Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
WINNERS Weekly Challenge #316: A Matter of Unusual Perspective
Posted By: Tamia, 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Thanks to everyone who entered this edition of the Weekly Challenge, which had the theme of "A Matter of Unusual Perspective." This is what I said were the kinds of photos I hoped to see:

"I'm looking for photos that are presented in something other than the typical way. Photos captured from down low or up high, or in any way other than the one we expect to see."

All the photos fit the theme, which only makes it harder to rank them to choose winners. In judging, I looked for the usual technical characteristics, but gave the edge to those shots that seemed to me to have best met the criteria mentioned above.

So here are my thoughts on each photo, presented in the order in which they were posted:

Outis The basket's soft shadow patterns contrast beautifully with the strong linear flooring (is it bamboo?). These features, combined with the choice of monochrome processing make a very appealing photo in which the perspective is of a everyday object shown in an unusual way.

Simon_199 Your photo is an unusual perspective, for sure. By zooming the lens while focusing on the person's eye, you've created a sense of movement that's quite pronounced, with the lines of movement converging on a vanishing point behind your stationary subject. A very interesting photo, indeed.

Tim/atupdate The world from a puppy's point of view is certainly one most adults don't often experience. Their expressions are very engaging, and their individuality is evident in their poses and expression. One of the four is even so shy or playful he's not immediately apparent -- a little surprise hidden in plain sight. I like it and the Siggy was a perfect lens for this shot.

Charlie/charliezap This is definitely an unusual perspective, Charlie, an imaginative one at that. I love the element of wonder and surprise here. (What am I looking at? Egad, this is a view from inside the refrigerator! How did he do that?) Great job and a top notch choice to fit the theme.

Kyle/SpecialK What a stunning dome, Kyle. I'd say it fits the theme quite well. While such an impressive architectural feature screams out to be look at, to achieve this shot I can well imagine having to bend backwards to an extreme and uncomfortable pose. Lovely job.

David/K David I can't help but smile when I look at this picture, a shot that without doubt shows an unusual and unexpected perspective. The milk jug's opening and the eye in the center, with the angled seams and jug top forming a kind of cross, makes for a solid composition.

Tess/tessfully Autumn's blaze of color depicted in beautiful hues and with an unusual perspective -- instead of the typical (even if lovely) big picture, you concentrate on the artistic representation of the season, which appeals to me very much. There's just enough detail to the leaves to make it clear what's being shown here, the leading lines add a dynamic element, and the out of focus surrounding elements with stunning colors paint a lovely portrait of the season.

Sealonsf An unusual presentation of an often photographed bridge, presented with strong composition, contrasting textures, and lovely colors. A lot can be deduced from this photo -- it's rained recently enough that the puddles haven't soaked in or evaporated, and it's breezy. I like this quite a lot, though you might want to clone out the dust or water mark in the puddle on the right side.

Tom/ramseybuckeye I like snakes, though if I was a small amphibian or insect on the leaves where your lens is resting, I'd be less so. The perspective is definitely not your usual one, and that you managed to get so much in focus of so small a snake is impressive. The composition is dynamic and I can almost hear the small rustling sounds of the snake moving on and under the leaves. Great job.

Croaton Welcome to the forum and to Weekly Challenges! I am very intrigued by your photo, which has me asking myself many questions. As an example of unusual perspective it's very good. I'm lured to bend down and peek through the hole in the church door, and want to see more of the details inside. Tantalizing views of the artwork, the altar, the cross and the candle holders. The colors are quite beautiful, and the out of focus foreground only strengthens the overall appeal of this photo. Well done, and a nod to you for a photo taken in a way I'd never have thought of.

Tim/TimPGH This is certainly a view *I* wouldn't see every day, or maybe never, because I'd be extremely nervous of positioning myself in the median like that. I can almost hear and feel the vehicles whipping along on either side, the bridge perhaps juddering a bit through the feet. Kudos on managing to shoot this photo. And a great job it is, too. Sharp, well composed, great colors, a shot I'd be proud to have gotten.

Phil/Papa Lazarou A very strong photo, and with a nifty kick of excitement from your choice of perspective. This picture would be appealing if the angle was a "normal" view up at the building, but by angling the shot so the cloud layers dip and form a V with the building's linear elements, you make a very compelling photo. There's energy there, and the color is really nice. Great job.

Norm/normhead This shot creates a sense of calm and mystery at the same time. Is it dawn or dusk? Whatever the time, it's still, and thus the feeling of quiet calm. Beautiful colors, with the pine "growing" down from above giving the idea that you're lying on your back looking up at trees behind you. Nicely done.

Matt/mattb123 Great colors and sharpness, excellent choice of lens, a confident and skilled model -- love the skulls, and the torn knee suggests some hard knocks happened along the way toward mastering the skateboard -- and the photographer's shadow which also hints at someone who cares is not far away, in case of need. Definitely a shot that compels and invites the viewer to linger. Overall a terrific photo well suited to the theme.

Mark/mecrox Another shot from the unusual perspective of ground level, and with the added charm of a reflecting puddle along with hard cobblestones. I don't think you could have gotten lower without submerging in that puddle, Mark. The composition with a streetscape luring the eye deeper into the distance, combined with that puddle reflecting the bright sky, make for a dynamic photo that's all the more appealing for the colors and sharp building details. And as a cyclist with a fascination with the classic spring European road races, the cobbles really hold my attention (and respect). Good choice for this challenge.

Noel/noelcmn Well, I guess you're right, Noel! It's not every day that one gets to look up into the gaping mouth of an elephant! Top marks for subject matter, and bonus points for getting near enough to shoot the photo. I love how the elephant's eye sparkles and that the animal's upper palate and teeth are so sharp. Great job! (I hope for your sake that the beast didn't have bad breath.)

Dieterson I certainly admire any photographer who aims high! Or is it aiming low? I like this photo a lot, even though it gives me a little vertigo, but it makes me think and want to know more about what else there is to see. I would like to know more about how you shot this picture. Great choice for the challenge.

Arnold It's not often anyone but a pilot sees such a view, I'd wager, so this is certainly an unusual perspective and a solid photo for this challenge. Composition is strong, encouraging the eye to move along to the stairs that give away what it is we're seeing. The colors and the plane's reflective qualities help make a dramatic shot.

Scomatic A beautiful and complex set of water drops that look as if they were blown in glass. Lovely colors, too. And as an example of unusual perspective, it works. It's not often that we put our noses right down at water level and watch as water falls into water. Very appealing photo indeed.

Well, there you have my thoughts, and now to announce the winners. As always, a large element of subjectivity comes into play when choosing winners. Deciding on the lineup was tough, as you might imagine, with so many excellent photos. Here goes...

Third Place: Mark/mecrox

Second Place: Matt/matt123

First Place, and next week's judge: Charlie/charliezap. What can I say? I often stand outside the refrigerator looking in, but never have done so from inside!

Thanks again to everyone. I enjoyed each and every photo entered, and if had been possible, I'd have bought you each the beverage of your choice in celebration.
Views: 2,373
03-03-2015, 01:06 AM   #2

First of all, congratulations to the winners! These are great shots. Wise judging, Tamia, and thanks to you too for this fun challenge and commenting on all the entries.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I like this photo a lot, even though it gives me a little vertigo, but it makes me think and want to know more about what else there is to see. I would like to know more about how you shot this picture.
Oh well, I must admit that, maybe, I fibbed a tiny little bit. I did not really jump. I mean, hey, there's no way to shot a sharp picture while jumping ;-)
This picture was taken from the top of a day beacon in Cornwall. The three persons are standing right next to its wall. It is just outside of the picture. At the top, you can see the coastline.
03-03-2015, 03:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to the winners! A fantastic group of shots in the competition. And thank you for your sensitive judging, Tamia. Yes, it is a bumpy bike ride down Merton Street ...
03-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Charlie-I agree, a familiar scene very well captured, and fits the bill very well. Sharp, and a lovely homely feel to it. Congrats extended to Matt123 and Mecrox. Thanks Tamia, for a lovely challenge, inviting a stunning line-up of images. And of course for an excellent judging exercise. Btw. no bad breath available, it was munching on some leaves.

03-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When you see the three winners one after another, they provide a great tutorial on finding interesting perspectives. Congratulations to Charlie, Matt, and Mark and thanks to Tamia for hosting a great challenge.

Tim
03-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wonderful challenge and awesome choices Tamia. Congrats Charlie. Such a cool shot indeed! Also kudos to Matt and Mark for interesting and beautiful images. Thanks to Tamia for her insightful comments.
03-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow- I'm honored and humbled for being judged the winner of the challenge. Congrats to Matt and Mark for their winning shots and thanks to Tamia for hosting and judging the challenge. The shot was relatively easy to take. All I did was put the camera on a 2 sec delay in the fridge and use the remote shutter release.The exif data was 1 sec @f/18 for dof @ 400ISO. The Pentax 18-250 lens was used at 18mm.
I will have the new challenge up by tomorrow at the latest.----charliezap.

03-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Wow- I'm honored and humbled for being judged the winner of the challenge. Congrats to Matt and Mark for their winning shots and thanks to Tamia for hosting and judging the challenge. The shot was relatively easy to take. All I did was put the camera on a 2 sec delay in the fridge and use the remote shutter release.The exif data was 1 sec @f/18 for dof @ 400ISO. The Pentax 18-250 lens was used at 18mm.
I will have the new challenge up by tomorrow at the latest.----charliezap.
Thanks for the information on how you set up your photo, Charlie. I'm amazed your lens didn't get misty.
03-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent submissions and winners and thanks especially to Tamia for attentive judging!
03-03-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, thanks! I'm honored. Lots of nice photos in this one. Thanks for judging Tamia.

Nice shot charliezap! You say it was easy to take but often the hard part for everyone else is your own vision which may just come naturally to you. If you have a good concept all you have to do when taking the photo is not mess it up! Easily said but I know not always as easily done. Nice work.
03-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
...Nice shot charliezap! You say it was easy to take but often the hard part for everyone else is your own vision which may just come naturally to you. If you have a good concept all you have to do when taking the photo is not mess it up! Easily said but I know not always as easily done. Nice work.
Exactly so!
03-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, thanks! I'm honored. Lots of nice photos in this one. Thanks for judging Tamia.

Nice shot charliezap! You say it was easy to take but often the hard part for everyone else is your own vision which may just come naturally to you. If you have a good concept all you have to do when taking the photo is not mess it up! Easily said but I know not always as easily done. Nice work.
I never thought of it that way Matt probably because my mind is always thinking of different and weird concepts of capturing a given moment.It's probably a product of many "Red Solo Cups"---charliezap

Last edited by charliezap; 03-03-2015 at 01:39 PM.
03-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Congratulations to the winner, i'm looking forward to the next theme !
03-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I never thought of it that way Matt probably because my mind is always thinking of different and weird concepts of capturing a given moment.It's probably a product of many "Red Solo Cups"---charliezap
The Guinness was a nice touch too. I usually have a couple of those in my fridge as well.
03-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to Charlie, Matt, and Mark, Outstanding! Thanks for a great challenge Tamia.