Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Project 52-7-1-winners
Posted By: noelcmn, 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Well, after a bit of a bumpy start, we are off the starting block with Project 52-7 and I have the privilege of judging the first one. A job I hate, but I also get to have a closer look at all the images , a job I love (but I will still get my revenge on Patrick9). Allow me to offer a word of thanks to Scomatic for taking on the job of facilitating Project 52. I personally appreciate it very much. Keeping in mind the directives for judging, I must say I hate looking for things to criticise. I appreciate criticism of my own pics, but hating having to criticise other peoples work, and instead prefer to look at the positive. So for this challenge I have used my standard judging criteria-the image itself-composition, color, how does it appeal to me and the other is what does the image tell me about the photographer, what are they trying to communicate- a thing of beauty, something mundane turned into something interesting, or a simple desire to share a part of their world with the rest of the world and of course their skill with the camera. So from that point of view, don’t expect anything technical. Here are my thoughts:
Tamia-just the opening salvo to set the bar! I like this for several reasons-you have captured the mood- the quiet mood of a library very well here. Libraries are inevitably chaotic (well in my experience at any rate), and despite that there is an element of that here, it is not overwhelming, in fact there seems to be an element of simplicity to it. What I like even more, is that you have conveyed the sense of a library as being a place of endless knowledge with that almost tunnel view! And of course all those books. Great stuff.

Jheu02-Appropos my comment above about creating something interesting from the mundane. I applaud your skill. I like the converging /crisscrossing lines in this shot, but dominated by the arching lamp.

Bill2849-Such a lot to digest in this image-windows and their light, the beams and of course the very interesting lampshade. I appreciate that it is always difficult to isolate something like this in a complex environment of a hall. Great stuff, composition is spot on target.

Scomatic- Animal lovers will love you for this one! A great shot, warm glow, inviting fire, and a cat in a striking pose to complete the scene. Add to that all the complimentary colors. And do I detect a “don’t you dare ask me to move, I’ll scratch your eye out”message in that cat’s eyes? Solid eye - contact speaks volumes about a photographer!

Jcdoss-Fantastic-simple and attractive piece of indoor decor. Beautiful minimalist shot, and the B/W conversion suits this very well! Looking at it, it could easily pass for a piece of antique furniture-all the details tell me it is old-well older that what I am- I’m only 27-or is it 26?

Patrick9- lovely fun shot-sharp and you have made that Panda (Red Panda I believe) come alive. Cute as anything! Love the colors on this too The big question is, did you give it a morsel? I would’nt blame you if you did-or at least pick it up! Top marks for composition and an eye to see and create something!

Noelcmn-disqualified

Mtux-Sharp, appealing to the emotions and the senses and aesthetics., and that whiff of your wife adds such a lot to this image, keeping an element of mystery and interest. Not sure if you noticed the slight skew on this image, and I am not sure if this is intentional, to keep that hand in the pic? Lovely warm tones.

And the winner is- Jcdoss-for his interesting piece of fire place decor-old, full of character and of course his keen timing to utilize the light! Well done!

2nd place would go to Tamia and 3rd to Scomatic

Views: 1,176
01-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Noel -
Great job with the judging and the comments on all the entries. There were many worthy entries and I was glad I did not have to pick and choose amongst the entries.

Congratulations JC, Tamia and Scotomatic for your entries and extra thanks to Scotomatic for a worthy challenge and for taking over responsibility of facilitating these challenges over the coming year.
01-13-2015, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh damn! I mean, Yay! Thanks for choosing me to judge next week's photos by our most excellent band of weekly warriors. Congrats to everyone who played, scomatic and Tamia for placing, and thanks a ton Noel for judging. I will be the judge next week.. and winners will be drawn from a hat. Cheers!
01-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like we are off to a good start for the coming year
Thanks for judging this Noel and for the comments. I caught it raiding the kittens food, so no morsel from me. And ..... 26 or 27. Now you have made me feel old. Well I guess maybe I am old
Congratulations JC, as well as Tamia and Scomatic .

01-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

thanks Noel for comment.. and all the participate... congrate to JCdoss again, and TAMIA...

Comment for judge's picture
noelcmn - I pretty like your photo, if not because you're judging... I think your photo will be in podium position... Nice compositor. Although i still though it is not real...
The bad - The lighting is seem not attractive enough...

Last edited by scomatic; 01-13-2015 at 08:30 PM.
01-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks Noel, for judgment and comments.
Congrats to JC, Tamia and Scomatic. some great entries this week.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Not sure if you noticed the slight skew on this image, and I am not sure if this is intentional, to keep that hand in the pic?
Well, I noticed that the lantern isn't straight, but didn't mind it since people can't normally hold it straight, and felt it's normal like this.
01-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Jcdoss! A beautiful piece indeed. Congratulations also to Scomatic for placing on the podium. Thanks for the tough job of judging and also for giving my shot a place on the podium, Noel, you young whipper snapper, you.

01-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ JC Is that a gremlin looking out from about the 11 o'clock position?