Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
#298 - Experiential Photography
Posted By: tessfully, 09-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Thanks LarsW for last weeks challenge! And thanks too for selecting my image among that great line-up.

This week let's try experiential (or experimental) photography.

I love to try new things with my camera (at least new to me) when I am feeling stale. It becomes an adventure in the taking with often surprising strange surreal cool unexpected beautiful ugly results.

There are in-camera settings to experiment with, always fun to mess up my camera till I can find the manual to fix my fiddling.

Also camera usage techniques like extended exposure, focus, EV and flash, camera movement, camera angle, etc. I once spent a whole afternoon running through the snowy woods while depressing the shutter (had to lower the ev and set for a long exposure). I got some real cool forest abstracts.

Funky fish eye or real old lenses can have cool results.

Creative use of subjects, like my series of freezing things in bubbly water and then photographing the subject as the ice melts away. Oil slicks, glassware, frost, veins, rust, the night forest, the dark ally… all open themselves up to interpretation.

Post processing to enhance the strange beautiful ugly nature of your image, and/or special effects like b & w, select colour, contrast and saturation, etc.

And then there is the accidental experiment. Oops. Wow.

Samples:

This is a simple one... reflections of the forest and cliffs on the iced over lake. Image flipped.

Here I am standing inside the canopy of the tree and finding a focus in the distance

I call this one Zoom Zoom Zoom

So much fun!! Now I'm all revved up to go out and try something new today!!! Of course your photo can be from any time frame as long as you are using a Pentax/Samsung camera.

P.S. If you feel so inclined, I would love to know what you did to create your image. Thanks!!!

The fine print:

The Challenge will run until midnight next Monday, September 15th, 2014

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.
Everyone is eligible to send in their best interpretation of the given theme, as long as the photo is taken with a Pentax/Samsung camera. Themes can be subject-oriented or technique-oriented.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Last edited by tessfully; 09-09-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Views: 4,163
09-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Terrific entries!! Still time for more. Contest closes tonight --- midnight in Canada.

09-15-2014, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Took this in a patch of wildflowers by swinging the camera with timer, using my K-x with Pentax M 28mm f2.8, ISO 400, 1/6 sec.
Thought it caught the green onrush of Spring very nicely.

BTW, here's another photo from the same shooting session to give you an idea of the greenery in question:

Last edited by Bill2849; 09-15-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: add an additional note.
09-15-2014, 09:44 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

This was my first animated gif, so it was an experiment for me. The results aren't perfect -- shooting in M mode would have prevented light-level flickering. That said, it resulted in me getting the bug to do more with animated imagery.
09-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one is closed. I am really overwhelmed by the awesome entries, and in a complete conundrum concerning which to select as top photo. I will deliberate with my many selves and hopefully post results this afternoon. Thanks for sharing your great works of experiencial art everyone!

09-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really great entries everyone and excellent topic Tess!
09-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Casil! The entries as so amazing I am at a loss to select an overall favourite. . But, I am almost there with the judging. Work has got in the way. Sorry for the delay.
09-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should announce that the winners have been posted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/273325-weekly...otography.html