Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WINNERS - Project 52 52-7-08 - Ideas - Creative Power
Posted By: Helena, 03-03-2015, 12:51 PM

So here are my comments to so much powerful creativity:

noelcmn - It's not that I don't want you as my enemy, wich I don't, but I really like your photo. How did you do that? Is the glass coloured? Or the lights? This is a mystery to me, with a beautiful result!

Tamia - It's worth to try, but I don't thik that guy will get rid of those caries. It's a bit late for him. But that shows that you really have a powerful imagination... who would think of such a thing to photograph? You made me laugh too... nice work!

patrick9 - Yes, go and get a WR lens, and get out into the rain with it (don't swim on that pool) .
I like that blue colour too, but I'm finding it hard to understand the motives and your choices when shooting this one. Where are you trying to take us? (probably it's just me that can't figure it out... sorry )

tessfully - I surely hope you are right. I miss springtime with it's sunny and warmy days. Your entry is really creative, and a different way of using photography: as a scenario to new compositions. And with sense of humour too.

Dieterson - That's quite a way to be creative. Changing the scale and the point of view has the power to make us look at things differently. It's a funny game to play with kids too: "imagine you were an ant, how would you see this, and that?" Good job! (You have to work on that terrain around the cabin for me to visit you (I can't get there by car) - but I'll give you some time: I'll wait for the summer, so I can swim in that lake!)

mtux - This is why sometimes photography would benefit from having sound included! What's the instrument she's playing? And I don't agree with you that you don't have much creativity. Anyone who can dream by listening to beautiful music is certainly already creating something. Sometimes we just don't know how to bring it out. Maybe listening to our own dreams is the first step. Nice shot!

jcdoss - You made me laugh twice, and both times by relating electricity with this "creative power" thing. As scomatic said, electricity wasn't the subject of this challenge, but it sure is used to portray power and also creativity (that's my photo - a tungsten lamp as a symbol of brilliant ideas). You can tell Johnny Socket not to worry about it, because "he's got the power" and creativity is what he is made of.

scomatic - Beautiful! As I said about Dieterson's photography, perspective and scale changes everything. But time changes it too. By freezing a moment that our eye can't capture and simultaneously by showing it at a different scale you can get both beauty and mystery. The light is great too. Sorry to ask you too, but how is it done?

Papa Lazarou - That's a different way to take a selfie. I just can't tell if you are winking or not. But I like the effect of it. You are facing the camera but we got your profile (side view). It remembers me of cubism painting, because it is all about showing different sides of the same object to represent volume and time (movement). And that's creativity in all its power!

Bill2849 - I'm not the best person to say if it meets the qualifications or not, beacuse I'm quite new around here. (scomatic says newbies are only for the first time, but I'm still not comfortable to answer that - how did they put me judging this thing anyway???)
For me this photo is great, because I'm not new only in these forums, I'm also a new photographer and post-processing is something I also want to learn about, so I think we could discuss it somewhere (probably it is being discussed in some threads, but I haven't found them yet). So, all these words just to say that I think post processing can be a great tool to be creative, I only wish I knew how to.
And for the photography itself, I can't see that silk effect you mentioned. To me, it looks like it has a wall behind it, I can see the texture of the painting and even the craks in it. And the funny thing is that the branch got that texture too, so it looks somehow transparent as if it all became water and ice... I like it!

And now the most difficult part... choosing a winner. As I review all the entries, I think it is quite well shown what creative power can be in photography: unexpected looks to the world around us that can push up the imagination of the observer and make him dream with us... were there any doubts? Thank you all from what I learned from you

3rd place
noelcm (are we still friends? )

2nd place
scomatic - that one is hard to beat

1st place
Dieterson - for making us dream and, that way, showing all of us what creative power is about

Views: 1,408
03-03-2015, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great job of commenting and judging, Helena. I enjoyed your insights on each of the works submitted here. I think you have a good eye and exercised good judgment in your selection of the winner and runners-up. Congratulations to Dieterson for the first-place entry and to Scomatic and Noel for getting 2nd and 3rd place honors. I'm looking forward to this week's challenge.
03-03-2015, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Dieterson! Love the whole concept and your dream come true! Congrats as well to Noel and Scomatic ... those are amazing and creative images. Great work Helena...thank you for your comments and insights. I really liked your lamp filament shot, btw.
03-03-2015, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulations Dieterson! I really enjoy your photo. Congratulations to Scomatic and Noel also for your fine photos. Like Helena, I'd really like to know how you each set up your photos.

Helena, you did a super job! Thanks for judging and commenting so insightfully. You may be new to judging and to photography, but you have a fine eye and a command of what makes for good photos.

03-03-2015, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Helena,
I'm using the same tactic as Karl Taylor tips... Here is the video, hope all can learn from it...

Great job to Dieterson & Noel, and thanks the comment from Helena too... Btw, I'm sincere apologize for the this week theme was make so many people confused.

Helena - You choose the wrong category... We are Project52 not weekly challenge category

Last edited by scomatic; 03-03-2015 at 07:14 PM.
03-03-2015, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Dieterson on the win ,also scomatic and Noel on the podium finishes.
Thanks Helena on judging ( Well Done) and the comments. The blue was for how I was feeling after all the bad weather we have been having.
03-03-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Well done Helena, thanks for your comments and judgment.
Congrats to Dieterson, scomatic and noel.
03-04-2015, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #8

Oh wow, I did not expect to win. All the more am I happy

Congratulations also to scomatic and Noel. Thank you Helena for your kind comments, now I am looking forward to judge next weeks challenge.

@scomatic: Even if it was maybe a little bit confusing at the beginning, I think this week turned out great. We have seen a lot of very different, creative pictures.

03-04-2015, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job on judging Helena, and I think you got it spot on-that's an evocative image Dieterson-one we all relate to in one way or another. Congratulations, a worthy winner imho, top notch creativity. Congrats too to Scomatic and Noelcmn . Helena, the recipe is:
1. Find a double sink in the kitchen with a tap in the middle. Put a "softening/smoothing" nozzle on the tap.
2. Find a clear Beer glass.
3. Find a LED Light source.
4. Put glass in middle of the sink below the tap, light behind the glass, open tap allowing a strong flow into the glass that creates bubbles and overflow.
5. Camera on Tripod, close by, and shoot, preferably with a remote- otherwise you may have a cranky neck. I could have used the Live view, but I don't
particularly like it.
6. Add some color in PP- I usually start with Microsoft, then Gimp and if necessary, Lightroom 4.
7. Blame Scomatic for making you do weird things -what a good thing no neighbor could see.

BTW, I also tried capturing the vortex of the water flow in the glass, just as you open the tap-but not very successfully. Inflow of water to the left. The timing has to pretty sharp- and I am not that sharp.

OK, so we are still friends!
03-04-2015, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #10

Thanks again Helena for picking my picture as this weeks winner. Here are my thoughts on your entry:

First of all, good photographic technique. Well composed (I like the square format), the glass socket is sharp and thus is a nice contrast to the glowing lights. Lightning is also just perfect, the colour looks realistic and warm.

It is a great entry for the "creativity" week, being creative on several levels. Taking a close-up picture of a bulb is creative in itself, and it also represents "creativity". In German, when somebody has a great idea, we say "ihm ist ein Licht aufgegangen" (literally: "a light turned on for him"). In English, enlightened describes visionary people.Having ideas, being visionary, thinking in unusual ways, all this is part of being creative.

I also like that the glowing wire seems to be interrupted. For me, it creates a dynamic feeling, as if the glowing light is just sparking, flying around, as if I am witnessing the moment of creativity.

So, to conclude, great picture, it represents very well this weeks topic and I like it much!
03-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for your words about my judgement and specially to Dieterson for commenting my entry too. It's great to understand how other people interpret, and how they feel about our photography!
To noelcm and scomatic many many thanks for your explanations and video. I think I can experiment Noel's recip at home... i'll let you know. Won't be so easy to try scomatic's tactic, beacuse that's highly professional for me, with too much equipment... but it was good to learn how it is done!
And for the category, I was trying to change it but I can't! May be you could correct it for me, scomatic! (I thought all of these weekly photo challenges were in the same category, as they are all under this path: PentaxForums.com → Photo Sharing and Galleries → Weekly Photo Challenges →NAME OF THE PROJECT)

And now, next week's challenge!