Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread

PROJECT 52-7-09-Ideas-Art of Fire
Posted By: scomatic, 03-03-2015, 07:33 PM

Welcome to PROJECT 52-7 for the year 2015.

PROJECT 52-7-09-Ideas-Art of Fire

Images for Project 52-7-09 are to be taken between the 03 March 2015 Tuesday and 10 March 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think levelling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

I'm apologize for changing this week theme title due to previous title is hard for sync whole world event... This would be the 1st time for Project 52 having the theme i think.
I'm not sure now difficulty of getting photography the fire also... 1st time attempting too...

Fire is an interesting thing. Watch people around a campfire and it’s easy to see the spell it can cast on us. We have such a deep and instinctive relationship with it, there’s no wonder why including flame in a photo can have such an impact. In this write-up I hope to give you some examples, some understanding of how they’re done, and some direction toward creating your own fire shots.

Fire has always captivated mankind. Attempts to harness and contain it’s power are matched by it’s mesmerizing brilliance. If you’ve ever stared at a shifting flame, you may know the sensation of being lost in it’s rhythmic dance of vapors and flash. Fire photography captures moments of the awesome power that is on display.

Here is tutorial of photograph the fire...

and this: How to Photograph Fire - Digital Photography School

Example of the picture:

Safety First & having fun...

Last edited by scomatic; 03-04-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Views: 3,693
03-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
We can strip the word "work" from the theme name, and make it "Fire"
Say it, brother. Now, lets take a few photos and post them here! :-)

03-04-2015, 07:47 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok... How about make the theme name as Art of fire?

If all agree... i will officially change the title..
03-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #18

Art of Fire sounds cool!
03-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seem like our warrior is agreed... Now the theme title is official change to ART OF FIRE

03-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a cool theme! I'm jumping into the fire
03-07-2015, 01:56 PM - 7 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With no fireplace, no woodstove, no fire-pit outdoors (and three feet of snow on the ground), I had to look inside for inspiration. This is the result...

Light My Fire Pentax K-5IIs, DA 18-55 AL II kit lens, f/16, 30 seconds, ISO 80, tripod, and a Swedish Light My Fire fire steel repeatedly struck in the protection of my kitchen sink with the lights out.

03-08-2015, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes if you are patient enough things will happen. My neighbors decided this afternoon to burn some scrap wood. This was taken with the K-30 and Tamron 90

03-08-2015, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Had a tough time deciding on which way to go, but chose this photo of a candle in a rough-hewn glass crystal candle holder. Taken with my K-x and smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED, at 135mm focal length, f5, ISIO 800, 1/150 sec.

03-08-2015, 09:21 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This week entrance with this picture:

03-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #25

Some nice entries so far!

There is still time to enter the challenge. So go on, post your picture, and make judging even harder for me :-)
03-09-2015, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Finally I have something for this weeks theme
Shot it tonight, with the A50/1.4 lens @ f/2, I've shot several different versions, and at the end with some help from my wife, chose this one.
the lighting other than the candle you can barely see in background was from a flash bouncing behind me, with some very manual modification of its light. LOL

03-09-2015, 12:10 PM - 3 Likes   #27

Photos: Gallery

I don't know if this is something usual around the world, but here it is quite common to put some "firework sticks" (I don't know the name of it in English nor in Portuguese - at home we call it "estrelinhas" wich means "little stars") along with the candles on the birthday cake.
As there was only one left, I had to do it right on the first time I'd try, so I did as it's said in the video. With the lights on, I focused and set the manual mode of the camera thinking that the shutter speed had to be high, and because of that, the aperture had to be the widest to capture something out of those "stars". Then, I turned off the lights and lightened this stick. I only had time to shoot 2 or 3 times to realize that I wasn't getting enough light, so I quickly slowed down the shutter speed, and this is what I got just before it finished to burn.
Maybe I'll buy some more of these to experiment different settings.
03-09-2015, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #28

There are still a couple of hours to go. So, go ahead and post something if you haven't yet

Here is my (not competing) contribution for this week.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-09-2015, 12:50 PM - 4 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helena, they are called Starlight sticks, though I suspect the ones used on cakes are slightly different from the ones used in fireworks. I discovered all of that today, as I went out an bought some of those 15cm stick, 3 pkts of 6 each, with a view to doing "something" when I got home. Well "something" was on strike and gave me nothing. I am using the K200D as the K30 is in for repairs (the autofocus not working and a problem with the power switch). The K200D does not do so well in low light, frustrating getting "something" to oblige. This is about the only one I am not ashamed to post. Then there is the problem that these starlight sticks burn rather fast, and before I knew it, all 18 were gone. Then there was the smell of smoke and burn in the house. Scomatic, I'm gonna get you back!

I wondered how it would look in B/W and I am pleasantly surprised. This is not my official entry, "something" ordered me to use the above image. But I thought I would post the B/W version and see what you think.
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Helena, Noel -may be the same as what we called "sparklers" in my part of the world (at least when I was growing up), although one would not put use these sparklers indoors or on or near cake (or any other edibles). Our sparklers were strictly light duty fireworks. In addition to the stunning shots you have each produced, I am reminded of the effect of these sparklers being moved around to make patterns in the dark.