Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS #308 - Weakness!
Posted By: Hattifnatt, 12-19-2014, 11:17 AM

Thank you all for participating in this challenge. Sorry for the long delay, I've been very ill during this weak, it appears I got the flu I'm better now though.

Although the number of entries was not so high, I was impressed by the quality of the photos. Below are my thoughts on each entry, based on or influenced by my personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. When I look at a photograph, I like to set back and let the picture create a specific mood in my mind, then I try to further develop that emotional state and see where the photo takes me. The entire process is of course highly subjective. Sometimes I wonder too far away and I might end up in a different place than the one intended by the author.

Ramseybuckeye - Fresh Rolls
The sharpness, colors and details of this photo appeal to one of our most basic instincts, eating! There is not so much room for discussion here, I tried to find something elegant to write, but i just couldn't. I want to taste them as fast as possible. A "subtle" hint towards one common day-to-day weakness, this simple but powerful picture will leave you literally drooling.

Tessfully -
This photo holds true to its owner claim - showing both weakness and strength. Weakness in nature may be at times deceiving, as it happens in our lives: when the difficulties come, we may bend but we will not be broken. We grow not only by conquest of our weaknesses but also by occasional surrender to them. Sometimes you have to die inside in order to rise from your own ashes. Framing is perfect and the smooth bokeh helps my daydreaming while diving into this picture.

Atupdate - Day 3
I've had puppies and kittens several times in my house so I can easily empathize with this picture. While the theme of the challenge is clearly present, there is no better cure for weakness than the maternal love. Few things in life are as heartwarming as watching a mother dog interact with her puppies. Some may call it "instinct", but dog lovers know better. I like the symmetry in their position and how the pink little nose of the puppet is matching the collar of his mom. I wonder if they both dream of eachother.

Lisami - fallen baby bird
While this picture feels to me as the definition of weakness, its message is very strong. Hard to imagine something more helpless than a little baby bird fallen from its nest. There is also an uneasy feeling about it. Nature is merciless and fallen baby birds rarely survive. The out of focus areas and the fallen leaves near the bird add to the athmosphere. They were green once, before falling... now they are dead and drying out. Will the baby bird suffer their fate or can he somehow make it back to safety? will it be somebody to watch over him? Matthew ten, verse twenty-nine: "Not one sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it."
But the sparrow still falls.

Wolvesrule - Thin ice
I like the contrast between the dog's fur and the dark shade of the ice as it's captured in this picture. Also, the less evident contrast between the weak ice and the courageous doggie... you have to be strong minded to walk on thin ice! Apart from the carrefuly walking dog, the diagonal blur of the ice (caused by the water flowing beneath or maybe some panning?) gives me a sense of motion... and also danger. Nice shot and brave dog!

Charliezap - We've all had a weak moment
This apparently simple image holds a perfect illustration of the theme. The closed eyes and the abandonment expression on her face as she offers the money and surrenders to her weak moment is priceless. Perfect timing capture!

Zamke14 - Oyster farm
Perhaps I was wrong earlier when I said I cannot imagine something more helpless than a fallen baby bird. Nice and simple representation of the theme.

Kobie - Weak emotional state
A dark and brooding low-key portrait which I enjoy a lot, I like how only his face and hands are showing from the shadows as well as the details and bits of red barely visible in the lower part of the image. However, although I understand the author's intention, it seems to me the depiction of the theme is not so obvious with this one, as I can easily imagine that the character is focusing or concentrating.

Sealonsf - Patchworked Canoe
I like this one a lot, the texture and color tones are just perfect and makes the photo pleasing to my eyes. The challenge theme is present in an original way. It's been a tough life for this poor canoe with all those patches and stitches, you can actually see through it! but still not going down. Makes me think of an old man... life leaves scars for everybody, learning experiences that makes us stronger in the end.

Checking...jono - Outdated edibles
This one picture was the most difficult for me to figure out. I apologize for maybe missing something out. I was thinking 1632 kbs is like 740kg, all outdated edibles... and 3 boxes? if eating could be depicted as a weakness as we've previously seen, somebody fought reallly really hard Or maybe it's about something more direct - like a cardboard box is perhaps too weak to hold 1632 lbs?

Noelcmn -
A powerful image that shows weakness both literally and figuratively. While candle wax is weak per se, to me this photo suggests somebody completely defeated and broken down. I like how the candle aligns with the metal support and also the contrast between the red wax and the overall cold tones of the image. Somehow makes me think of a heartbreak - one moment the flame is burning and then... it feels like the whole world has fallen apart.

Dieterson - A weak light in the back-street area of Venice
Great shot. The weak light, the narrow and claustrophobic street, the ghostly windows above... although I know the shot was taken in Venice, I cannot stop thinking about the superbly atmospheric ghetto of Prague, the Golem lurking in the shadows...

Now for the difficult part. Perhaps in the future my knowledge in photography will allow me to be truly objective; as it stands right now, its lack thereof causes me to lean towards subjectivity. I did not try to run from it, but instead I took a step back, looked at the entries again and decided upon those I like the most. There were 3 photos which I liked very very much and I had a tough time trying to decide the one I like best. Not sure I did a good job, but unfortunatelly we cannot have more than one host so... in the end there can be only one!

Honorable Mentions: Tessfully, Ramseybuckeye, Charliezap

3rd Place: Dieterson

2nd Place (tie): Noelcmn and lisami (I hope you put the baby bird back to the nest after taking the shot )

1st Place and Next Week's Host: Sealonsf

Congratulations everybody!!
Views: 1,253
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congtrats Sealonsf!
I like the photo, though I'd consider it more befitting of a "Strength" themed contest.
12-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Thanks! That was a surprise. I'll put some thought into a theme and get it up soon.
12-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Sealonsf!

Thankd for the challenge Hattifnatt and commenting on all of the pictures.

12-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #5

Congratulations to sealonsf, and a big thank you to Hattifnatt for hosting the challenge and commenting all the pictures :-)
12-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh Wow, the coveted 2nd spot! I am honored, and even more honored that you saw something in my image that I did not! Thank you! Congratulations Seasonsf, that is a wow image, lovely colors. Congrats too to my other fellow podium places. And a hearty thanks to Hattifnatt for this interesting challenge, it provided another dose of pleasing-to-the-eye and inspiring images. And glad you are better!
12-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all of the winners and thanks to a great host. Looking forward to the next challenge from seasonsf.

Tim

12-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats to all the winners on this challenge.looking forward to the next one.--charliezap
12-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the terrific challenge and all the amazing comments Hattifnatt! Congrats Sealonsf... I love the character and moodiness of your winning shot. Congratulations to the runners up and HMs and thank you for counting me among those HMs!