Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winner!!! Project 52-6-36-shutter speed-slow
Posted By: scomatic, 10-27-2014, 07:37 AM

Another weeks of challenge is come to close, but our mighty group still keep moving this challenge forward. Anyway... thanks guy for joining such an amazing challenge, i hope to see we can recruit more in next challenge.

Ok... let's back to this topic, and it's all about using slow shutter speed. The tricky part is having a steady hand to prevent camera shake. To record movement in a photo, it is best to use a tripod or set your camera down on a steady and reliable surface.

I’d love to see what you’ve done so far~ Let's see what the result will be for this weeks...

Tessfully You shot is way fantastic, the smooth render & reflection of water really stand up.
Exposure Focus/sharpness: 10/10
Colour and/or tonal rendition: 9/10
Contrast: 9/10
Background: 7/10
Framing and choice of viewpoint: 8/10
Interest: 8/10
Relevance: 10/10
Overall: 8.71 /10

mattb123 You entered with a disqualified photo, due to the photo was taken on 25th September 2014. BTW... if you really this week taken, then this weeks you might be a first place perhaps. I like the way of the river, and sky, it way too smooth. Excellent!
Colour and/or tonal rendition: 10/10
Background: 9/10
Interest: 8/10
Relevance: 9/10
Overall: 9 /10

Bill2849 This photo didn't speak to me at all. It way... normal. Nothing special. (Sorry if this hurt u)
Exposure Focus/sharpness: 9/10
Colour and/or tonal rendition: 8/10
Contrast: 8/10
Background: 3/10
Framing and choice of viewpoint: 2/10
Interest: 3/10
Relevance: 8/10
Overall: 5.86 /10

mtux You photo really make me dizzy! I stop & view at your photo in very detail for more than 30 sec, I was started to dizzy. BTW how you snap the photo while u spinning, and you in photo so clearly. Amazing!
Background: 9/10
Framing and choice of viewpoint: 6/10
Interest: 7/10
Overall: 8.43 /10

patrick9 Another classical of using slow shutter speed in shooting the water landscape... Your broken tripod doesn't affect your photo at all. Well balance it... If you able to shoot it longer shuttle speed, i think the picture will be more awesome. How your tripod now? Time to get Gitzo...
Exposure Focus/sharpness: 8/10
Contrast: 8/10
Background: 8/10
Interest: 7/10
Overall: 8.14 /10

noelcmn Why you say your shuttle speed is disqualified? I don't think so... But anyway... sorry to say your photo is not speaking to me either, nothing special. (Sorry if this hurt u)
Exposure Focus/sharpness: 6/10
Colour and/or tonal rendition: 6/10
Contrast: 6/10
Background: 3/10
Framing and choice of viewpoint: 3/10
Interest: 3/10
Relevance: 7/10
Overall: 4.86 /10

jcdoss Arrggg.... Run.... Ghooossssttt!!! Scary!!! Ok... Back to topic... We are in month of Halloween, and well use of this theme challenge to make this photo of the week. Well... Overall I like your ideals, and the picture too. Btw... your shot more toward bulb mode, and you combine it well. Simple and awesome. Anyway... how u jump in the shoot in last second? Vertically stand up?
Exposure Focus/sharpness: 9/10
Background: 7/10
Interest: 9/10
Overall: 8.57 /10

Nice job everyone, but somebody's gotta win. Without further ado...

#Honourable mention: patrick9

#3rd: mtux

#2nd: jcdoss

#1st: tessfully

Fuh... lucky this week my camera Pentax K-X was in servicing, or else i gonna miss in this week.

Last edited by scomatic; 10-27-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Re-update the way of judgement
Views: 2,027
10-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for the mix up on my part! Beautiful photo tessfully. Congratulations!
10-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, a clear winner there Tess- Congrats- a lovely evocative pic-would love to be there! And extended to the other podium places-Mtux and Dcdoss. Thanks Scomatic-wow you are sharp with your judging and comments. No sweat, you should not worry about "hurting" peoples feelings-this is an open Forum, plus a competition where such comments are to be expected. In any event, Great stuff guys.
Overcast on my first day in the Kruger Park-no chance for a bulb exposure-yet!
10-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for judging ,the comments and for the honorable mention. My tripod has lost a non-replaceable bushing making it non to steady. I am hoping for a new one for Christmas.
Congratulations Tess on the win, and also to Mtux and JC on the podium places. That was a nice shot Matt

10-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to Tess, Mtux, JCDoss, and Patrick for your photos. And thanks Matt for sharing youuru beautiful photo as well.

Thank you Scomatic for your comments and judging. I think that your comments were generally well taken, although I did wonder about your comment about JC's use of Bulb Mode (since I would expect that pretty much anything shot in Bulb mode would be an example of slow shutter speed). But I have no objection to your judging choices.
10-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill2849 Quote
I did wonder about your comment about JC's use of Bulb Mode (since I would expect that pretty much anything shot in Bulb mode would be an example of slow shutter speed).
Hi Bill... actually i didn't disqualified Jcdoss due to using bulb mode, because bulb mode still considerable as slow shutter speed too. But thinking in term of technic as partially judging point, it seem slightly different. Another point is noel did mention, next week is bulb mode challenge. So... I did judge something that straight forward. Sorry...

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 09:50 AM ----------

Hi all,
Re-update on the judgement there, and this is how I judge for the week. Let comment me please... thanks... Hi, anyone can stand up help comment on my photo?

Last edited by scomatic; 10-27-2014 at 07:12 PM.
10-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks scomatic for judging, and congrats to Tess and mtux for placing, and to everyone for participating! I don't know where you got that I used bulb mode... I was using Tv with a shutter speed of 2.5 seconds. Cheers!

10-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Thanks scomatic for judging, and congrats to Tess and mtux for placing, and to everyone for participating! I don't know where you got that I used bulb mode... I was using Tv with a shutter speed of 2.5 seconds. Cheers!
Really? Ermm... i though of u using remote as in bulb mode. Now I reedit my score here. sorry dude!
10-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, Scomatic, you've done a great job on a very detailed judgment.
Congrats to Tess for such a nice autumn shot. I love those reflected lines in water worked very well as leading lines into the photo.
Congrats to JC and Patrick too.

My comment on your photo Scomatic:
I like the contrast between blue and yellows.
And in long exposures you should watch for blown highlights. and you photo is suffering from them.
10-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I agree with mtux, except I don't find the blown highlights to be a big problem in this composition.
10-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Wow, Scomatic, you've done a great job on a very detailed judgment.

I very much agree with Mtux here.

I think your photo is very nice but I do think it would be nicer without the blown out highlights in the clouds (especially in the area surrounded by the yellow aura).
10-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
mtux
jcdoss
Bill2849

thanks for comment ya. I think it's time to invest the ND Filter...
10-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am with Bill and Mtux on your photo. A nice shot but it could be better with blown sky toned down a bit.
I think you will enjoy a good ND filter.
10-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for the honour this week Scomatic. And congratulations mtux and jcdoss for placing. Scomatic, awesome job judging! Now for bulb mode. I am not a good judge of bulb mode as I don't even know what it is... better do some reading and experimenting.
10-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Thank you so much for the honour this week Scomatic. And congratulations mtux and jcdoss for placing. Scomatic, awesome job judging! Now for bulb mode. I am not a good judge of bulb mode as I don't even know what it is... better do some reading and experimenting.
try your best ya.. we supporting u...