Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS: Project 52-7-02
Posted By: jcdoss, 01-20-2015, 07:49 PM

Another week is gone, believe it or not, and here we are with a small but mighty group of Project 52'ers, each presenting their individual interpretations of the theme, "Building - Architecture." Thanks everyone for participating! Like last week's judge, I will be commenting briefly on each entry based on technical merit, artistic appeal, and how well the image fits the theme. Remember, this is just my opinion, which isn't worth much most of the time. This is my least favorite part of participating in Project 52, so without further ado, here's this week's entries!

Tamia - A nice image, deep depth of field with even lighting. There's lots to look at here... the silhouetted people walking in the distance, details of a sunny day outside, and hints of lunchtime conversations below. Architecturally, which is what I'm supposed to be looking at, there's also a lot of detail... smooth curves, straight lines, wood, metal, and glass. Nice image! Is this your workplace?

Scomatic - First you automatically lose 10 points for using a Sony a7II because I'm jealous! :-)... kidding. Anyway, what have we here? Again, nice sharp detail, even lighting, and deep depth despite having some nice foreground detail on the column. You have nice symmetry, sort of, in the ceiling bars with the large broad column to break it up a little. There are no distractions here... pure architectural detail of an interesting building. Well captured! Where is this... don't know what KLCC is.

Noelcmn - A peaceful, and somehow familiar image of the entryway to your church. Technically, you lose a couple points for blown highlights, but the symmetry and "doorway within a doorway" portrayal here is a winner. In fact, if you could have cropped it to just show the doorways, this would have gone to the next level. Do you agree?

Patrick9 - This reminds me of an old mill we visited in the Buffalo River area last fall. Technically, I think your framing is a little tight, and perspective distortion isn't helping much here. The fence and shadows are also a major distraction in my mind. I would be interested to see the view about 10-15 paces to your left... more of an oblique angle, showing the frontage a little more. Architecturally, it's interesting, but it needs more.

jheu02 - Yeah, you busted me trying to close the challenge a day too early. I forgot we were using slightly different rules this year. At any rate, your image shows good depth and sharp enough detail, however some details are cut off, like the flagpoles in the middle building. Some of the foreground objects, particularly the lightpole, are in the way. Architecturally, you did a fine job of showing the repeating, squared up building facades, but I end up wishing for more close-up detail of one of these.

Bill2849 - I really like the lighting and colors in your photo! The tree in the foreground adds something, even though it's kind of in the way. Detail and depth is crisp, and technically I think it's excellent. There is architecture here, the parallel and perpendicular lines of the bricks contrast with the round silo-like structures that I wish I could see a little better. Nice entry!

So, who won? Here's my top three:

#3: Bill2849. You made me want to go get some ice cream in January!
#2: Tamia. I think you took an excellent photograph showing the architecture of the place, and telling a story about the people in side. Well done!

and this week's winner is...

#1: Scomatic. Nothing but architecture! Lines, curves, symmetry, you chose a great subject and portrayed it well. Now that you're not using that a7II, please send it to me.

Thanks for watching, and see you next week!
Views: 1,400
01-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for judging and the comments JC.
Congratulations Scomatic on the win also congratulations to Tamia, and Bill on podium finishes.
01-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations Scomatic for his deservedly winning entry, and to Tamia for earning 2nd place. JC, I enjoyed your commentary and appreciated your judging, and I enjoyed your unofficial entry as well.
Looking forward to backyard architecture.
01-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Scomatic-Fab shot, worthy winner! Congrats too to Tamia and Bill2849. Thanks to our competent judge for a great job, learned a lot from that exercise. I agree with you Jcdoss, and will give it another go in PP sometime. Had'nt thought about that that way, and probably more my inclination to "show off" our little church, which by other standards, really lack architectural features.

01-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh no~! I will get you back again soon~... haha
Anyway thanks for elected me to judge for next week's photo of our professional weekly warriors. Congrats to Tamia and Bill2849, although I personally like Tamia and Bill2849 photo very much too! Good judge & comment from JCdoss! Thanks...and be careful of next week winner ya~ because... I also will be drawn winners from a hat too... cheers~!

Jcdoss... i can't borrow to you already, as the new customer was brought it away already... The camera for testing purpose only.
01-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the top spot with your stunning photo, Scomatic -- a fascinating structure, for sure, and beautiful colors/curves. Congratulations to Bill also -- looks good enough to eat! Thanks so much for 2nd, JC, and for your insightful judging. I like your style!

JC, is it my workplace? No, it's the University of Vermont Hospital in Burlington VT. Not very appealing on the outside, from my point of view, but I find appealing that sunny interior pavilion, with its open views of the southwest prospect. I shot no photos when people were nearby, for privacy's sake, but liked having them in the distance where they're visible but not identifiable.
01-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

jcdoss - For your picture...
I pretty like your simple photo, and sharp eye too... I'm thinking, if the photo can rotate to upside down, it will be much interesting... Anyway... how u get under bridge ya?