Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners-#306-Grain
Posted By: lukulele, 11-27-2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks to all for entering and for the multiple interpretations of your images. I must say that a few images took a lot of enlargement to see photographic grain(noise) in their entries. Here are a few notes on each…..

Daacon- After I enlarged x2 the grain was evident and the star movement as well. Would like to see a bit more horizon and the two upper right palm fronds cropped. Nice sky color.

atupdate- I remember this post and the visible grain is very effective as is the sepia. A very close homage to the great Lewis Hine and early 20th century American labor conditions.

jayjay- Anytime I see a scooter image, I think of the film "Diva" and the go anywhere, anytime concept of really personal transportation. I might have considered a vertical crop midway to eliminate the OOF
security fence.

wolvesrule-Lunar grain, a good interpretation.

StephenHampshire-a true multiple, grain, grain-like texture, and directional emphasis lighting to highlight both.

Murfy- An excellent use of larger grain texture to create mood. Might suggest a little rotation to align bottom and right edges.

elpolodiablo- Grain, contrast, texture, composition, mood, and an undetermined destination.

charliezap-Snow, wind, iffy weather and lighting can combine with blurred grain for excellent effect. I wonder if a little image rotation for edge alignment would take away some of the effect of cold and dis-
comfort?

SpecialK-Grain in the true sense of the word.

JonE- The epitome of a grain thief around our bird feeders.

Ivo-Spohr-Nice use of fore leaf and background noise and texture.

Beardeclam-Native K-7 grain I'm very familiar with. Possibly a little shadow relief for detail?

Tessfully-An effective use of diffusive grain in a diagonal composition highlighted with a splash of vegetation color.

Rampage2k5-Good use of grain to contrast human traffic movement against the stationary lights.

Bruce Clark-A great example of background grain to highlight the detailed texture of the Hermit Crab.

Bill2849-The embodiment of grain, grains, texture, movement, and lighting. Additionally very similar to one of the crown jewels of furniture wood grains, Quilted Maple.

Arjay Bee- A great example of action, stop action, shutter speed, lighting, grain and hold on for your dear life. The rider's hand looks like there is very little left to hold onto.

robjmitchell-A good use of grain to soften the focus on feline inquisitiveness.

nitsmule-a combination of lighting color, hazy grain, industrial buildings, and environmental implications are well done here.

scomatic-Nice colors on the sunset, hard to tell if grain or PP (clarity) for these old eyes.

Dieterson-ISO 3200 is a way to work a B/W for grain. Might like to see a full image version focusing on the right subject that's in focus.

For the Podium……………and next week's judge and subject decider is.

1st Place Bill2849 Grains of Sand

2nd Place StephenHampshire Barn Grain

3rd Place Elpolodiablo Quebec City Passage way

Thanks again everyone and Bill2849 you are up as next week's judge.

Last edited by lukulele; 11-27-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: photograph placement
Views: 1,191
11-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Lukulele for an interesting challenge which generated so many fine and interesting entries. I appreciated reviewing your insightful comments on each of the entries. Congratulations to Stephen and to Elpolodiablo for your well-deserved honors. I will post a new challenge tomorrow.

Now if I can just come up with a topic....
11-29-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job of judging lukule congrats to Bill2849 and some wonderful entries by all.
11-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice job of judging lukule congrats to Bill2849 and some wonderful entries by all.
Thanks Dave,
Hope to be back up in your mountains next year.

11-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrate to bill2849 and others!
11-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Bill! That is an awesome shot. Congrats to Stephen and Elpolodiablo, Thanks for the great topic and great feedback Lukulele.
12-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the great feedback. Congratulations to the winners! The images are really good.