern version called a nutria and sometimes a nutria rat. It is very similar to a beaver minus the flat tail. It is a large rodent.

The camera is the K200. Wish I could afford the K20 but I would be killed by the boss for even thinking it. Such is life. Only PP on all of them was a little brightening/contrast adjustment and slight noise reduction. Yes the Tamron surprises me more and more each time.
05-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Congrats all ... and thanks again for any comments directed my way ... Love this thread and well taking pictures in General

My ending to the week ....

Click on Image for larger view

My Buddy with a nest nearby I got a couple opportunities a day to shoot 'em with
various lens - this time the Sigma 105

The beginnings of a wasp nest - Need to hit Canadian Tire tomorrow to get some spray ..

and of course the Sigma 105 is a macro lens ......
05-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Very nice Dave. Glad to see that your finally getting some flowers bloomin instead of snow fallin.

Have a good night all off to work again. The Opera is callin.
05-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Thanks to James for hosting a wonderful week !

Georg ( gawan ) : Thank you for your kind words and for hosting last week .

Good job from all .

Tran
05-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #120
Veteran Member

wow, this thread is full of so many great photos. good work to everyone!

k100d - nice urban shot - we have one of those in downtown Edmonton - will have to have an Eaton Center Shoot off one day
i went to West Edmonton Mall many many years ago but didn't have a camera back then would be interesting to see what it looks like now. the Eaton Centre is a great place for photos because of the different floors and the skylight

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
K100D, great spot to shoot. looks very good. I might try to meet some of you guys for a beer this summer, I'll be there around Canada day.
thanks Peter, just put up a shoutout before you head to Toronto, there are plenty of forum members here