Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - 298 Experiential Photography
Posted By: tessfully, 09-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Sorry for the delay, work has interfered with my computer time. This has been very difficult, considering how much fun it is. As of writing I still don’t know who should host next week. Thank you one and all for entering and for making my life difficult.

Tim/atupdate – child in the barn - In terms of perspective and appeal this is a dramatic & beautiful image. I can imagine it large on a cathedral wall, tall, looming; while looking up into the image I would feel, as the child, right inside the barn. I think it belongs on a cathedral wall. This is a special portrait conveying a sense of place and wonder.

Karel/KH – midges over a river bank - A really cool and interesting display of life from an unusual perspective – the perspective of light and movement. Astute awareness on your part to see this in all its fascinations. There is an abundance of energy flickering at the speed of light across this happy abstract.

Dave/dcmsox – mums - The multi coloured mums took my breath away! The colours pop and there is height and depth to the image that holds my attention. Truly appealing and exciting results!

Gifthorse, - antique car - Wow! Spectacular gold and silver sparkly zoom. Perfectly balanced, creating an energetic field that pulls us into an otherwise stationary subject. As an antique, the car adds charm to the shot. Best Auto Image Ever.

Special K, - Observatory - There is so much I love about your photo… you have captured the passage of time… moments fixed at various points of entry and exit. The fact that your canvas is the Griffith Observatory adds another element of intellectual interest. Intriguing image to engage with on so many levels.

Charlie, That third golf ball in the collage is beyond cool! The patterns in the water fascinate me. I start to see strange beings and a galaxy of amazing shapes. Movement solidified. Your actual entry is gorgeous. Love the colours, flow and texture. The rise of water seeming to hold up the circling orb. Really really really cool and yes, fun!

Scomatic, The red flowers are stunning, juxtaposed by the big sky. Using your hand to shade the direct sun worked out very well, and I like the arc of the branch, and the reaching flowers. Not sure how high up that branch is, but if at all possible I would have pulled the shaded branches away from the scene. They seem to be in the foreground closer to you and they are a bit distracting. Pretty shot, nonetheless.

Catscradle - umbrella holder - The moment I saw this I was intrigued. I think you undervalue the appeal of the outcome. The idea is brilliantly unique, your execution perfect, and the post processing turned it into a work of art. What else can I say except that I am inspired to try something similar.

Norm/normhead, - fungi- I too love the complementary colours of this shot. I also love the balance and flow of the composition, the zoom adding depth and movement to an otherwise very slow … stationary … subject! Beautiful.

Arjay Bee, - lamp light night shot - great night shot and really clean result for straight out of camera. The camera picked up the last of the sunset and your use of available light worked out very well. The K-3 and your skill with the settings produced a great image. Was this RAW or Jpeg?

Joe/jmschrei – Two Forks - I absolutely adore the attractive tint of this image. The depth of field is spot on and the composition, with the water droplets flinging out of the frame, makes this shot dynamic.

Noel – A totally awesome process – one that I relate to completely. I love the distorted realities caused by the glass in your first three shots, especially the third. It is like a ring of ice cubes… so cool. Your entry is beautiful. Beautiful colour, lovely leaf distortion, dynamic in its display. I don’t usually suggest things, but I wonder what this circular subject would look like in a square frame? I guess if it was shot 2-3 you might lose bits you like, but losing the vignette and centering the centre may be an occasion to break the rules.

Bill – green onrush – Your image is totally inspiring to me! Imagine swinging the camera and producing such a lush abstract. The subtle contrasts and sway of striations are so appealing, as are the tones. It really is a beautiful peaceful meditative image. Again, I don’t usually suggest things but when I opened this up large I could see dust spots from your sensor. I know from trying these types of shots that the slow shutter speed allows the tiniest speck to show up and it takes a lot to time to clone them out in a way that’s not noticeable. But, swinging the camera and getting a result like this is absolutely brilliant.

K-David, animated gif – dynamic result and great outcome for your first experiment. When I stare into the animation the changing colour and spinning motion takes my vision for a ride!!! Whoa!

Okay… well, everyone is a winner. Thanks for participating!

In terms of inspiring unique experiential experimental fun with the camera I would have to give the prize to Bill, Charlie and Noel.

In terms of astute awareness to ones dynamic surroundings I would have to call upon Karl.

In terms of using mundane objects and appealing experimental post processing I would have to pick catscradle’s umbrella base.

In terms of an image that speaks to me emotionally, I would have no choice but to select Tim’s little girl in the barn.

In terms of who wins this week … it has been a struggle as there are four that have followed me around, even when the computer is off …

HM -- Dave’s Mums

3rd -- Gifthorse's Antique Car

2nd -- Joe’s Forks

First ---- Special K's Observatory -- I finally selected this image as I find it not just creative and visually appealing, but it also has philosophical implications that I really enjoy pondering, which brings a whole other level of experiential into the mix.

Views: 1,626
09-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work on such a tall order. Thank you for #2 (the best spot to be in, IMHO) and congratulations to all the other winners and participants. And I completely agree with your first place - Special K's shot works on so many levels.
09-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a fascinating contest Tess, and producing wonderful images here, and you have chosen the right one here. Congratulations SpecialK, awesome shot. Those spooks make the shot! Congrats too Joe, Gifthorse and Dave. Nice one Tess, I feel you pain, but you triumphed in the judging department. Great stuff everyone.
09-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First of all, congratulations to SpecialK. It is an interesting image.

Secondly, and no less important, Tessfully thank you so much for going the extra yard and including all the individual comments you did.

09-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well, thanks! No-one is more surprised than I....

(The people inside are looking at the foucault pendulum...)

I love the observatory. Once a month, from about 2-9PM, there is a "star party" on the grass and you can use some amateur telescopes to look at whatever is in the sky. 20 minutes up the fire-road leads you to this view of LA.

I will try to have something up tomorrow night. Thanks again!
09-18-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Congratulations to SpecialK and all the other winners. Thanks Tess for a interesting subject and the comments.

Tim
09-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Good choice on the judging, Tess. Lots of winners in their own ways.

Now to next theme....

09-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Great job SpecialK and the other finalists.Super job of judging and commentary by Tess.--charliezap