Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 90 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
#311 Silhouette
Posted By: Cory Tarilton, 01-14-2015, 12:12 AM

Stoked to win a weekly challenge on this forum. I mainly frequent a ski-lifestyle specific forum that gets a lot traffic but very little talent. It's all about getting people 'stoked' and living vicariously through others so I hope my liked/post count never drops below 1.0, otherwise I'm not doing a good enough job.

Rolling off of last weeks challenge, I've got an idea for a photo that is a combination of long-exposure, self portrait, silhouette, and flash that I want to try and nail down sometime in my life and would surely fit into the realm of 'get more photos published', and the hardest part will be framing the silhouette. So that's what I want you all to work on this week.

I'm currently living on friends couches and in the back of my truck skiing around B.C., Wa, Mt, Id, and Wy. If I haven't given notice that I'll be MIA or replied for 3 days after the challenge ends, RollsUp can pull double duty and pick a winner

Here are a few examples from my portfolio. I love skiing if you can't tell.

This last one is what I mentioned earlier. For a personal goal, I want to apply this concept to snow.

The fine print:

The Challenge will run until midnight next Wed, January 21, PST, USA.

Every week, a new theme is picked and judged by the winner of the previous week.

Rules
1. Post ONE photo (max 1024x1024).
2. The photo must portray an interpretation of the theme.
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
4. The challenge is interactive. Any response is welcome.
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
7. Any Pentax (or Samsung DSLR) camera can be used.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

Read more at: #310 - New Years Resolutions

Last edited by Cory Tarilton; 01-15-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Views: 8,181
01-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man-I'm not touching this one until I see one that meets the criteria of the challenge.Where is the example?--charliezap
01-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Beardedclam Quote

I've got an idea for a photo that is a combination of long-exposure, self portrait, silhouette, and flash that I want to try and nail down sometime in my life and would surely fit into the realm of 'get more photos published', and the hardest part will be framing the silhouette. So that's what I want you all to work on this week.
To clarify, do you mean you want us to fulfil all three criteria "long exposure, self portrait and silhouette" for this challenge? Or just silhouette, as the title theme suggests?
01-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
RollsUp can pull double duty and pick a winner
Rules
3. Post your single picture in this thread and explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly theme (especially if it's not obvious).
5. The judge will pick the WINNERS and choose one of them to be the judge for the next week.
6. This challenge runs for 7 days plus an additional day for the judge to choose the winners.
8. Pictures can be from any time frame, not just within the week of the current theme.
9. In case the winner of a challenge is unable to become the judge for the next challenge, they will PM the #2 winner for that person to be the judge.

01-14-2015, 05:42 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Here's a shot that almost meets one criterion.

01-15-2015, 04:40 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
and the hardest part will be framing the silhouette. So that's what I want you all to work on this week
From this statement, I interpret the challenge to be silhouettes.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-15-2015 at 07:11 AM.
01-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
To clarify, do you mean you want us to fulfil all three criteria "long exposure, self portrait and silhouette" for this challenge? Or just silhouette, as the title theme suggests?
Just silhouettes as the title suggests

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Man-I'm not touching this one until I see one that meets the criteria of the challenge.Where is the example?--charliezap
Hopefully I'll be able to get around some fresh snow this weekend and try it out. I don't know if I'll be able to do it, or if it will even turn out well if I can nail the timing and logistics of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Rules
I'll be doing my best to be around internet for the end of the contest, but stable snow, sun, or storm skiing while living out of a tent or my truck in the middle of nowhere for a few days is kind of how I'm living my life right now

01-15-2015, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Sun sets over Pinetree Lake and Tia Maria

01-15-2015, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I am a sucker for silhouettes... here is one I took of my sister and her new husband the day after her wedding taken on my Pentax K5IIS with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime In Rincon Puerto Rico.

I like how there is a ton going on with the storm rolling in... the blue hour clouds and of course some great beverages

01-15-2015, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #10

A few weeks ago, we finally got some serious snow over here. Time to head out for a hike with my very first DSLR. I love pine trees that stand alone because only then they will grow in their full shape. That's why I snapped this photo. I know it's not the best entree in this contest - most likely the least, but I should start somewhere, right? :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 

Last edited by Leontien; 01-15-2015 at 11:49 AM.
01-15-2015, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #11

Shades of Envy

I have been finding myself increasingly drawn to the subtleties of details in shape and form. In this case, the curves or a woman's body, which is a truly beautiful thing. To me, this photo represents the sensuality of the female form without needing to reveal anything at all. I hope you all like (as this is my first photo submission on the forum)!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-15-2015, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

[IMG][/IMG]
01-15-2015, 12:51 PM - 2 Likes   #13

Hey Pentax people, it's been a while since I posted here! But seeing this weekly challenge come by (on Facebook, thanks for posting it there) reminded me to submit something.

This was taken at a lovely stormy afternoon, with harsh winds, and a nice low sun. The silhouettes of these walkers just happened to merge, making them look like 3-legged persons haha. Lucky shot
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-15-2015, 01:19 PM - 2 Likes   #14

There is this tree next to this trail that walk very often regardless of the season. It presents with a great view like in the middle of the nowhere.
01-15-2015, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #15

Peace!

The day i took this picture with my trusty K-x was just really awesome. Every winter Yoko Ono herself switches the light on on her peace tower, so me and my friends (the guy standing at exactly the right spot was my flatmate) decided to go there the as ferries are free on that day. The tower, which is basically just a beam of light, is located on a small island, called Viđey, north of Reykjavík. The tiny island is than packed with people, there's some live music and overall it's as peacful as it can get.