Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#298 - Experiential Photography
Posted By: tessfully, 09-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Thanks LarsW for last weeks challenge! And thanks too for selecting my image among that great line-up.

This week let's try experiential (or experimental) photography.

I love to try new things with my camera (at least new to me) when I am feeling stale. It becomes an adventure in the taking with often surprising strange surreal cool unexpected beautiful ugly results.

There are in-camera settings to experiment with, always fun to mess up my camera till I can find the manual to fix my fiddling.

Also camera usage techniques like extended exposure, focus, EV and flash, camera movement, camera angle, etc. I once spent a whole afternoon running through the snowy woods while depressing the shutter (had to lower the ev and set for a long exposure). I got some real cool forest abstracts.

Funky fish eye or real old lenses can have cool results.

Creative use of subjects, like my series of freezing things in bubbly water and then photographing the subject as the ice melts away. Oil slicks, glassware, frost, veins, rust, the night forest, the dark ally… all open themselves up to interpretation.

Post processing to enhance the strange beautiful ugly nature of your image, and/or special effects like b & w, select colour, contrast and saturation, etc.

And then there is the accidental experiment. Oops. Wow.

Samples:

This is a simple one... reflections of the forest and cliffs on the iced over lake. Image flipped.

Here I am standing inside the canopy of the tree and finding a focus in the distance

I call this one Zoom Zoom Zoom

So much fun!! Now I'm all revved up to go out and try something new today!!! Of course your photo can be from any time frame as long as you are using a Pentax/Samsung camera.

P.S. If you feel so inclined, I would love to know what you did to create your image. Thanks!!!

The fine print:

The Challenge will run until midnight next Monday, September 15th, 2014

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.
Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by tessfully; 09-09-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Views: 4,156
09-09-2014, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is a tough topic for me, as I don't do a lot of experimentation with my camera. My biggest experiment was when I bought a used DA 10-17mm. It only took a few months before I discovered that it really didn't fit my shooting style. However, I did get a couple of keepers that were surprising.

While the beams in this barn have an interesting fish-eye look, the little girl walking into the picture gave it a perspective that it was lacking.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 09-09-2014 at 09:10 AM.
09-09-2014, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Some midges over a river bank. What caught my eye was that the little white dots appeared to be strobing - for a moment I thought that I was seeing things. It must have been sunlightlight reflecting off their wings. Very interesting.

My Physics training kicks in though - at 1/30 you get about five flaps captured, so the little things must be flapping their wings at some 150 Hz. No wonder that they don't live long ...
09-10-2014, 05:38 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
love this time of year, late summer (or as me say here, summah)... just purchased some potted mulit-color mums...
beautiful, but even so was bored with my usual macro or otherwise snaps... just let my mind wander a bit and edited
through ribbet with a few tweaks and just happened to try the invert option, and voila....

09-10-2014, 03:44 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Zooming during a long exposure.
09-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This is going to be a tricky one to judge - a case of 'like most' as opposed to 'best'!!!
Good luck Tess.
09-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Absolutely loving the entries so far!! Arjay, I always hate the "picking" part, but seriously enjoy engaging with each image on its own merits. Already my mind has expanded.

Lots of time left. Come on folks, show us what you can do!

09-11-2014, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Long exposure, with flash. Popped a cheap off-camera flash on the left and right side of the building. F/8 @ 30 secs. A flash with a higher GN/shorter recycling would help to get more pops within the shutter time for larger buildings.

09-11-2014, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter

Experimenting and having fun.

A great topic Tess.I always liked the shots by those who captured falling drops and decided to experiment and give it a try several months ago. The golf ball dropping into the roasting pan was my first foray into this type of photography.The sequence in the collage shows the ball just millimeters from hitting the water and the others are self explanatory.Days later I tried it with falling drops into a glass on my quartz counter top that picked up the flash with an eerie color transmitted to the water.The 2nd shot by the way is my official entry to the challenge. The flash was set on the lowest setting which gave the shortest duration 1/25,000 sec and to my amazement it kept firing when the K5 was set to burst mode of several shots per second.To me this was an experiment that worked out well. It does open the doors for similar shots in the future.--charliezap
Name:  exp 1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  185.5 KB

Name:  vig6.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  162.1 KB
09-11-2014, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Sky is too bright, and try to shot with hand shading, but who know the effect became like this... And i try again few snap, no... it not get it... wondering how it capture too...
09-12-2014, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the umbrella removed this was shot through the hole for the umbrella in the glass topped table on our deck. What you see is the cross-members of the table and the iron base for the umbrella when it is in place. I post-processed it initially in LR for exposure control, toning, etc. I then edited it in HDR Efex Pro to do the special effects. For an experiment I like the way it came out. Don't know that I would have normally posted it, but this is a thread for experiments isn't it. I don't expect it to stand up well against some of the images in this thread, but the week was waning and I had produced nothing new.
Attached Images

09-12-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I just like the colour

09-13-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

enjoying the K3- sooc.
09-13-2014, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wanted to celebrate a clear running drain after our kitchen sink was blocked and unusable for almost a month. Resolving it was a huge mystery even for the very patient and creative plumber due to the age of my home and the renovations over the years which concealed the fact that the drain did not proceed in the manner expected. I am not very gifted at this sort of creative water work but I am thrilled with the way this came out (and the joy it preserves - 5 days before Christmas and finally we could use the kitchen sink and dishwasher!)

09-14-2014, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a lovely challenge Tess, getting us all out of our comfort zones. Lovely stuff here. Hope you don't mind me posting a few, just to give an idea of how I arrived at my entry. During my participation in the Singles In challenge, and a particularly bored day for ideas, I took some shots through a beer glass, just for fun. Justput the lens into the glass and shot away a couple of shots I quite liked it.

So when I saw this challenge, I thought I would revisit that idea and these are some of the results-none of them my official entry- Same idea, lens in the glass-hand held, @ Zoo Lake.

Taken through this glass

This is my official entry- Glass patterns

Except this was taken with this glass, plus a bit-Ok a lot of PP.

If you let me win, I promise I'll send you a cyber beer-or coke