Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WINNERS-Project 52-6-41-Lighting-creating shadows
Posted By: noelcmn, 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Hi folks, my apologies for being a bit late on the judging.

Though we only have 6 entries, I must say I am impressed with the high quality of images here, but also realize that, as with any challenge of this nature, time and circumstances do not permit the creative juices to flow with ease. Still, judging has not been easy. Thank you to all that entered.

Bill2849-I'll accept your latter entry as the official one-and a better choice it is too-love how the flowers pop in this image, and though the shadows are not the main subject they add a great amount of enhancement to the image with a dappled effect -always adds something to a photo! Great shot!

Mtux- fabulous shot, though there is not much shadow-but enough to fill the brief of the challenge.

Scomatic-Super shot-the shadows are the first thing to catch the eye in this image, and reveals an excellent photographers eye to see an opportunity and maximize on it. The horizon is a little skew but that would be nit picking.

Patrick9- As with Mtux, not much shadows but enough to fit the brief. I do want to give that kitty a tummy rub though. Probably rip it to shreds.

Jheu02-Another fabulous shot, and revealing a keen photographers eye for just such a challenge as this I agree with you assessment of depth and architecture.

Robjmitchell- Ooh I like this one-fabulous use of light, which is what this brief is all about, coming as it does from the right, and creating those diagonal lines and works well in conjunction with the other opposite direction diagonal lines from the floor. And of course there are the vertical lines, creating a lovely symmetry in this image. Looks like a restaurant table and chairs- which if it is-another keen photographers eye that rises up to the challenge of Project 52-6-41. I am not sure about the B/W but can only judge that if I saw the color version, which, with these things, I appreciate that floors and table/chair legs, are not the most aesthetic of things, and B/W is more suitable.

The winner for me on this challenge is Robmitchell, for the excellent use of light with something that can be so ordinary.
Second spot goes to Scomatic and 3rd spot to Bill2849

On another note- While I appreciate that sometimes a challenge can be difficult to execute, and an extension may be the best course, I have tried to avoid extensions as much as possible and try to stick to the intention of the Project 52 challenge- and that is to have 52 differing challenges, one for every week. A few extensions (as has happened in the past) lead to less challenges, or an overlap into the new year. As is is, this years Project 52 will only be 46 and not 52. My apologies to those who asked for an extension only to discover it is not given. So, despite only a few entries, I prefer it that even those are judged and winners announced. It is encouraging for both winners and other participants to do so. I will leave it up to the facilitator next year as to how he wants to apply the rules.
Views: 1,673
12-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to Robmitchell for your winning study and to Scomatic for a photo truly deserving of 2nd place honors. Thank you Noel for your comments and judging and for my 3rd place honors. Good job everyone. I do think Patrick would deserve extra credit if the cat's name happened to be "Shadow" (I'm just saying, even though I understand that the cat may well have another name).

I do agree, Noel, with your decision to avoid extensions as much as possible. I recognize that there are times when fewer people are able to participate and there are times when I am not able to participate, but I do believe that the weekly nature of the challenge helps to promote a rhythm and discipline for taking photos on a regular basis. Just thought that I would share my opinion on the topic. I agree that next year's facilitator has discretion as to how to apply the rules.
12-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Rob on the win as well as Scomatic and Bill on placeing.
Thanks Noel on judging and commenting
12-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Noel for judgment and comments,
and a big congrats to Robmitchel and Scomatic and Bill.

I'm OK with your decision on extensions Noel, and thank you for taking time and explaining it.

12-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

U forgotten to announce the event is closed.

By the way, thanks to Noel for comment and Robjmitchell to get the number 1 (lucky... i still able to enter this week challenge. )
congrate to Bill2849 and all participate.

Noel, I not understand the extension mean? Can anyone explain more for me? My English still limitation.
12-03-2014, 02:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for judging Noel!
As for this shot it was hand held at night with a fluro in the car port providing the light source. I was going to come back with a tripod another night (and get better angles) but after a couple of days the moon was up earlier in the evening and the shadows were not the same. As for colour, well grey table, brown deck and fluro lighting should say it all!
12-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Scomatic

Extension refers to the closing date of the Competition, being extended by another week to allow more participants. It may be for various reasons-participants themselves request it, too few entries or the facilitator. That would then mean that instead of having 52 challenges within 1 calender year, we would still have 52 challenges, but it will extend into the next year, thus not keeping with the core idea of the challenge- a 52 weekly challenges in a calender year. The idea is that we are challenged in our photographic skills by these various challenges.
The alternative which I have opted for is:
1. No extensions.
2. If they are allowed, we decrease the number of challenges.

Hope that helps.

12-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Hi Scomatic

Extension refers to the closing date of the Competition, being extended by another week to allow more participants. It may be for various reasons-participants themselves request it, too few entries or the facilitator. That would then mean that instead of having 52 challenges within 1 calender year, we would still have 52 challenges, but it will extend into the next year, thus not keeping with the core idea of the challenge- a 52 weekly challenges in a calender year. The idea is that we are challenged in our photographic skills by these various challenges.
The alternative which I have opted for is:
1. No extensions.
2. If they are allowed, we decrease the number of challenges.

Hope that helps.
Ooo... now i understand... strongly agreed with the no extension rules!